Question How do you save your favourite novels, so you can re-read them again ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Braxx, Feb 2, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im usually the type of person to re-read, re-watch or re-play stuff.
    But when it comes to novels, chinese novels to be precise, are kind of a gamble. Since we dont know when the novels will be censored or taken down due to a dmca or something like that.

So how do you people deal with this ? How do you save your favourite novels for later ?
    Is there a place to download chapters or something ?
    The only way i can think of is just like copy and paste chapters in Word and save them. But this is very tedious since most chinese novels are 500+ chapters.
    And i want to save my favourite novels (Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian, Commanding wind and cloud and womanizing mage), so i can re-read them

2. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    make a reading list here on NU and name it "Re-read"?

BigBadBoi and TokioftheBel like this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I bookmark because I don't keep track of my NU reading list

Fallion and KizunaAi like this.
  4. Bugis-san

Bugis-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    search for the novel's epub but you must have an epub reader. I use it on my phone. Very convenient.

PDF format works too but not to my liking.

5. Potato Tomo

Potato Tomo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can download its epubs and place it on a cload or storage drive.

6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    google them with "epub" or "pdf" and you will find them somewhere.....

on the other hand i simple use NU, and if the original translator doesn't have them anymore i use wayback machine, pdf/epub if i don't find them i use the pirated version....

novaes likes this.
  7. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    i copy the chapter when it's release, than paste it into word...then keep it my hdd...after 100 chapter, i make it into pdf, i don't really know how to make it into epub...

8. Takeru Takaishi

Takeru Takaishi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Using firefox on PC, I use uBlock origin to remove unnecessary content using that cosmetic filter (I have umatrix blocking images and 3rd party content already), re-pagination to load all pages, and print to pdf. Depending on the websites, you have to sift through other novel's chapters, so aggregator sites is truly the best one for this as some blog is not structured using the content (instead, they use date of posting or something, which gives you this case of loading multiple novels). Some aggregator sites has this thing where they have weird filter for swear words, so you have to set something like foxreplace to do it.

I'm sure some people can do it better than mine though.

novaes likes this.
  9. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i don't usually re-read something, even being a favorite novel. However, i've read Warlock of the Magus World 3~4 times. I did to Reverend Insanity as well but i skipped the early part. Thats about novels, about animes i re-watch more frequently.

Oh, i got now. You ever can ripp off chapters with scripts and make documents to save. However, maybe you can talk with the translators to get the text. Wuxiaworld, for what i remember, is selling novels in e-book format. For now, I'm doing nothing, but you can save the chapter's page in the waybackmachine (https://archive.org/web/). I do this usually when sites goes down.

novaes likes this.
  10. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm....

If i dont remember to re read them... they might have not been that great in the first place.

Also.... I see lots of pirate sites right now. So if main site goes down i guess ill have no choice but to go there or ask around for an epub. If it is good, someone must have save them.

BigBadBoi and otaku31 like this.
  11. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I use the URL "webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:", after "cache:" you just type the url you want. It's not perfect but helps if a website is down for a little while. Sometimes it will show dead webpages, too. Otherwise it's wayback machine or crying into a pillow after giving up.

12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Find EPUBs and PDFs where i can track them down. I also found a basic program that can compile EPUBs using story index pages for certain websites.

Apart from that, do it the old fashioned way by saving the pages directly and then making PDFs through a word processor

13. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you actually read what he wrote?
    He’s asking for an easy method to download the novels so he can re-read them, even if they get taken down and are no longer available online.

rere_86 likes this.
  14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Always are as some translators don't even mention the censored or removed content in the chapter. Then in the next chapter or next arc, you would be wondering what the characters are referencing about. I hate it when translators or editors do that!
    I never recall any such happenings on CN, but KR and JP there have been.

15. SuchHappy

SuchHappy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like everyone else already said looking for PDF's and EPUB's is the way to go if the series is relatively popular. If not then you can always just use a data scraper and compile your own. Much better than manually Copy+Pasting

16. Andro

Andro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly bookmark them. So I know what I like the most. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.