Discussion Why I can't ship Bingqiu...no hate just an honest humble opinion.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Akira-chanu, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Akira-chanu

Akira-chanu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm gonna say what I want and I mean no harm nor am I trying to start a fight.

I don't ship Bingqiu. I don't care if you do or not. People have the right to ship who they want to.

I do admit that they are cute later on when they are in a mutual loving relationship.

I just do not like how they got there or their relationship going into it.

Binghe was a person who was not shown a lot of kindness in his life so his Shizun showing care was big for him.
    It just feels wrong to me that Binghe feels the need to threaten the MC to go with him.

I just personally feel like the relationship should be something that both parties wanted equally. It's not fair to either of them if one person is putting in more effort than the other. And at the time the MC might not have known that that was the type of relationship he wanted.
    Shen Qingqiu needed to come to terms with his feelings on his own. Not to be thrown into situations where he had to make that decision or something bad would happen.

I know some get into a relationship and become better with their partner at their side and there are others where both people come together happy with who and where they are in life and would like a partner to accompany them. Not because the need the other but because living with the other person would make them happy too

People who don't ship Bingqiu could have reasons:
    ~Binghe could've fallen for anyone who had shown him the kindness that Shen Qingqiu had.
    ~The pushiness was not their cup of tea.
    ~They were looking for something more mutual

Personally I can't ship them because in my mind Shen Qingqiu saw Binghe grow up. He basically raised the boy. I can see them as father and son much easier. Also in a cultivation world a Master is a Master and a Disciple a Disciple.
    This is the same reason why I can only ship teacher-student in modern text if the student graduates. If they had taken more time. (They are cultivators after all. A few decades/centuries is nothing.) And if Binghe had seen more of the world and came back more mature and steady and had more experience in telling these feelings apart, I would've been very accepting. That would be a Binghe who has matured enough mentally to know what he wants is truly what he wants and is not some type of admiration or infatuation.

I'd like to hear the opinions of others. Why DO/DON'T you ship Bingqiu.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. pepeoo

pepeoo high lord of the seven seas

Reading List:
    Link
    which book is this?

SenjiQ likes this.
  3. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    Scum Villain's Self-Saving System

4. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Who in hell even are they...

chins4tw, Tofu Cat, Dr_H_16 and 7 others like this.
  5. Ghost_of_a_Witch

Ghost_of_a_Witch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can probably put me down for a non-shipper for this cp. I haven't read the book, but it's exactly because I heard the couple has the good, old relationship dynamic of practically being forced on one of the parties, that eventhough I like Mo Xiang Tongxiu's other translated works I am not willing to pick up this one.

rere_86 and Akira-chanu like this.
  6. orioledoll

orioledoll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello Scum Villain discussion? I'm in! I'm not going to lie, your points are solid I'm convinced on why some people don't ship it. Really appreciate how you laid it all out in such a logical way too. I generally just read and don't analyze things too deeply before I go "I like it" or "I don't like it," so my opinion can be easily changed and taken with a grain of salt lol. But here's my two cents on the ship:

First off, I'd like to say if this was a platonic sort of novel, I'd probably like it just as much. I'm very much a sucker for protecting underdogs, and LBH is pretty much like the doormat of the world before he pulled out a gothic excalibur.

I didn't really think much on the teacher-disciple relationship because to me, SQQ is pretty much the older brother figure trying to fill in the shoes of a father. He's managing on the outside, but on the inside, he's a mess. LBH is equally a mess, with all he experiences. In the end, I just thought the novel was the two of them developing together, and helping and unintentionally hurting each other to grow. It's not the best relationship, not ideal at all, but I also think that's what MXTX was trying to convey in their dynamic: there's an imbalance, it's imperfect, and they're learning.

Binghe, of course, is a pushy person, no doubt about it. It can come off as annoying irl, or at worst, manipulative because he cries when denied. Yet, it's not as if SQQ doesn't know how to say no. In fact, he says a metaphorical no like 70% of the novel :blobsweat:. Binghe, unlike his original in PIDW, also learns not to demand what can't be forced, and SQQ learns how to acquiesce, after acknowledging his feelings for Binghe. It might not be love at first, but there was definitely affection. And as they are cultivators, once a few decades pass, the age difference is negligible as they grow to know each other more.

One could argue this novel was a prologue to their relationship. Nothing is official until the very, very end, in the last chapter, where Binghe decides to let go, and SQQ decides to follow Binghe. There, the power imbalance shifts when two extremes pull back, and take opposite stances. It's a breath of relief, but its not like they're at the pinnacle of their love. Even in the extras, there's no marriage. Just the thought of it as Binghe wishes to propose, but never actually does get to do it in text. There's still insecurity there, and they're still working it out, even in the epilogues.

For me, this kind of relationship with all its problems and lack of mutuality is something I'd hate to see irl, but it's understandable, and it might even exist irl. No relationship is perfect, but after all the trials they go through, they really make me want to root for them.

Bitter, rere_86, wendamaze and 6 others like this.
  7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Why I can't ship Bingqiu"

Have you tried disassembling it a little? Maybe you might need a bigger box. Or is it a customs issue? Some places might have it banned.

:whistle:

orioledoll and Meloman like this.
  8. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll bite:
    I ship BingQiu because it was riveting to watch them get together. I enjoyed SQQ’s misunderstanding, I personally live for dense protags who don’t know xyz is in love with them. Also the moment they go “they love WHO?!” Is delicious to me. I like the chasing part of romances, and I just really like Binghe because he never gave up. He even ruined his reputation for this one man, he would have given up everything. I don’t mind student x teacher romances so long as student is in love first and chases the teacher.

And, of course, obligatory defense for BingQiu, but this is not an attack. I am firm on everyone should be able to ship what they like:

I don’t think nor feel Binghe forces SQQ into a relationship, yes he chases SQQ throughout the story but that’s because the man literally evaded LBH with every bone in his body. SQQ didn’t give LBH a single chance to talk or clear up misunderstandings, he’s convinced from the start that LBH’s gonna murder him and rejects every single attempt LBH tries to extend an olive branch. Literally the last time they had an actual convo, SQQ tossed him into the Abyss and after that SQQ washes his hands of LBH when LBH just wanted to know what he did wrong to have SQQ reject him so hard he couldn’t even let LBH stay by his side as a disciple. SQQ himself didn’t give two shits the people around him, because everyone was a character still in his mind. He referred to them as cannon fodder even. It’s not until Binghe shows his interest in the most blatant way possible (a kiss) that he even gets that his “binghe’s my fav character” attitude = “I love him”.

Would Binghe fall in love with anyone who gave him an ounce of love? Honestly in my opinion, yeah but no one did. NYY tried, but SQQ was the only one at the time he was able to give him a home, a purpose and a place to belong when he was literally at the lowest point of his life. Everyone else started to give him respect when he started to get merit, but it’s hard to let go the person who gave you a shot when you were powerless and tiny.

9. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am bad at words but I agree with this.
    I agree that Binghe could've fallen for anyone who had shown him kindness. However, the thing is only Shen Qingqui who had shown kindness in that novel. Both of them have been through too much, so in the end I just wish them a happy ending.

Akira-chanu likes this.
  10. teargrants

teargrants Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh mxtx cp's dynamic are all the same to me.
    "shou dies and gong waits for x amount of years for him to come back and is utterly and entirely devoted to him and him only while the shou is blissfully ignorant/oblivious. also past plays a big role."
    once you've read one mxtx novel you've read them all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  11. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly.

I admit, I prefer LQG/SQQ over BingQiu. Though reading Bing He's reactions and Shizun misinterpreting them was so much fun. It's just...they payoff at the end of the novel is not so great. Then again one doesn't read SVSSS primarily for romance, but for the sheer fun factor...

Bitter, rere_86, Saikyi and 1 other person like this.
  12. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    Very understandable. This is one of the reasons I don't want to get into lots of novels. Thank you for your opinion.

13. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    "Gothic Excalibur" is such a perfect phrase for what happens that I can't even....

Yes. I too love to root for the underdogs and be by their side when they give the world and fate the middle finger.
    It does look like a very very rocky beginnings of a relationship, but you do have a point that they both grow as people don't they? I'm sure with time they'll figure it out. They certainly have centuries after all.
    If SQQ ever cultivates enough to be qualified for godhood would he choose to stay with LBH in the mortal plane? Or maybe LBH could become a demonic God at the same time. But....can a demonic God....acsend??? Probably because this is Eastern fantasy...idk...

rere_86 likes this.
  14. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    TE="YoriMei, post: 5394439, member: 128837"]I’ll bite:
    I ship BingQiu because it was riveting to watch them get together. I enjoyed SQQ’s misunderstanding, I personally live for dense protags who don’t know xyz is in love with them. Also the moment they go “they love WHO?!” Is delicious to me. I like the chasing part of romances, and I just really like Binghe because he never gave up. He even ruined his reputation for this one man, he would have given up everything. I don’t mind student x teacher romances so long as student is in love first and chases the teacher.

And, of course, obligatory defense for BingQiu, but this is not an attack. I am firm on everyone should be able to ship what they like:

I don’t think nor feel Binghe forces SQQ into a relationship, yes he chases SQQ throughout the story but that’s because the man literally evaded LBH with every bone in his body. SQQ didn’t give LBH a single chance to talk or clear up misunderstandings, he’s convinced from the start that LBH’s gonna murder him and rejects every single attempt LBH tries to extend an olive branch. Literally the last time they had an actual convo, SQQ tossed him into the Abyss and after that SQQ washes his hands of LBH when LBH just wanted to know what he did wrong to have SQQ reject him so hard he couldn’t even let LBH stay by his side as a disciple. SQQ himself didn’t give two shits the people around him, because everyone was a character still in his mind. He referred to them as cannon fodder even. It’s not until Binghe shows his interest in the most blatant way possible (a kiss) that he even gets that his “binghe’s my fav character” attitude = “I love him”.

Would Binghe fall in love with anyone who gave him an ounce of love? Honestly in my opinion, yeah but no one did. NYY tried, but SQQ was the only one at the time he was able to give him a home, a purpose and a place to belong when he was literally at the lowest point of his life. Everyone else started to give him respect when he started to get merit, but it’s hard to let go the person who gave you a shot when you were powerless and tiny.[/QUOTE]

Yes this novel is FULL of misunderstanding cake with misunderstanding frosting on top of it isn't it?
    You bring up a good point here that SQQ was treating them not as people but as characters with a role to play. That certainly brings a bit of distance to any relationship, romantic or not. Once SQQ decides that this is reality now and these characters are people with feelings he starts to change little by little. That man can convincingly lie to himself for years apparently....or rather just chose to not see it.

About the people surrounding you in times of highs but deserting at low times yeah I get that...it's pretty harsh, and a shoulder to lean on then, is very appreciated isn't it? Though I bet Binghe has cursed his blood before and wondered why he couldn't achieve that power without his demonic heritage. Like just prove to the world that HE was enough the way he was. That HE was worthy of that merit not because of something inborn or given to him but because he made himself that way. As he grew up I can imagine that he wants to prove himself not only to the world but also to himself.

15. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooof if they are all like that then I'm def. not reading Heavens' Official Blessings

blues86 likes this.
  16. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. No doubt if I could make it so SQQ was transmigrated right when he became peak lord I would. Or from like when SQQ was a baby/toddler to change SQQ's and the sect leader's (I'm blanking on the name...) past.
    He would've had so much time to plan and to try to change EVERYTHING. Like give a novel protagonist a good childhood for once and try to make it so that the Peak or just entire Sect was more like an accepting supportive family. Give him a good environment and upbringing. If only right?

I'd love to punch airplane bro in the face...just once... because why couldn't he have written a slice of life novel that concentrates on adventures in the cultivation world? I would've LOVED THAT!

blues86 likes this.
  17. Akira-chanu

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooo a fellow LQG/SQQ shipper I see!
    Yeah, SQQ's inner monologue was comedy gold! They were just both sooo far off sometimes.

Yeah...I kinda wish there was more adventure/actual cultivating in all honesty. Lol yes fun factor is a point.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  18. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you'll be missing out a lot, since it's her best novel.

rere_86 likes this.
  19. Ghost_of_a_Witch

Ghost_of_a_Witch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll have to second that. While the cp dynamics are roughly the same of the stories (at least of the ones I've read - shou doesn't die in this one though), the author's ability to play on one's heartstrings certainly doesn't diminish.

rere_86 likes this.
  20. teargrants

teargrants Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean, saying "x is her best novel" is entirely subjective. and mxtx fans say that about each of her novels ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shinyeevee and Sa76 like this.