Most Hated Isekai Cliche

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Goblin Sleuth, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Which cliche do you detest the most?

1. Death by truck!

2. Dubious Summoning...

3. Leave forest, carriage event!

4. Accelerated Leveling

5. Weak, but becomes strong immediately.

6. It is humans who are evil!

7. Demihuman Discrimination...

8. Slavery is evil; protagonist owns slaves.

9. Obnoxious Pet Baby Monster!

10. Adventurers Guild (Who are really just mercenaries.)

11. Adventure Ranking System Info Dump

12. Slave girl wants to remain a slave.

13. Monster Protagonist; immediately gain human transformation.

14. Monster Protagonist; create monster society, and/or become demon king.

15. Mary Sue Syndrome

16. Skill Stealing.

17. Other

18. Dropout becomes genius thanks to modern knowledge.

19. Locals like protagonist weird foreign food infinitely better than the food from their homeland.

20. Lazy One Dimensionally Cannon Fodder Antagonist.

21. Average low self esteem, become sexy babe magnet in another world.

22. Protagonist is aware that they're in an isekai, acts like nothing can hurt them.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    MC is an average/ugly looking neet who no one ever wants to talk to. He goes to another world and women ignore all the handsome men in their lives to follow the MC dropping everything from their jobs to pretty much everything just to be part of this ugly/average guys harem.

Of course said guy tells himself they are not serious and thinks they will find a guy they like and move on. In the meantime, the MC will "protect them from all other men" so that will never happen. (despite them more than capable of taking care of themselves)

BurgerKong, imK, Araenn and 8 others like this.
  2. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That one I can actually believe. Imagine living a life of slavery and all of a sudden someone comes along and buys you. This new person doesn't treat you like a typical slave. Assuming it's the MC reincarnated from earth, you get all the advantages of a "modern day" work ethic but with none of downside of slavery. After getting accustomed to that treatment and getting comfortable in this new life, your master tries to take that away from you. I can understand due to their view of the world how they'd hate to lose the bond that forces them into that new life.

imK, MagneticMagnet, Gitami and 7 others like this.
  3. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    GOD or R.O.B

4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary Sue Syndrome- almost every novel with this teope is shit. If the MC can just brute force every problem easily and the side characters jacking the MC off is comedy then Amy Schumer is a good comedian.
    Betacuck MCs - this is an absolutely shitty way to force a romcom. There are novels that do this trope nicely by giving the MC an actual reason to ignore the advances(ShieldBro thinking Raph is his daughter because she is a child etc.)
    Otome Game genre
    Heroine is the antagonist - this is an absolutely shitty way in order to create drama in an already shit romcom unless done properly

5. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably the food arcs..... We don't need a dozen chapters of the mc completing life threatening missions for some rice........

imK and Goblin Sleuth like this.
  6. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would honestly like to see a mc enter a world with slavery, not be a spineless loser saying well this world has slaves and it's not me the outsider's place to say its wrong, and for him to stop slavery. Hell make a novel with that theme. I'll read it.

Hate skill stealing skills. Its one of the worst powers that ruins novels. Stories where the mc has a clear style of combat are the best. And when you steal skills sooner rather than later the mc will have so many skills 99% won't be used, even in situations a past skill could have helped but mc/author forgets he has it.

Like novels with growth. Hate weak to strong where mc gets stronger than 99% of people in less than 50 chapters. Would rather read a novel where mc was OP from start of the novel, but he didn't appear in the world OP at all and the novel is about his adventures later on in life. Like Main Character Hides his Strength where he's the strongest human chapter 1, but took him over two decades to grow OP.

imK, Goblin Sleuth and Blankdom like this.
  7. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even the human cultures are more or less the same all over the continent. IRL you can tell the difference fairly easily even if just traveling an hour or two (and you can def hear it).

Blankdom and Olives like this.
  8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    The authors just want the MC to really die and get fling to the other world in a one-way trip. So basically JP's traffic accidents, death by diseases, death by murder, death by bla bla bla... the way they got yeet to the isekai somewhat also makes them more relevant I guess, dying with regrets (who doesn't) in their hearts and then suddenly a second chance in a completely new world.

I just hope that they are creative in throwing the people from their original world to the new one, can be death by deathclaw in the middle of the street, death by deathclaw when using the toilet or even death by a deathclaw's dismembered claw flung to you via nuclear detonation.

Also on the 1D antagonists, i get that some are there to get face-slapped, but at least the author give us some depth in the thought process of the selfish prick, not just shoving us from Arrogant Young Master to Arrogant Old Master to Arrogant Ancestor, jeezuz.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On top of that the human mind (and lets be real, writing an inhuman mind is a pain in the arse cuz it needs skill an imagination) is severely fucked up. Even IRL incidents like these very very rarely happen. So yeah, its not impossible, just exceedingly unlikely to happen twice.

imK likes this.
  10. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • There's always an adventurer guild:
      • They are always responsible for the issuing of IDs.
      • You can always avoid tax with their IDs.
      • Rankings always start with S above A - Because all iseaki guilds abide by the same screwed up alphabet logic.
      • S ranks exist, but they're never around - leaving the protagonist to clean up the OP jobs they should be doing.
      • The protagonist always has some kind of storage skill.

• Former World Food Superiority:
      • Apparently the locals are incapable of baking bread that isn't hard, yet that seems to be a normal and acceptable meal.
        • Surely a bread-based diet wouldn't come to be the standard unless the bread was actually good.
      • No-one ever seasons food with anything other than salt.
        • Yet Plant-based spices would be even easier to make than salt - especially in these bass-ackwards worlds.
      • The protagonist's greatest desire - rice - doesn't exist here, but the protagonist eventually finds it in some 'eastern' country...
        • Apparently every isekai has its Japan... (just like every isekai has a S-based ranking system.)
          • Yet the Japanese person never spawns there - they always end up in isekai Europe.

Despite them all being made from the same template, I still read them because fun things are fun.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    imK, Araenn, vlue and 5 others like this.
  11. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Too stingy, i wish i can vote up to 7 choice

Game Element - Seriously how can isekai have game element??? Did isekai god/goddess love to sneak to earth playing games? Ruin the story, example : MC train his body and become muscle brain and on whim put free point into intelligence stat and MC become instant wizard or when in grave danger, luckily MC have a lot free point to spend so put here and there so MC can overcome the grave danger situation with easy just like child play, no tension at all similar how Nobita always begging to Doraemon for tool that can instantly solve his problem

Naming - Boss monster or God/Goddess named as Fenrir, Chtulu, Tiamat, Valkyrie, Odin, Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. Basically the name you know from lore/myth/popular story in Earth and you wondering did bunch of them got isekai-ed too

Adventure's Ranking - In Isekai Adventure Guild you start as Rank F for beginner and later become the famous Rank A, eventually you transcendent into Legendary Rank S....... isekai use english alphabet not using isekai alphabet, even if it because "automatic isekai language translated" it doesn't feel right considering if the isekai world is "Knight & Magic" era, not modern world so there should be something like illiterate case, the poor can't afford for proper education or reading & writing is unnecessary for living yet they (the common citizen/natives) looks like properly educated and fully know alphabet (like SSS, SS, S, A, B, C, D, E, F)

Idiot isekai native & trash skill - MC got summoned and get trash skill, natives say it trash so MC is banished/abandoned/left to die but MC found the trash skill when used it right become OP Skill so MC in 1 night become instant OP. Seriously did the natives who get the same skill never try to use it? and quietly wait for death? all of them???

The Unnecessary PoV - Too many changing of POV and all of them always say/think "OH NO!!! We're in dire situation/danger" but suddenly MC come to rescue and the rest of POV tell "How awesome MC is" and repeat it with other character some chapter later (periodically)

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The one where all the harem women don't materialise in reality and form my own real life harem :blobsob:

Gitami likes this.
  13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Girls falling in love with the protagonist left and right no reason.

imK, vlue, kenar and 1 other person like this.
  14. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    This is mostly towards CN cultivation novels with a female protagonists.

If your not going to make it their thing then dont have them spend 80-90% of their novel as men. It would be one thing if it felt as though you put thought into their character, but for some reason I cant shake the feeling that it's just the authors wanting to opt out of making a strong female cultivator

imK likes this.
  15. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Or steve

My mistake

16. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    MCs who can jump into life and death combat situations easily without having had any previous (serious) training or even ever handling midieval weaponry.

Followed by not having any issues with killing humanoid and/or sentient creatures.

Then in turn, followed by not having any issues with participating in culling mass quantities of a species, ie subjugation requests, aka genocidical purges.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    imK likes this.
  17. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah that one gets me too, what really bugs me though is when the protagonist is repulsed by the idea of killing evil humans, when he previously had no problem killing sapient humanoid monsters. It seems like a complete lack of self awareness is a reoccuring theme in isekai.

imK likes this.
  18. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay go ahead.

imK and Harry like this.
  19. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    You know the first isekai that I read was Re:Monster, it was nice in the beginning he was just a weak goblin and he had to be really clever about using the few skills that he had. Then he just kept getting more and more, though I seem to recall that the story made an effort to have him regularly use them when at all possible. If I remember what saved it is he got a fusion ability so he could combined multiple of his weaker obsolete powers into a single useful power.

abewan, Miri-Bell and Dr_H_16 like this.
  20. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a hated thing but very prevalent. The female knight has blonde hair, the female witch/wizard has black hair, and at least the archer has some variety either light brown or green hair. This only points to the primary members or the first that they meet though
    edit: Almost forgot the cleric who has either blonde hair or brown hair

imK and Araenn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.