Discussion So, even though the empire is for all practical purposes dead, happy 107th!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Fox movie empire as we knew it/them ended on 3/20/2019 when Disney bought them out. On 1/17/2020, the announcement that Disney is taking "Fox" out of "20th Century Fox" added another death date of sorts. So, when was the empire as we knew it born? Feb. 1. 20th Century Fox was "born" on 5/31/1935 as a merger of 20th Century Films and the Fox Film Corp. The Fox Film Corp had a predecessor called Box Office Attractions which was the successor of Greater New York Film Rental Company.

P. 283 of the "Exhibitors Herald (Dec 1921-Mar 1922)" at Archive.org (bit.ly/36F21YW) has an ad for the then 9th anniversary week of the Fox movie empire (1/29/1922-2/4/1922). So, even though the empire is for all practical purposes dead, happy 107th!

For all practical purposes, the first Fox movie was the now-lost Shadows of the Moulin Rouge. This film's premiere, though a limited release, was on 12/26/1913. It was
    directed, written, and produced by Alice Guy-Blaché (7/11873-3/24/1968) through her movie company, Solax Studios. Alice is regarded as the first female director and thus the founding mom of cinema. Box Office Attractions distributed the film.

imK, Jiggy, Bitter Sweet and 4 others like this.
  2. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting :blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpeek:

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not something you see happening often... The Mouse devouring The Fox, that is. :blobpeek:

4. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with this analogy is you forgot to mention that this mouse we're talking is a gigantic, glutton mouse that devours anything profitable, to the point it becomes some sort of a meme in anime/manga industry in Japan.

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So the fucking mouse is trying to be a monopoly in the movie industry, I wonder if Walt Disney rolls in his grave in joy or pain?

6. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's not so wired that the mouse could devour The Fox when it has already devoured a C universe.
    Tho I am stil wondering what that Fox actualy say.

imK, Jiggy, raitei and 2 others like this.
  7. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    @DragonMage18: From hollywoodreporter.com/lists/a-look-at-83-years-20th-century-fox-1131133/item/eulogy-a-studio-1935-1131135:
    The book, which came out full-release (not counting the pre-sale release dates) shortly after Thanksgiving 2017, is the result of Vanda spending almost 11 years researching about William Fox. I am FB pals with her and I trust her judgement with Fox being disappointed at his empire being sold to Disney.

As far as Walt, I think he too would be rolling in his grave at his company has become. Honestly, I conclude Walt would despise the merger and want more competition.

Sure, I am no economist or business expert, even when it comes to movie company decisions. However, the following blog is how some of these giant media mergers could have gone done or decisions that could have been done instead of Company A buying out Company B: forum.novelupdates.com/blogs/my-take-on-the-then-pending-and-completed-media-mergers-or-buy-outs.2904.

8. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder what the merger will do for Disney animation productions. >_>

9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Someday in he future, I will be forced to say that Disney is an innocent firm

Jiggy likes this.
  10. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Thousands of lay-offs and the end of a storied film empire is more important than seeing the X-Men and F4 in the MCU. Too bad far too many extreme MCU fans fail to realize that.

Sure, Fox was financially struggling to a degree. Yes, they had ownership in some big franchises like Star Wars, Aliens, Die Hard, Terminator, and Ice Age. Yes, they did milk those franchises. However, at least they were not releasing those movies as frequently as Marvel was with the MCU.

The last movie to carry the 20th Century Fox logo is Underwater. The first one to carry "20th Century Pictures" logo is that upcoming Call of the Wild movie. Funny thing is that movie of the original 20th Century Pictures that was released by 20CP before 20th Century Fox was born was a 1935 version of the classic Jack London book.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Jiggy likes this.
  11. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    More like semi-monopoly or oligopoly. 40+% of the domestic movie market share is too big for one mega corp but Disney accomplished that.

Alita: Battle Angel is both the final movie for 20th Century Fox as we knew them before Disney bought most of the empire out on 3/20/2019, as well as the final movie for the Fox movie empire as we knew them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  12. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I agree. I also belive that the founders of the studios would have hated the merger. Afterall they mainly wanted to create not stagnate the industry (that's my understanding of them atleast). But still, would have been fun to see their reaction to the choises their studios have taken.
    Right now the mouse is trying to get a monopoly on the film industry so its not wired that they buy everything they can.

13. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Believe me, if I had the power, I would have voted that fool Rupert Murdoch out of being head of 21st Century Fox prior to the merger! That fool should have just transferred Fox News to the current News Corp company and kept the rest of the Fox-named companies with 21st Century Fox.

Credibility of Reddit and their users aside, here is a thread highlighting some of the 200-something then in-development Fox films were affected. This means those movies might be cancelled or delayed indefinitely: reddit.com/r/movies/comments/cnfixp. Sure, a lot of those highlights might be horrid (a live-action Play-Doh movie?).

Another negative of the merger: vulture.com/amp/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html. Some of the Fox classics that could find niche audiences in indie movie theatre chains are now halted from distribution.

I have no idea how many of those 200-something films would have seen the light of day had Fox just sold the Marvel rights back to Disney in exchange for Lucasfilm and had all Murdochs been voted out! Let this be a reminder that was merger should have not happened. If people now feel guilty for wanting to pass, I am glad.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    DragonMage18 likes this.
  14. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    The first real hit Fox movie, as well as the oldest-surviving is Gertie the Dinosaur, who I wrote a thread about here: forum.novelupdates.com/threads/happy-b-day-to-the-cartoon-dino-who-is-arguably-the-first-of-animated-characters-with-personality.97841.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    when I hear disney and fox merge or whatever correct term for it this cat think welcome monopoly on hollywood~
    there was time when I watched movie fans review movie and how it also mention how studio make final product become disaster~ with disney and fox merge hmmm nah hollywood still good for special effect that all sure drama genre may be considered but for anything else nope this cat put no expectation

16. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    If Rupert Murdoch really paid attention to the history of the Fox film (not sure how much he has), he should have encountered this fact: A July 1929 car accident, the 1929 Stock Market Crash, and antitrust suits against film producer William Fox's buy-out of MGM are what to Fox's media downfall. He would have had around 40% of the domestic movie market share, which is around the same amount that Disney now has from buying 20th Century Fox. Had Rupert known that, I do wonder if he would have been worried about the USDOJ saying "no" to the Disney-Fox merger.