[Poll] Pick a fantasy fighting style

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
?

Pick a primary fighting style

1. Melee - Barehand

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Melee - Dagger/Small Weapon

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Melee - Medium/Sharp Weapon

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Melee - Heavy/Blunt Weapon

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Melee - Long/Pole Weapon

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Melee - Chain Weapon

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Ranged - Throwing Weapon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ranged - Bow/Arrow Weapon

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Ranged - Small Gun Weapon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ranged - Medium Gun Weapon

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. Ranged - Artillery/Cannon Weapon

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  12. Ranged - Destructive Magic (e.g energy ball)

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  13. Ranged - Environmental Magic (e.g vines/plants)

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  14. Ranged - Summoning Magic

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  15. I'm unsure

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  16. I do not wish to respond

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    The magical girl craze continues :aww::aww::aww::aww::aww: If you don't care for magical girls, you can think about superheroes, magical boys, or general fantasy. Anyhow...

I'm curious about fighting styles!

Imagine a situation where you have been forced to become a magical girl (or boy), and your task is to fight endless legions of dark forces/monsters. These dark forces lurk in Shadow Realms and aren't visible to most humans, although they can influence/damage the real world. A Shadow Realm is like a mirror dimension that is parallel to Earth. Monsters can trap humans inside a Shadow Realm in order to prey on them.

Monsters have concrete physical forms, but they lack conventional anatomy. Most can walk around headless or with various other anatomic defects, so you should not assume where the vital points are. Many monsters have regenerative capabilities, thick armor, resistances against many things, etc. They also come in many different types and sizes, ranging from swarming to speed to brute strength. There is almost any kind of monster imaginable.

All monsters have a core. If you destroy the core, then the monster is destroyed.

If the strongest monster in a given Shadow Realm is defeated (e.g the "boss"), then the dimension is broken. Minions will flee and any trapped victims are released.

As a magical girl/boy, you have a finite amount of magical power. All of your actions (including your weapon) require magical power, although stronger actions consume more power. If you run out of magical power, then you die. You can replenish magical power by destroying monster cores.

As a general rule of thumb, you need to approximately clear 50% of the monsters in any given Shadow Realm at 50% efficiency in order maintain a net stable amount of power. 50% efficiency means that you do not waste magical power. If you fire 10 fireballs and miss 5 shots, this means that 50% of your magical energy was effectively wasted. Area-of-effect (AOE) attacks are generally less efficient than standard attacks.

You can approximate the amount of energy required for an attack by the volume/density of the attack. A high-volume attack consumes more energy. Packing a lot of energy into a small area (density) also consumes energy. Other advanced features (e.g. homing arrows) consume even more energy.

1.What kind of weapon would you use?

2. What would your fighting style be?

3. What abilities would you choose for yourself? What if you were told that better abilities consume more energy?

4. What kind of monsters would you be most worried about?

NamGi, imK and Woho0 like this.
  2. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dance, water, dance!

3. WearyRain

WearyRain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try your hand at a cyoa XD

4. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why, but I've always been a sucker for environmental magic. I like the idea of making vines grow and choke out my enemies before they even know I'm there. But, should I want to live my life in peace, it would be even more beneficial if I were to be a farmer. Hell, I could ignore everyone else and live in a jungle, nice and isolated, without having to worry about a thing.

5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone has been watching a lot of yugioh season 1

6. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    wait, that's a thing? :sweating_profusely:

7. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Nessle

Nessle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Close quater comat,either with weapons or bare handed are,by my opinion,the most interesting and exciting style,im not saying no to magic and such,but seeing a meele battle vs a magic one,where most of the time everything floads shakes and explodes, is more exciting

lychee likes this.
  9. false

false Today is always the best day ever~

Reading List:
    Link
    Explosion magic, no plan B.

10. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee does the situation(forced transformation) give you the weapon proficiency too?

You can't expect someone to be able to kill something if you just hand them a sword or an axe..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooo.... Do I always get to pick which fights I want to take? How common are masses of weak enemies vs few but strong ones? If I always get to pick the fights then I would go for a weapon most suited to the most common type of enemy. If not then I would go for a glaive with a long thin blade, piercing power for the big heavy armored ones while smaller weak ones can be mowed down in mass still.
    Blunt weaponry just seems like a no-go when you have to destroy something specific inside a heavily armored target, way more energy needed.

lychee and lohwengk like this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Can't I just beat the boss in a children's card game and seal off the Shadow Realm forever or something?

No? Okay then...

1) Environmental magic! And uhn... If I need a physical weapon too, probably a spear, it seems like a safe bet. Being able to stab things from afar and stuff while not being too unwieldy.

2) A support of sorts I guess? I think it would be tantamount to suicide to fight those monsters that I don't know abilities nor anatomy of alone, especially when I have 0 combat experience and would probably freeze on the spot when placed in a battle.
    ... So, finding people to work with me would be the most important part. After that, I'd trust them to do the killing part and stuff, because I seriously doubt I'd be able to myself. So instead, I'd try to manipulate the terrain or to lock opponents in place to make their kills easier.
    It is a bit worrisome that the monster cores would give us a limited amount of energy that we'd have to split up, but I believe we'd spend less energy overall by working as a group, so it would even out in the end.

3) Well, primarily I'd work with environmental magic, but I'd like to branch out a bit if possible.
    Healing is a must, for example. It doesn't matter if I have magical energy left if I'm dying from wounds, so it's important to be able to heal.
    As for the environmental part, I'd primarily focus on being able to mold the soil and to grow vines and the like I guess. Would allow for a better positioning and stuff, while also being able to constrain enemies...
    And regarding the energy consumption part... Uhn... Well, we can't survive if we don't kill stuff, and in order to kill stuff, we either need skill or good abilities... I don't have the former, so I'll have to rely on the latter, even if it's more risky in the long run.

4) I'm not sure I'd be able to answer this properly without being in the situation itself, but uhn...
    Fast and/or sneaky ones are the most dangerous, because they can kill you before you notice them.
    Magical ones would be next. Magic is too versatile and too unpredictable, so it's hard to handle those when you have 0 clue on what they're capable of doing.
    Strong ones come right after, like... If they can break free of my entanglement or break the rock we're hiding behind through sheer raw power, I can imagine many things going wrong with those.
    And after those, I guess the really hard to kill and/or quick to regenerate? The longer we take to kill, the more energy we waste after all. So it would be quite troublesome to face against mobs that won't die.

AMissingLinguist, leegood and GonZ555 like this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically speaking, no. But in practice, yes~

When 4kids licensed Yugioh, they felt it would be too kid-unfriendly to say someone was going to die or kill one another due to children's card games, so they instead said that they'd send someone to the Shadow Realm instead of killing them... Or at least that's how the dub goes.

In the original manga, people just die~

AMissingLinguist and leegood like this.
  14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Melee with chains, the rest of the answers can be pretty much summarized in this video :blobcat_hyper:

YuGiOh
    Kamen Rider Ryuki
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    And lots of other things, it is a mashup :blobsweat_2:

leegood and Ddraig like this.
  15. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee
    Now to actually answer the question,
    The most obvious answer will be of course railguns and electricity and iron sand swords *cough* or vector manip or magic cancelling hands or certain other abilities.
    To spice it up I will try to keep my character not op or broken af from start.
    • Evolution - Can change forms (completely or partially) to other beings you have befriended/ defeated. Useful not just for fighting but also for other stuff.

lychee likes this.
  16. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Melee chain weapon as i already know how to fight barehand and using chain weapons can help me fight in any range i want and it damn hurts when it even grazes you a little:blobpeek:

lychee likes this.
  17. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd go with destructive magic, if i could have a weapon too, i'd choose a pole/staff type.
    I prefer to attack them from a relatively safe distance while i find their core.

3) Since i'm attacking from a relatively safe place, i'd go for destructive magic that has more versatile functions like freezing, penetration, etc.

4) the type that teleports near you or has a longer attacking reach than me

lychee and leegood like this.
  18. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Summoning coz pokemon.

19. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course, eternal suffering in the shadow realm is better than dying!

It did improve the show ironically but I don't think it was a smart way to censor it.

20. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Scanning guns, to analyze them
    Extreme Biological weaknesses. They need to breathe, choke /drown them. They need to move, stop them
    My ideas would be using small amounts of energy in limited areas for maximum effect.
    Inanimated objects that solely run on a power source I have no way of accessing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.