More ways our privacy are gone

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Jan 20, 2020.

1. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
  4. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    Sergeant Ferrara found Clearview’s app superior, he said. Its nationwide database of images is much larger, and unlike FACES, Clearview’s algorithm doesn’t require photos of people looking straight at the camera.

“With Clearview, you can use photos that aren’t perfect,” Sergeant Ferrara said. “A person can be wearing a hat or glasses, or it can be a profile shot or partial view of their face.”
    - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/18/...ecognition.html#click=https://t.co/dkfcvNO39F

From the looks of it, might only help a little.

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind.

If something was done against the law, don't do it next time.

Other than that, as long as the facial recognition isn't publicly available, so that all sorts of dubious folks don't just straight up have access to it (e.g. stalkers), more power to us all.

6. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    If the police decided to randomly use it for whatever bad thing... Well good luck. I wouldn't suggest trusting a random stranger even if they are working at the police.

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So just like China's surveillance cams but without the pros of the social credit system? Well, that sucks. I see no problem if it's used properly by law enforcement and unlike a certain program which everyone already knows openly about. Overall, I don't care even if the government is spying on me as usual, as long I'm not a target of some political or diabolical agenda, or a third party uses their database for reasons why people distrust such a program. That said, I hope it helps solve or prevent crimes in both urban and rural areas. The potential of such a program is immense if used for at least a statically objective positive effect on the country. Our main concern though, if that's hacked by hostile forces, we're all doomed.

Milanin likes this.
  8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No system like this has ever been used properly 100% of the time. The Snowden leaks provided the world with knowledge of the illegal spying that the CIA was doing. Not too long after that, reports came to light that every system the CIA had was used improperly by agents to do things like stalk people. I haven't looked for any news stories, but I'm sure that China's surveillance system has been used for nefarious purposes on more than one occasion.
    Different societies have different expectations of privacy. In the US and most other western nations, citizens have a lot more personal autonomy and balk at mass surveillance. In other countries, mass surveillance is part of living in that society. While I'm unhappy that this exists, I'm not surprised. Facebook has had autotagging in pictures for years.
    In the US, citizens have the right against unreasonable search and seizure. Using facial recognition cameras allows law enforcement to cast too wide of a net. Potential crimes aren't crimes. You can't pull someone over for suspicion of DUI in the future. With an accuracy of about 75%, Clearview is far too likely to misidentify an innocent person.

imK likes this.
  9. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    i love the cuteness "absent a very strong federal privacy law" when the government who more collect data. The only government care about privacy to civilians is avoid competion. Be aware that Intel has micro-computers in their hardware since 2009 who control completely your PC and even still colect info with the PC off. Also, China got caught with the same thing in motherboards. We have today people working to ensure a privacy online from software to hardware but its almost a lose battle. the future is shit

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you might be confused about some things. Intel's Management Engine is a completely separate system that exists on the northbridge of most Intel motherboards made after about 2008. It does have nearly full access to your entire system at a hardware level. That much is true. What's not true is that despite it existing for over a decade, there's no evidence to imply that anyone is using IME to collect any data from any computer. Enterprise networks watch their network traffic like a fat kid watches cake. If even a few Intel-based devices were phoning home on a regular basis, it'd be noticed.

The Chinese supply chain attack thing may be true. The only primary source I could find came from a Bloomberg article that was cited by about every other website on the planet. However, I haven't been able to find any followup that validates the claims Bloomberg made. I can't rule out that what Bloomberg found because a similar thing has occurred in cheap Android phones. While the attack was software-based rather than hardware, it accomplished basically the same thing.

Regardless, I don't think we need to worry about foreign threat actors invading our digital privacy. Our old, stupid politicians are doing a great job of that already. The US wants us to put backdoors in every encryption standard going forward. China has basically already done this domestically. Australia's PM said, "The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia," when describing their insane encryption laws.

The only way we win is to fight back. Donate to or volunteer for organizations like the EFF and TOR. Write to your politicians.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Deleted member 25261 likes this.
  11. heyjohnny

heyjohnny New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sad truth. I use tor or vpn to protect my privacy