Discussion ScribbleHub stealing translator's content ( i was wrong)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ninth Autumn, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Ninth Autumn

Ninth Autumn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to be affiliated with a now dead translation group called hontra, however, ever since the site got shut down, the content of the sites were taken without permission and posted on scribblehub with their company name taken as a username showing as if hontra themselves has made the account and magically all the links to the content were changed to scribblehub.

This isn't the only content that has been stolen as I've seen a high number of abandoned work being moved off to scribblehub, I assume without permission and linked there.

I plan on reposting the chapters I've translated on a brand new site, but tbh there really isn't much we can do about how people perceive our work as stolen simply due to scribblehub stealing the content.

The novel in question is https://www.novelupdates.com/series...the-age-of-gods-will-build-a-city-on-my-back/

2. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried reporting to the mod?

3. Ninth Autumn

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider them to be cooperating together, cause until scribblehub was a thing there wasn't sudden appearance of content appearing on royalroad,webnovel or any novel posting platform.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  4. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    but you haven't tried reporting? In case they aren't cooperating, the mods wouldn't know there were stolen works.

5. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How long was your translation group's translated works in hiatus or shut down? If it's within standard procedure, then your group's work can be used or acquired by another. As long there was no legal claim from the author or some contract between your group and theirs.
    Oh, then there's no problem here unless the authors themselves made a claim.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    The creator of ScribbleHub said that he wanted all the 'dead' translation to be posted in scribblehub to help everyone who wanted to read without going into the pirate site. ScribbleHub is ads-free so he won't be making any profit from it.

Contact the mods if you wanted your content to be removed.

7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribblehub was initially created with the intention to host dead translation pages. No one is earning from those translations. If you want to reclaim your translations and close the scribblehub page, contact @Tony with claim?

imK, Hyoketsu, Ophious and 6 others like this.
  8. Ninth Autumn

Reading List:
    Link
    there you go thats the answer i was looking for. I guess i only considered them as pirating but thats one way to look at it I guess.

9. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, there's plenty of stolen work on royalroad and other aggregators...

imK, Hyoketsu and SquadCammander354 like this.
  10. Ninth Autumn

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah not directly linking to the novelupdates and with the same group name pretending to be the same group posting it.

11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mod here.
    If you are the translator, please do contact scribblehub mod/admin.

Some revived dead group have decided to join sh (they will gain control of the account 100%)
    Or
    You could ask the account to be removed.

There's no harm in asking first. I am not a mod there, but I am pretty sure they will help.

Lol. This is the best post I have ever seen in a while.

12. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are mostly simply being rehosted because the original sites that had them died and could not be accessed anymore by readers. They are not being claimed as being translated by ScribbleHub. lastly ScribbleHub and NovelUpdates is run by the same person/people . So just contact @Tony and talk and work things out instead of rashly and perhaps falsely assuming things.

imK, kenar, Hyoketsu and 2 others like this.
  13. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    This baby dragon hasn't been here longer than you but even I know they're simply re-hosting because READERS wanted access to it and not for nefarious purposes =3=)!!!

imK, OnceandFutureLurker and otaku31 like this.
  14. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah this is a misinformed opinion.

Quite a few Webnovel "originals" were actually stolen translations back when the platform first launched. I have no idea if the situation has improved since.

Wattpad is notorious for both stolen translations and plagiarized original stories.

This problem is far from specific to ScribbleHub, and thankfully there are responsive mods here in these forums willing to help you.

imK and CosmicInsomniac like this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Making unsubstantiated claims without any facts.
    I am not surprised either.
    I know people think public shaming is an effective tool but it just makes you look stupid.

Instead of asking questions. You jumped to accusing.
    Very dumb

orematcha, UnGrave, otaku31 and 4 others like this.
  16. Ninth Autumn

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah not directly linking to the novelupdates and with the same group name pretending to be the same group posting it.

There could be more transparent way of doing this rather than anonymously changing the link but with the same group, things like a note or footnote will make this less shadier.

17. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what scribblehub doing is god's work and this post kinda rubs me the wrong way tbh. You didn't give 2 shiets about the novel "you translated" since the middle of 2018 and even let the site go down, and when someone put it on their "non profit" portal under the damn HONTRA name, suddenly it became gold? I'm sorry if this is offensive but this wouldn't happen if you, any of you cared. Also the fact that you claim ownership to something that lies in the gray zone is kinda funny.

UnGrave, imK, StuffedDuck and 3 others like this.
  18. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of tl sites with dead links have a SH site for the chapters(e.g tensei shitara slime)
    I think this is just easier for people who want to read a certain novel but is unable to due to the inactivity-> death of the original site

imK, otaku31, Wujigege and 1 other person like this.
  19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I probably need to complain about A novel which I got previous translations from the translator when their wordpress website got shutdown but I didnt bother but this reminded me lol

20. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be honest, that "makes you look stupid" only works if the OP even had any name for himself, or someone more well-known, which he probably wasn't.
    So, between spending countless time(whether short or long) trying to research about something or making a ridiculous, overreact post about it, considering it's a popular topic, and wait for people to answer what you need, then which is more profitable?
    ^ This post of the OP spoke what he wanted.

Wujigege likes this.