Virus Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kuroAnsatsu, Jan 23, 2020.

1. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I meant more this kind of full sink. This image is exaggerated of course, but either way though, the result is running water doesn't all head to the drain.
    [​IMG]

And yes, I know about how soap works. I still remember those corny elementary school posters about how soap "makes friends" with bad bacteria. I have found it curious for awhile now there are so many types of soap yet they don't seem particularly different. I guess it's so basic that companies can't resist muscling into the market.

Anyway where I live isn't as bad as you seem to be thinking. I live in the USA. It's just my family lives somewhere relatively...detached. We have to obtain our own water, clear the woods, etc. We don't have all the utilities one takes for granted in the city.

They are sensible enough not to leave a clogged sink. But they definitely do leave out dirty cutting boards and kitchen knives, accidentally splash water, and do some stuff I consider less than hygienic. I honestly doubt most families don't behave similarly, to be blunt. Especially large ones.

2. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're going to leave anything out, these are pretty much the two things you don't want to leave out.

chencking likes this.
  3. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Beats putting them away, honestly. That would suck. But yeah, as I mentioned in an earlier post it depends who cooks. You can do everything right but someone else will still leave cross-contaminated utensils for you.

Also as a random aside, can juices from pre-cooked meats also cause cross-contamination? Or are the bacteria not a risk in that case.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you keep it away from bacteria after cooking, it's "sterile". Bacteria has to come from somewhere, they don't spontanously appear so if it is sealed properly, it is safe. If it isn't sealed properly...... good luck. Which is why I say most cross contamination comes from human laziness or carelessness. And no insult intended but I suspect your family certainly qualifies. At 80 degrees (technically 72 and 74 degrees), DNA unravels, so if cooked properly, the bacteria would be as dead as can be without the ability to reproduce.

Kuro_0ni, imK and chencking like this.
  5. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting. That explains why some foods do not need to be frozen until opened. As for my family...well, think what you will. Communicating over the internet is too inefficient to accurately depict one's circumstances anyways. I appreciate the conversation.

Kuro_0ni and imK like this.