Question Which Novels Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SquadCammander354, Jan 27, 2020.

?

Which Novels Do You Prefer?

1. Japanese Novels

22.0%
  2. Chinese Novels

22.0%
  3. Korean Novels

19.5%
  4. English Novels

12.2%
  5. (“ಠ_ಠ) I see no difference.

24.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read Chinese novels and these are definitely my favorite. As usual, my experience with Chinese novels is completely different from what other people are say in regards to recycled plots and the like. One of these days I might actually check out these books to see if it's true, but I've been put off enough that it's not going to be any time soon. Instead, I tend to read historical novels, and the Chinese versions of these are so incredibly rich that I haven't been able to find their equal in any other language.

I do read a bunch of Japanese webnovels, and they're mostly pretty bad. But that's okay because it's possible to enjoy bad books. I don't read Korean webnovels in general, but the one I checked out is a lot better than their Japanese counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised if Korean webnovel writers are a lot better because they actually care about things like proper creative writing.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure, there isn't just one :hmm:

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  3. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Which one would you save in the apocalypse? ("ಠ_ಠ)>

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    All that I like

5. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    There's good stuff from every country, but I do note one thing about English novels-- they're significantly slower-paced. Each chapter often contains long paragraphs of descriptions, monologues, and exposition. Conversations between characters are often longer as well.

Asian webnovels do not contain nearly as much description and stuff. There's more focus on the "action", so to speak. Maybe I am spoiled by Asian webnovels because I seem to have a short attention span now.

Recently I re-read one of my favorite books from highschool-- 'Shogun' by James Clavell. I used to adore that book, but now, re-reading it felt so long. It's 998 pages, but I felt as though... not much happened?

I can't seem to focus on reading Western novels anymore, because they seem to be so slow on the plot progression. And every fantasy novelist acts as if they have to write a long series consisting of 3-7 books :blobunamused: I guess I just got used to the fast-paced CN novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.