Discussion Dumb authors

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OldManGu, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No not ever apply modern education into a fantasy or ancient setting for this will only show people that YOU are stupid.

2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, in ancient Greece they believed a woman was born from some random man with headache

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    imK, Kuro_0ni and AMissingLinguist like this.
  3. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Copy-Pasta from Wikipedia about Miraculous Births in Chinese lore

Yellow Emperor
    The Yellow Emperor is sometimes said to have been the fruit of extraordinary birth, as his mother Fubao conceived him as she was aroused, while walking in the country, by a lightning bolt from the Big Dipper.[42]

The Abandoned One
    Qi, the Abandoned One, who later became known as Houji – a culture hero or god of agriculture – was held in some accounts to have been miraculously conceived when his mother, the consort Jiang Yuan, stepped into a footprint left by the supreme god Shangdi.[43]

Laozi
    Some Taoist schools held that Laozi was conceived when his mother gazed upon a falling star. He was born while his mother was leaning against a plum tree. Laozi was said to have emerged as an old man with a full grey beard. This may be because his name – "Old Master" (老子) – can also be read as "Old Child".[44]

Abaoji
    There are some legends about the birth of Abaoji (also known as Yi), the Emperor Taizu of Liao. According to the legends, his mother dreamed that the sun fell from the sky and into her bosom, from which pregnancy followed. When she gave birth, the room is said to have become filled with a mysterious light and extraordinary fragrance. As a newborn, his body was that of a three-year-old, and the legends go on to say that he was walking at the age of three months.[45]

imK likes this.
  4. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the problem is that this clearly wasn't about myth or religion and just a reflection of the author's knowledge of science and lack thereof.

OldManGu and imK like this.
  5. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't read Immortal dad or Empress's Gigolo, but depending on how the author wrote the ambiguous pregnancy.

Like, is it meant to be a joke with the characters? or is it a serious thing and that's just how their story makes babies?

On another line of thought, are they just trying to skirt away from mentioning something sexual, out of fear for censorship?

Just curious

Wujigege likes this.
  6. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s serious in Immortal Dad. The mc was reborn on earth and finds out he had a daughter that way. His baby moma came and told him he was the father. It’s stupid that the mc believed her. I wouldn’t even believe it if I saw a blood test. They also say that she’s still a virgin. So it shouldn’t be a mistranslation. I don’t remember everything about the scene from Empress Gigolo. I just remember that it involved the worlds strongest cultivator.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  7. teargrants

teargrants Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean i've heard that some chinese ppl think girls can get pregnant from handholding. i blame (the lack of) sex ed

shinyeevee and Kuro_0ni like this.
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why is it surprising or dumb?
    in glee, they said that the dude was the father of quinn's child cus he shared a hot tub with her and nobody called him dumb

it's just a lack of sex education

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    "Cases of women get pregnant after swimming in pool" There's plenty cases in google

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  10. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If holy spirits can get virgins pregnant then why can't a swimming pool do it too? #allpregnanciesmatter

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  11. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    I appreciate the reply.

The premise is a virgin birth & lack of understanding how procreation works.

I'm reminded of passive men accepting a women's claim that they are fathers for children they've birthed, but the men had no sexual contact with.

Now that speaks of the male character's naivety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.