Discussion Taboo Magic

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zone Q11, Feb 7, 2020.

1. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    lag magic, or is that time magic?

Instant infinite regeneration can be annoying too.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  3. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Soul Magic(eternal tornment), Blood Magic(blood to power, or using someone else), Sacrificial Magic(demon summoning, using someone mana for a spell), Alteration Magic(modifying bodies in grotesque ways), Healing Magic(torture).

Zone Q11 likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    The only taboo magic in Ai-chan's mind is the ability to control someone else's mind. It doesn't matter what you think, who you love or what you like doing because in front of a mind controller, his will is your wish. There is no pleasure or elegance in it, you are simply being controlled. Your life could be controlled, you loved ones could be controlled and your desires could be controlled.

Necromancy can be handle by just killing the caster and they only control the dead or cause death anyway, so once the caster is gone, things will go back to normal. But mind control is different, you don't know who you can thrust. You won't even be able to thrust yourself. There is also a good chance that the mind controller may even especially go after the people you thrust just to mess with you.

If there is one power in this world that should be eradicated as soon as it's found, it's mind control.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  5. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    The first one is technically useless in a world where reincarnation is not even a thing. (E.g. a world where souls are formed and destroyed on a daily basis, as a natural order.)

The latter is basically the same as sacrifice magic, but this type is more of a secondary optional ability than a main go-to ability. Good effort.
    Ooh~! Bloodbending from Avatar: The Last Airbender AND Baba Yaga's Flesh Combustion from Death Mage? Now that's unique alright.
    Uh... How would this one work? I feel as if possession magic like Kazuya Souma from Genjitsushugisha would be easier than this.
    Ah... Zombies then?
    Ah. This is... yes, a good answer.
    If this is legit, then it's basically a form of mind control as you'd only control the urges rather than the actual biological need to urinate and defecate. Though, this magic would be more suitable for a distraction than an offensive magic.

6. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just think of all the cliched villains.

Demon King - unnatural mastery of magic, usually forbidden or downright impossible to perform
    Overlord - Domination, like some sort of super Charisma, transformation, unbeatable strength

Lich King - necromancy, soul manipulation, decay

Otherworldly Horror - corruption, insanity building, usually involves summoning of a degree, needs a special way to kill or seal

Vampire - immortal, transformation, mind control, zombification, corruption, eats humans

Essentially, anything we have designated as evil, their powers are what make them horrifying.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  7. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Time Magic of course (Stopping time, rewinding time)
    Seers who can see the future.
    Diviners who spy on you and know your every move
    Anything that can absorb/steal/copy your abilities
    Self-Rezzers - Goddamn bastards.
    Healers who are immune to damage - Goddamn Bastards

Zone Q11 likes this.
  8. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well every kind of magic can be op like it is up to the author to make it believable.
    Like in one English novel they had elemental power only wind/earth/fire/water/nature/metal

The guys could shapeshift with the power of water, got mostly invisible in nature with the help of nature element same with wind but they needed to make an cloud, fire that could make lot or people into berserkers, earth that could arouse people to do s*x...

Zone Q11 likes this.
  9. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Delay magic, or "slow magic", which is basically an inferior form of time magic. It's a good answer.

Hyper regeneration is only useful when the antagonist is physically strong enough to escape from many forms of restrainmemts though.
    ...rather than eternal torment, I think that giving nightmares over a great area would suffice.

The concept of eternal torment is terrifying for an individual, but as a ruler of a nation, the sacrifice of one outweighs the well-being of many. As long as the antagonist is mortal, eternal torment is... a mediocre taboo magic.
    ...hm? Using mana for a spell? Isn't that... Wolgarm from Re:Zero? That curse that makes one too weak to live once activated? Humu... that's a good answer.
    Ah... Fleshmending. Yep. Good answer.
    Uh... no. Healing magic's purpose is to heal. It is the application of torture that is evil, but the nature of healing magic is kind in the end.
    Paranoia, huh? That is... Tate no Yuusha. Humu... well said. Still, that is not an excuse for other taboo magic to be nerfed.

Just as how risen undead perish after the necromancer dies, the effects of mind control perish after the mastermind dies.

Just as how one would have to fear whom to trust when it comes to mind control, one ought to fear the tireless undying army.

10. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I've actually seen this one used in a manga before and it was one of the the most op abilities in the story
    The character had a knife he used to cut himself and whatever a drop of his blood touched turned sentient. Water pipes would wrap around the opponent, walls would restrain and crush his enemies, the ground would swallow them alive.... And even if the enemy got close to him before he used his ability. hitting him still makes him bleed...... And sense any inaminate object comes under his control upon touching his blood its hard to one shot him..... This ability belonged to the mc btw and reading this I thought he was more like the villain

Similar to zombies I was thinking more of creating a blood snake and as it absorbs blood it grows into a creature like a blood dragon. As long as it has blood around it can't die and gets stronger instead. now just unleash a creature like that in the middle of an army. Zombies would have a similar effect in an army I guess.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  11. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Any magic can be used for evil or good purpose, the only difference is user. About soul magic, I did not mean it as usage for some demon lord trying to torment a nation, just for personal enemies and it's perfectly enough for that. There are also verses where healing magic mends wounds painfuly due to fast regen, can be just as torturous when used with kindness as with malice.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  12. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, there are some really nice OP cheats in the comments. One power I can think of, is actually bringing people back from the death - like they're completely fine, not brainwashed, no drawbacks. They're just back to life without the disease that killed them. Imagine how many powerful backers an antagonist can get just by bringing back the loved ones of influential figures. Even I wouldn't want to kill him cause I have a relative I want to bring back to life.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised nobody gave the good old classic of Darkness Magic.

Like, just plain and simply controlling darkness, it just kinda screams as evil magic.

An antagonistic vampire with darkness magic could try covering the world in eternal darkness, for example.
    Or maybe one could awaken the darkness within other people's hearts and make the worst aspect of them come out.
    Or just the good old power of making darkness blasts and stuff to kill people as if it was a standard laser beam. Simple and effective.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  14. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    However, such concepts are trivial, which is why I seek taboo magic.
    OH LORD, how did I forget corruption!? The ability to degrade one's morals, thereby turning it against its own kin! It is essentially mind control, except with more reason and persuasion! Brilliant!
    Eh. Depending on the span of the sight, it could either be mediocre or outright useless. "The future is uncertain" and "just because you can see your future, doesn't mean that you can change the fact that you'll get your ass kicked" or something like that.
    Clairvoyance... useful when it doesn't come to CQC. Not a bad answer.
    Only useful when there are other ability holders. Otherwise pretty useless.
    Same story as hyper regeneration; the antagonist requires sufficient power to not get restrained or sealed.
    Same response as Evil_Ginger's Demon King: I know that any magic can be treated as overpowered, but I am asking for magic which are inherently considered as taboo, befitting an antagonist.

Shapeshifting is useless without power shift. Invisibility is outright shit. Turning people into berserkers... a good answer.

Arousing people is not a good answer. It probably never will be. For example; yandere loves antagonist, and antagonist charm other people. Yandere either accepts others, kills others, or kills antagonist. It's so counterproductive in the long run, and too generic nowadays.

15. Vorderaster

Vorderaster Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fear Manifestation Magic. Basically make everybodys fear come true, whatever it may be.

16. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, the most evil magic to affect a mind would be memory manipulation... like making you forget you already went and completed your work today, or that it was a holiday, and you'd suffer through the work day again and again and again.

Then what comes to mind is the old Baldur's Gate (if I recall anything right here) spell Flay Living, which flays people.

I dunno, maybe a spell for false parenthood would be evil too... you know that asshole you met at a bar that time? Yeah, you're pregnant with his baby... until at delivery time you'll know it was all an elaborate spell to mess with you.

Works vice versa too.

Or a wind spell to make you hear the song you hate in your ears 24/7, or just some Best of Vuvuzela album, if they exist.

And so on...

Zone Q11 likes this.
  17. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Conditioned animation then? Hm... interesting, I suppose.
    Those creatures generally won't survive for too long before getting slain though... still, good answer.
    Not the point here. Assume that every antagonist are inherently evil. We are here to talk about taboo magic; not philosophy and morals.
    Humu... In that case, I suppose that eternal torture is a good answer.
    Ah! I see. In that case, I understand your point. You have explained well.
    Ah? Uh... oh! I see your point now. This is... similar to healing magic, however this one is more like "don't kill the goose laying the golden eggs" scenario. This is... enough to be considered taboo alright.
    Mmn... Generic, but a good answer nonetheless.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, that would be a form of mind control. A good one at that.
    Uh... It is taboo and evil, but... nevermind. It is a good answer.
    Nope. Not a chance will I recognize this as... "befitting of a bastard antagonist".
    Same answer as previous one. This one isn't even taboo...

Vilidious likes this.
  19. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Any magic is OP by simply being magic:blobpeek:

20. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Same answer: I don't care about the philosophy or the morals.
    I want to discuss about magic that should be considered taboo for its inherent traits.