CN novels that doesnt fit its genre's usual mold?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Deleted member 213850, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently reading Reverend Insanity and I'm happy to discover that for my first cultivation novel. It's beyond what I've usually heard about the genre. It doesn't have a harem or romantic interests, the MC isnt overpowered, and the fillers are bearable.

What other GOOD novels do you know that subverts expectations and goes beyond the usual genre trope? I'm open to other genres except for world hopping or anything too nsfw (smut is ok but nothing that's obviously nsfw-focused pls), I want to stay in one setting for this and a peace of mind to read it anywhere.

2. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation Chat Group
    This novel is wheat every cultivation novel should aspire to be. Though it has a lot of comedy (amazing comedy) that might not suit every cultivation novel. It’s based in the modern era and you don’t see any cliches or rims and repeat of the plot. Almost every character you meet has their own personality and aren’t just there to make the MC look good.

I Shall Seal the Heavens
    This is what a proper cultivation novel is. It starts from scratch workings it’s way up, no harem and the pacing is good. (This is a good intro to cultivation novels)

3. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World, MC is cold and calculating... and so is pretty much every important antagonist, no stupid young masters, no hot blooded idiots, the power ups are pretty logical

Forty Milleniums Of Cultivation, enemies are also intelligent and pretty much every faction has layered plans,

4. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Age of adapts
    This novel has a similar to some extent feel as Reverend Insanity, I am up to chapter 300ish in it but before you read I must worn you that it intentionally is ended abruptly by the author.

The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
    I read the first dozen chapters or so when it just came out and set it aside till there are more chapters to get back into it eventually. This novel is a cluster fuck of funny and other elements (read a few chapters and you will know if it’s for you or not fairly early on in the novel)

Amber Sword
    Good story, it’s based on a guy that wakes up in an mmorpg he use to play and uses some of that knowledge to help people around him. No harem (there are 2 or 3 potential girls, but only 1 is confirmed and it’s the slow romance type where the story is the main focus rather than romance or smut)

5. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But he doesn’t want jumping worlds. Otherwise it would have recommended Warlock of the Magus World. Though he dose always go back to his main world as it’s the highest rank a world gets.

Forty Milleniums Of Cultivation, i would have to agree it s an amazing and interesting way in which modern technology and cultivation combine together in harmony. The story flow is really good (or at least till where I read up to, and there was no harem).

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The author mentioned something like specifically haven written it this way because he himself was fed up with the typical way the genre goes.
    It went against the grain so much that censorship hammer hit him, lol. I guess that's what happens when you write about a character that's basically anti-communist in China. :blobpats:

7. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Fooljastic likes this.
  8. Escaping From Reality

Escaping From Reality Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Disciple Died Yet Again
    This is a parody of the chinese cultivation genre, and makes fun of a lot of the tropes found in cultivation novels. The MC is a modern person who gets sent into a cultivation world to correct all the "bugs" (in the form of cultivation cliches lol), while also dying a lot. I enjoyed it for it's rich humor and unique perspective.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  9. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The Legend of Sun Knight

"I am a knight. To be precise, I am the Church of the God of Light’s Sun Knight.

The Church of the God of Light worships and serves the God of Light, and theirs’ is one of the three largest religions on this continent.

As the whole continent knows, the Church of the God of Light has the Twelve Holy Knights, and each one has his own unique personality and features.

To be the Sun Knight is to have shining golden hair, sky blue eyes, a compassionate nature, and a brilliant smile.

“The benevolent God of Light will forgive your sins.”

I must have said that line at least a million times in my time as the Sun Knight.

However, the greatest wish in my life is to be able to stand before the entire continent and roar, “Damn your ‘the whole continent knows’! This Sun Knight just doesn’t feel like smiling! I just don’t want to forgive these human trashes! I just want to pepper my sentences with ‘f***’!”

Unfortunately, even to this day, I continue to wear a smile as I say, “The benevolent God of Light will forgive your sins.”

Fooljastic and Srennis like this.
  10. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    The World After the Fall - It's a really enjoyable ride. Although there are tropes, the author knew how to twist it into a interesting turn. If you like philosophy and magnificent world-building, you'll love it.
    Sadly, from what I heard, the gore and tragedy got him screwed when the outbreak of ban hammer arrived. Now that everything had begun to cool down, no one dared to lift the ban on the victim novels in fear of getting their ass smacked. However, the famous ( who has connections ) were trying to pressure the government to lift the ban. So, there might be a chance to see the series continued.

At worst, if the author is willing to continue it, he can start releasing the on-hold chapters in a year or two when China forgot about the incident.

disagreeable and elengee like this.
  11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    My logic, Mao got compared to winnie the poo, which is a bear. MC refines a bear in novel. *BAM*

Deleted member 89812 and GDLiZy like this.
  12. disagreeable

disagreeable Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally met someone who also read "The World After the Fall". Can you please explain the ending to me. What happen to the girl nightmare. Why the f did it had to end that way it ended.

13. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

The plot ( what I interpret from it ) goes that after the MC defeated Big Brother, he went to fulfil his wish, to destroy the Nightmare of the Beginning. The place turned out to be the alternate version of his beginning, but without anything Nightmare-related, meaning he had to live his life in the Tower as an ordinary person ( with, from the eyes of the outsiders, delusion about Tower of Nightmares ).

Things went and MC almost lost himself but finally managed to regain his confidence and broke apart the Nightmare of the Beginning.

On the FL side, she knew the MC went away and waited for him to return. However, after many, many years, only her, and few older generation of Nightmares, remained as everyone else passed away due to old age. The FL discovered that the Root of Nightmare ( or the First Tower, or the Nightmare of the Beginning ) is perhaps at the Depth, and she went out to find it.

To her surprise, she found the last living Root and decided to make it into MC's personal Tower of Nightmare, which, in the end, the MC came out while she was sleeping.

disagreeable likes this.
  14. disagreeable

disagreeable Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the reply. The ending is much better than I thought. So it was in fact a nightmare and he did not actually go back to the past. Also glad that Nightmare girl is only a sleep and not dead.