Discussion Ever read a novel where the MCs only flaw is being too perfect?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theilikepie, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading remarried empress i got too thinking. The MC in that was too perfect. In fact, she was so perfect that i felt i was lowering her value her with my eyes while reading. Then the characters in the novel started saying she as perfect and i found myself nodding along. Never had i seen a more perfect Mc, and every other sentence someone would remind me of her perfectness. I looked at the comments and saw that my fellow readers agreed with me. But then i saw it. In the comments. Someone was questioning her perfectness.

I was enraged how dare they speak ill of her perfectness. I was so angry that i dddosed the mainframe and backtracked the external Alienware romdrive to get there address. I went to there house while they were eating.

They were surprised to see me but they shouldn't have been. They should know that by opening their whore mouth and sullying the MC they would get what's coming to them. I held a chair and smashed down hard on them, while screaming, how dare they speak ill of the MC. I kept on hitting them until they went still. Finally when all that remained was red slush i sat the chair down. They had learned their lesson and would never speak ill of her again

Has a character ever made you feel like that?

orematcha, imK, readerz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Pray that someone doesn't rule 34 her

imK, Dr_H_16, otaku31 and 3 others like this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generic and shitty novels with an OP MCs. They are basically cardboard cutouts that are extremely overpowered and their whole point of existence is to jack off the authors raging ego

imK, Mnotia, patient and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong with perfect MC... if they were mean for comedy... even slice of life would be boring if the MC is perfect

imK likes this.
  5. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple Korean action novels made me feel like that (forget the names). Everything seems to go so smoothly for the MC that it's boring. Even the so called challenges get resolved easily.

Also *coughs* the MC in Remarried Empress isn't perfect. If she was, she would have broken up with that damn sonuvabitch faster! One of the rare novels that I enjoyed but dropped because I was pulling my hair out in frustration.

(Runs away before I get murdered)

imK and Toralk like this.
  6. shinikage

shinikage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i really hate that kind of stories, they ALWAYS get boring and repetitive after a while, like HSSB

imK likes this.
  7. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Very occasionally I've been annoyed by an MC that just coincidentally is a master of every skill the situation calls for. Far far more often I get annoyed at commenters calling every MC that doesn't regularly humiliate themselves a "Mary Sue". Or worse still, authors who feel compelled to make their MCs regularly humiliate themselves to make them more "relatable".

As someone who always imagines themselves in the shoes of the MC, I hate the impulsive boneheaded negative-EQ MCs that have become standard in novels these days.

8. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if they're a fictional character, how can a human be perfect? That's impossible. Someone will always find a flaw in them from their perspective even if you think they're perfect.

The fact that the MC was remarried makes her imperfect, at least in the eyes of the previous husband. That's literally in the title.

imK likes this.
  9. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it goes something like "The Rebirth of a Prince Charming". I was really into celebrity novels around 2 yrs ago so I went with it. Half of the chapters are just side characters thinking/saying how handsome the MC is. It was okay for the first 999 times it was mentioned, but there will always be a point that it broke my limit so I finally dropped it after 400+ chapters.

imK likes this.
  10. SuchHappy

SuchHappy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with perfection is that it removes a lot of potential for the author to write in character traits. There's only so much you can do once you write yourself into a hole that doesn't seem like an asspull

imK likes this.
  11. Sword of The Fake Monarch

Sword of The Fake Monarch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Will Eternal, hahaha. Poor BXC is just too perfect.

imK likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a MC, but I've read a fair share of Shoujo mangas in which the Main Love Interest was super perfect and... Those were boring, I dropped them pretty quickly.

Perfect characters aren't interesting and they don't grow.

imK and MagneticMagnet like this.
  13. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP fanfictions's MC

I love an imperfect MC as long as he isn't too much retarded

imK likes this.
  14. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope

Not even Reverend insanity, fang yuan is worthy enough for me to break my head over what others think of him.

anyway, I never seemed to get how some people are so hung up on certain characters that they go to extreme measures, it's one of many enigmas I'm still trying to decode.

imK likes this.
  15. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever heard of the term Marie Sue?

imK likes this.
  16. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Wanna read my biography? :blobuwu:

imK likes this.
  17. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done my best to avoid novels with MCs like those since they tend to be meh or boring. Well... maybe I'll try one of them again to see if there's anything good.

imK likes this.
  18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I don't see protagonist being portrayed as perfect characters all that often. I think that most authors understand that deep down, these characters don't really have enough texture for them to be interesting. They don't make for very good protagonists because there's nothing there for readers to engage with. So instead, perfect characters are generally set up as love interests (mostly in Romance novels). And these love interests end up boring to read because all of the problems with perfect protagonists apply to them as well.

What I tend to see instead are characters that, on paper, could be deemed to be perfect or close to it, but possess characteristics that make them vastly more interesting. It's a much more successful approach and the stories that do this can be very good reads.

imK, Nimroth and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    "Perfect" love interests also have the added annoyance that it is so painfully obvious that they are the intended love interest even when there are other characters presented as potential love interests that are much more interesting.

imK likes this.
  20. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Aww man. I get Second Lead Syndrome (SLS) all the time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Nimroth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.