Discussion People trashing novels just cause of it genre

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Atl92, Jan 27, 2020.

?

Are people trashing novels just off genre?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Depends on novel

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Haven't noticed

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do I feel like there are more and more people trashing novels just based off the genre? Two big examples I can think of are Isekai and Cultivation novels. It's like people see that tag and instantly go into the novel with a bad mood and end up hating it cause of it, I swear. I see a lot of people rating novels badly based off the first chapter, and don't even let it evolve into it's own novel.

I feel like people are so thirsty for reading a great novel, that they are mistaking average for trash, and it kind of annoys me. Am I the only one that feels this way? Or is this something that is really becoming more and more prevalent as the translation community grows?

Hell I even feel like when the translation community was small we only got great novels and that's what we became used to, but now it's grown and we get average novels and people mistake it for trash.

Edit: I know we get trashy novels too

Well anyways whats your guys opinions on this? I probably wont reply much, and more read your guys opinions and discussion on this topic.

Tpst, Hegao, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  2. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it happens because it happens to BL ALL the time. So many people go rate it 0 like dude we don't care that you hate a genre that's not what this is for, this is for us who are interested in reading this novel to know what others who HAVE READ IT feel

Japorea, Atl92, Bitter and 3 others like this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    There's more people rating it 5 stars just because it's BL than there are people rating it 1 star because of it.

Dr_H_16, samjack, Rumby and 11 others like this.
  4. Atl92

Reading List:
    Link
    This, I don't like reading BL between main characters, if it's side characters I don't mind. Because of this I avoid BL novels and I never rate novels that have BL between main characters. It's not fair for me to hate a genre and then rate it treating it like genres I enjoy.

5. Atl92

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there really?

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people that dislike BL already filter it out of their update list. Look at how many shoujo and BL novels there are in the top novel listings because of fangirls.

Dr_H_16, Minokyuu, GDLiZy and 6 others like this.
  7. Xinneth

Xinneth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen many people rate the novels based on the first chapters. I don't think that is a good thing. I am one of the people that write a review only if i really like the novel. I also read some novels based on the reviews of people that are in advanced chapters.

8. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't rate novels in general but my two cents:

It's accurate for me as far as cultivation novels go because they are almost always mc is bullied trash, mc kills everyone for not worshipping him when he was trash, endless revenge chains carbon copy trope.

If they break out of that then I give them a chance.

Atl92 likes this.
  9. Atl92

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh I wouldnt know, I mean I don't read BL and most shoujo I only touch when it's in manga form unless you count otome game novels.

10. Atl92

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see why people dislike that, hell im a fan of cultivation novels and agree the beginning arc is the worst part of those novels by far. Hell I even dropped my favorite cultivation novel Renegade Immortal cause of its slow start, but picked it back up and I love it now.

11. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People trash novels not by genre but by the novel using all of the tried and tested stereotypes of that genre.

No I do not want to read another OP beta Japanese MC who was reincarnated into a fantasy world and has a harem of beast girls.

No I do not want to read another cultivation novel where the MC's cultivation is trash, wedding is canceled, he's almost killed but in the cave that he ends up downriver there's a mystical grandpa in a ring.

Yes I do want to read another villainess in another world story because it usually has a lot of characterization and the tropes aren't as defined so I don't get annoyed as easily.

Bazikiller, Fuyuneko and Atl92 like this.
  12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, if people truly dislike isekai and cultivation althogether they are more likely to avoid the novel entirely rather than going into it with a bad mood if they see those tags.
    It is people that want to read those kinds of stories done better that are most likely to actually trash them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Bazikiller, Fuyuneko, GDLiZy and 4 others like this.
  13. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    If I don't like novels it's not from genre, it must be from bad storytelling or not entertain for me. I just stop read those novels. I wouldn't say "Hey don't read those novel, they're trash", I just let other people mind their own bussines.

Atl92, felidormit and Loni4ever like this.
  14. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I probably don't trash novels because of their genre (like rating them badly after reading only one chapter) but I do tend to avoid them accordingly. I avoid certain genres, tropes and oftentimes type of synopsis contents. Some of these tend to be somewhat reliable indicators of a novel being trashy (at least imo).
    I avoid the genre harem and tag reverse harem, most of the novels literally containing a(n imperial) harem and if the synopsis contains sth like this, I'll almost certainly steer clear of it: "In her former life she was betrayed and killed by her fiancé and sister. Venomous aunt? Tyrannical grandmother? Ungrateful brother? With the help of her magical space, she'll overturn her fate and make all those evildoers pay. [insert sth about face-slapping][insert sth about OP ML dubconning the MC into sexual stuff]". I've seen that so often that just looking at it ...
    [​IMG]
    XDDD

I don't think I've ever rated a novel based on just a couple of chapters, much less only one. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense either. To me, it's kinda stupid and almost disrespectful too. Like, if you already plan on announcing your opinion to the world, then at least make sure it's not based on such a tiny amount of info it basically guarantees it's inaccurate crap?

And yeah, I think it may be possible that standards became kinda high. Even so, that doesn't mean people rate stuff badly after reading only a chapter or two. That's just them stupidly slapping a cover onto a book they haven't read enough of to give an appropriate cover by which the book may be judged.

15. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Blind hate is real you know... oh, the mc start off as trash and was bullied, instant dislike. Oh, the mc is chunibyo virgin, instant dislike. Oh, this is going to be harem, instant dislike.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    fail to live expectation, usually when on beginning character kinda smart but become idiot or have diiferent approach on genre but turn on typical~
    random reading~ few chap read then trash
    bored seeing certain trope~
    wrong audience~ this can mean reader read thing wrongly example is shinka no mi which focus on comedy but there review wanna full blown typical action story~ character grow and such~ really? seriously? martial king retired live, review typically pop up on xuanhuan come~ really? do we read same story?

kenar and Atl92 like this.
  17. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see a lot of this, some novels have a certain focus and i see people complaining about not being about something else for no reason,i also see people just not bothering with details from the works and doing reviews without reflecting on what they read and just taking everything literally...

kenar likes this.
  18. mameko

mameko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's reviews that legit go: "The age gap kind of makes me uncomfortable but the interactions between them are so cute!" and give it a five star.
    I think there's nothing wrong with this tbh.

I feel like there are moments where I relate to the genre-trashers, and moments when I relate to the genre-guardians-- both of which are completely okay. For example, I specifically avoid isekai bullied harem OP protagonist tags. Off the top of my head, I probably only read three? Shield Hero, Arifureta, and Death Mage who... in that order. Those three IMHO are the classics, the original isekai in my heart. I don't read others like Skilltaker, world creator, building a harem, because my top 3 are already filled and those new isekai sully the classic isekai of my childhood. Why would I want to swallow another regurgitated story?

On the other hand, I love revenge/rebirth novels with female protagonists no matter the setting. Revenge of a concubine in Ancient China? OK! Rebirth of a betrayed empress? OK! Revenge of a fallen duchess (KR)? OK! Rebirth with a kid? OK! Rebirth! Revenge! Female protags! I get that people get mad if I diss isekai, because I get frustrated when people dismiss this trope-y genre that I enjoy.

I think as the translation community expands, such divides are good things. That means we have enough people to form sub-communities! We're good! We have lots of people and lots of books and we have opinions on things,,, because we have read a lot in that genre to understand that that! That is a stereotype that I can make. (If you make a stereotype of a genre after reading one book in that genre though you're just disrespectful and inconsiderate! Read more!)

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  19. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, for most series the initial chapters are the weakest, and the most similar to other stories, the value of a story is not where it starts, but how it develops. You can have very similar starts, especially in stories that are part of certain genres or following trends (how many westerns start with a gunslinger walking into town), but how the story develops and distinguishes itself from there is what is important.

There can be some choices made in the opening that are bad, and hard or even impossible to recover from, but unless those are things that will not go away then they are not a real issue.
    Which is not a valid reason to trash it, especialyl at the beginning of a story when almost every genre-hater troll review/rating is limited to. The tropes are tropes for a reason, they work and make sense.
    For some genres you basically have to use so many tropes for them to work. For Isekai stories, there is pretty much a limited number of ways to start the story, though they can be re-skinned but there is only a handful of different core versions, Summon, Reincarnation, slipped through a door/crack, individual or group. followed by the initial adaptation to the world, which can be rushed or detailed.
    tropes are not a problem, how well they are used can be a valid critique, but "he used X, so it is trash" is just being an immature troll.

Tpst, Atl92 and Nisaea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.