Question How long do you wait until it's ready to publish?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Snowbun, Jan 23, 2020.

?

How long do you wait?

1. I just publish as it is.

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. I wait for N days and edit it myself later.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. After I have someone proofread it for me.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Depends on my appointed proofreader/editor.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Depends on my boss (I'm paid).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Only publish it after I'm completely satisfied.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  7. Only publish enough to keep it active.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a lot of readers won't bother to re-read a novel after it's been released so I was wondering where does one set the bar as to how long to allow oneself to alter the chapter after it's "finished" but before being "published".

I reckon this is a very recurring subject and all. I just wanted to hear some feedback from active translators.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Vesica, lychee and Wujigege like this.
  2. orioledoll

orioledoll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I edit a chapter 3-7 times before I actually publish it because I have such a difficult time switching from Chinese brain to English brain lol. Usually it takes course over a week, but even after combing through it so much my dumb brain decides it doesn't want to catch mistakes until after it's on the website so I edit it even after publishing sometimes:blobcry:

Luckily, it's just minor mistakes and not syntax! :sweating_profusely:

3. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stick to a publishing schedule of 1 chapter every 5 days. I have about a 4 to 6 chapter buffer, and it's usually 20 to 30 days that the chapter is sitting before it gets published. I edit the chapter the week before it's scheduled to publish, so I get some fairly fresh eyes on it, and I go through it 2 to 3 times. But yeah, I sometimes find small mistakes after publishing too, so I just edit when I find them.

I'm pretty okay with this arrangement. I'm still moving on with my chapters, and it reads decently enough.

Kuro_0ni and Snowbun like this.
  4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I still edit chapters that I published years ago, because I don't have any editors, I learn as I translate chapters. If I learned something new, and I know which chapters I made those mistakes, I'll go back to edit those chapters. If I can't remember I'll search using blogger's search function to locate the mistakes.

5. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, I edit and proofread as I translate to save me some time. This is before publishing. After publishing, I’ll re-read and edit multiple times until I feel it’s good enough. There are some though that I’ll come back to months later, just for the sake of re-reading the story/looking up past events, and then I’ll catch things and will still edit.

6. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I take a day off from it then edit 2-3 times. Each edit is on a different day

7. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine it's different if you have an editor team but since I work on my own, I would first translate a chapter and leave it for stockpile editing then when time comes for publish (usually a week later of translation), I usually take an hour and a half to edit each chapter.
    I do this because it's hard for me to switch my brain from chinese -> english and I usually have to reread the sentences if they flow smoothly or not.
    Nowadays, I'm pressed for time so I edit my words while I translate so when I proofread it before publishing, it would take less time.
    Do I go back to edit previous chapters? I wish I could but I don't really have the time to. Fingers crossed some kind reader will point it out in the comments. :blob_pout:

8. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've also been editing back and forth while I'm translating but I figured out I get really confused sometimes @ .@
    I decided to stockpile as much as I can and go back to edit after a few days or a week (as a lot of you described in your workflow) so I can have a fresh read (and possibly end up with a better text). I have someone helping with proofread/edit so If I just stick to my own translation speed and go publishing slow and steady, I might set a good pace.

Thank you very much for your insight! I really appreciate it!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Kuro_0ni likes this.
  9. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow I didn’t even know there was such a thing as English-Chinese brain lag lmao. I thought my English sentence structure was just deteriorating and was never gonna get back to normal :notlikeblob:

SmoggyBelle likes this.