Recommendations Protagonist with a Secret Identity

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Wyntile, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Wyntile

Wyntile Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title states. Whenever it comes to K-Drama, series with these type of flair are my absolute favorite. City Hunter, Bridal Mask, Iljimae, Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People, The Healer... just to name a few. Where recently I’ve come across this novel...

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-strongest-dull-princes-secret-battle-for-the-throne/

... And now I’m looking to see if there are any other novels based with this premise, of a protagonist living a double life.

Specifications/Conditions:
    - Preferably set in a fantasy world
    - Absolutely no Yuri/Yaoi.
    - Novels with no oriental Chinese & Korean names, that has the 3 syllable system. Japanese names are fine however. I get massively confused on who is who with novels that have many 3 syllable names, so my overall enjoyment at reading this will be at an all time low. And will drop at the drop of a heartbeat if I do see a single 3 syllable name

Yeah, that’s about it.

And yes, I am reading “To Be a Power in the Shadows”, so that one’s out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. KHA2

KHA2 wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon Hunter, though might have some 3 syllable names because it takes place all over the world...

Araenn likes this.
  3. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Absolutely no Yuri/Yaoi. "

I was going to say the novel I favor the villainess but its mainly yuri. Maybe Overlord? Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite is good but they stoped translating it at chapter 75.

4. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
  5. randomhumor1610

randomhumor1610 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    I did have Akyuyaku in my PTR list for a while now, but did they stop translating? Then I'll continue to watch over it for the time being. Thanks though.

Opened up the first chapter, saw a 3 syllable Chinese name. So pass. Thanks though.

Read both, they are great!

Apart from this one, I can think of at the top of my head, I guess there isn't a whole lot. Well then.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  7. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, what a prejudice, well, let me tell you that it is only the beginning where you can read a Chinese name and the chapters following it don't have any Chinese name to it.

8. Wyntile

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I “did” mention it as a condition in my OP so I don’t know what this is about. I’m Korean Canadian myself, yet unless there’s visual reference helping me differentiate who is who like in K-Drama, I have experienced being very confused at who is who at times due to how similar some of the names were. Especially with the way Chinese refer to their family and close friends at times, with their suffixes/prefixes and all, even more so.

E.G. Park Hae Jin vs Park Jin Hae

Where some translators don’t even bother putting the two syllables together too. Simply put, I don’t have the patience right now to go through another bothersome experience like that. I want to enjoy reading the story, not have my overall reading experience be bothered.

Enryu022 and Wujigege like this.
  9. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    I take back what I said about you being prejudice.
    The novel only uses the Chinese Name at the beginning and after it, the main character uses his new name Klein Moretti, and all the side characters in the novel have English name since the settings of the story is set during the victorian era.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha. I understand, especially when stories keep honorifics that are useless to Western readers
    They forget that the readers dont understand Japanese that needing a Japanese dictionary to read a novel already translated to English is just plain ridiculous
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...and-why-does-he-have-a-gong-and-a-wang.58780/

11. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Radial

Radial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Akyuyaku Was still translated, but for legal reasons, they can’t list it on NU anymore. Check out the translator website for the rest.

VesperNyan likes this.
  13. randomhumor1610

randomhumor1610 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of Mysteries changes MC's name to Klein and is one of the best things I've ever read.

14. azyzbs

azyzbs Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel extra

15. hacknack

hacknack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bear with Lord of the Mysteries for a while all the names in this world are western oriented and his name will change to be Klein