Discussion My Korean Novel Experience So Far

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HankyPanky2.0, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    OVERGEARED FOR ME

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading tons of Korean novel.
    I learned only one thing that Koreans love their track suit.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    readerz and Wujigege like this.
  3. NoobaLoob

NoobaLoob Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Korean novels seem to have the most diverse MC’s, but much like Chinese/Japanese MC’s, you rarely find an even keeled one.

I think the main trait for a Korean MC is being an very inwardly greedy, but will begrudgingly do nice things (where as Japanese characters are typically good and Chinese characters are just put in situations to ‘justify’ their evil actions). Oh and also they abuse their animal/NPC companions.

I guess at the end of the day.... everyone wants to be Weed (from LMS) haha

One thing I dislike in general about Asian novels is the nationalism.. it comes in various degrees but it’s always annoying. Like, no Japanese martial arts aren’t the best ever ever ever and katakanas are not magical beautiful things. Mainland China is not “the world” and any other BS involving the ‘superior’ Han people is a joke. Korean novels have the least nationalism but still it shows up in major novels (like overgeared).

4. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think this is true. In my experience Korean and Chinese novels especially in modern day settings tend to be very nationalistic, compared to the Japanese.

5. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about reincarnator? Hasn't gotten updated since forever, and started out strong, while the last few parts depends on the readers' preference imo

kkgoh likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Swordmeister of Rome is completed and might strike your fancy
    It wasnt my cup of tea
    Korean authors cant write romance
    I dont know why they even bother

7. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end all of those asian novels have their flaws and pros like anything else, be it chinese/korean/Japanese, i'm not much fond of the korean ones, i'm not sure if its because i didn't find the right ones yet, but if something its clear to me its that most of works wont be really good but there will be surely something out there that at least its enjoyable

But something i noticed its that japanese ones seems to have less of nationalism and discrmination beetwen races/species than korean and chineses ones,i see more authors in modern settings that are willing to bring others countries in the work and not make them some bad place or the mc bringing superiority of japan,which is pretty interesting to me since i've heard people there can be really xenophobic, get me to believe that people there that read this works wish to go to a place that this kind of stuff wouldnt show up,that the pressure of society wouldnt be there(understanble knowing anything about asiatic countries)

firefox1234 likes this.
  8. NoobaLoob

NoobaLoob Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, the Japanese novels usually don’t say Japanese people are the best... but nearly EVERY Japanese novel goes on about katanas/soy sauce/Japanese martial arts. So while I agree to a degree (some major Chinese novels are just plainly racist for example), I think Japanese novels are way more over the top in that regard.

9. firefox1234

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess our view on what "over the top" nationalism is differs. I don't mind propagating ones culture such as food but when it comes to stuff like making it seem like one set of people are inherently better or worse than another group of people, it hits my buttons. That is what Korean and Chinese stories nationalistic approach is, and for me it kills an immersion to a story when Korean or Chinese(depending on the author) are depicted as the smartest people in the room and everyone else is dumb or considered trash(especially there Asian counterparts).

Like you said Japanese stories don't depict there nationalism as "Japanese people are the best" that for me doesn't kill the immersion as much as the other two who make it very obvious that is what the are trying to imply if not explicitly say.

Matteus likes this.
  10. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone else is a Returnee
    (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

That novel is so bad... I'd better off reading a hot-blooded MC with heavenly beauty babes than EER, I don't know why people like it...

firefox1234, EnuoFH and blues86 like this.
  11. firefox1234

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't call it bad but it is very overrated. It was pretty entertaining but for something rated so highly on NU you would expect something much much better. In my opinion it's not much better than some of the popular CN cultivation novels.

It was also my first experience with nationalism in KR novels and frankly it was also no better than CN novels. The whole idea of propagating "my people are better than your people" will always be a turn off for me. I understand these Asian countries have a lot of beef but I wish there writers could stop putting it in there writing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Matteus likes this.
  12. Lexyth

Lexyth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SSS-Class Suicide Hunter go translated up to chapter 25 with an ... acceptable translation at webnovel. Though afterwards (26-55 for now) it‘s just mtl gibberish copy pasted from koreannovelmtl (where it goes up to over 200, so no point in waiting for those to be copy pasted into webnovel... but the quality is unreadable... literally...) Wish someone would pick it up and make a good translation... Also, EER was my first Korean Novel (although i‘m not sure if i read it before WMW, then it‘d also be my first Novel in general) ^^

13. Sword of The Fake Monarch

Sword of The Fake Monarch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The drama ruined The Novel’s Extra for me. Yes, the start was good but then it just got to much.
    Have you read The Story of A Big Player From Gangnam. I tend to enjoy the business oriented Korean novels more,.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.