Question A good way to find this kind of CN/JP novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by EnuoFH, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its been several years since i've been following several kinds of novels but i lately realized that what is tiring me isn't the style of the works, but the fact that every work pretty much all characters or relevant ones have Chinese/Japanese name

I often read isekai works,multiple realms,or alternative worlds and it just really started to bother me how everywhere in existence most of relevant names happen to be the type of name you see in their country which kinda of annoys me for a bunch of reasons

So does anyone have any tip or place to find works CN/JP that doesnt feature mc/relevant characters only with CN/JP names?

2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    ? Most isekai JP i know use western name for every character except mc and a few others
    Anyway, the market in each novel is their own country first, so of course the mc name gonna be relevan to their own country
    There's always an exception tho depending on plot

Matteus likes this.
  3. bromnath

bromnath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most series in "western" settings don't use chinese/japanese names.

Just look for
    genre:
    include fantasy
    exclude martial arts

tags
    exclude cultivation

4. Arashi

Arashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    coiling dragon has the western type name scheme by a CN author and i believe stellar transformations does as well so maybe follow one of those related titles

5. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    It's very hard to find a chinese novel where the MC got a western name, but they still exist. If i remember right reverend insanity, warlock of the magus world and coiling dragon are like that (years since i read them, and only an avrage of 100 chapters).
    There are also novels wher the TL change the name from eastern to western like the original TL of Bringing the farm to live in another world.
    But as a rule of tumb, DON'T expect western names in Chinese novels (they got to much pride in being chinese to use a western name).
    For them you should read the description and/or the first few chapters to find the answer.

For Japanese novels, your best chanse of finding a novel with few eastern names is fantasy novels. Well there is also novels here where they use both their japanese name and a western name or a nickname.
    An exsample is death mage where part of the cast use their japanese names (in western format) and a nickname, while others use a new name and a nickname.
    Generly in fantasy novels the MC will most likely keep his japanese name, but everyone else have western names (or a mix of eastern and western).
    This is especialy the chase in reincarnation/transmigation/(summoned to another world) novels.
    Well there is also novels like so what if it's an RPG world? Where both the main cast have a nice mixs of eastern and western names and the inhabitants of that world also have eastern and western names depending on birth place.
    So my addvice for Japaneese novels is the same as for chineese, just stick to fantasy novels and novels not sett here on earth.

Honestly if you want a novel with few eastern names in the main cast, you might also want to check out KR novels. After all, Korea as the great nation it is will rise above everyone else thanks to the work of one genius with a harem of women from acros the globe (basikly just look for toika novels like infinite dungeon society and their recomended novels, there is also the option of VR novels).

Might also be a list for what you are looking for, if not i sugest you make one, so other people could easier find it, if they are looking for something like this.

6. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Throne of Magical Arcana, When A Mage Revolts, and Lord of The Mysteries from off the top of my head. As a bonus they use the western name consistently in both their spoken words as well as thoughts so the reader doesn't have to juggle their names. Advent of The Archmage might also as (relatively)many western fantasy settings do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.