Discussion What magic will you steal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zone Q11, Feb 9, 2020.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    But that wouldn't complete the request. The request was quasi-omnipotence. Which is to get as close to omnipotence as possible. Perfect memory without the knowledge isn't even close by a mile. It's like someone asking for a dog and you giving them algae saying hey that might evolve into a dog in billions of years.

Not to mention just because it isn't an ability doesn't mean it isn't required.

To give you an example, let us say someone wished to be able to cast all fire spells at max level. Now then, do you grant them fire magic skill? But if that is the case, what about mana manipulation? Is that a separate skill or a prerequisite to fire magic? Would they have the ability to cast all fire spells if they don't know the spells? Which means you have to provide the foundation to make the fire magic work.

It's like a batter only needs a bat for baseball but he still can't play it without a ball.

Effectively, without you providing the prerequisites, any wish we make would be pointless and flawed.

2. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    You're effectively trying to weasel in extra abilities in one fucking ability. The God can only grant ONE ability. Not several, not an ability made up of many abilities. And this ability is Stolen from someone in said world, so you're saying someone has Quasi-Omnipotence on the planet? WHAT? If there was someone like that I don't think that God would be sending you to said world cause the person would essentially strong enough, they would know and would wipe out everyone who was sent. Go back to the front page and read it cause it sounds like you haven't.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Quasi-Omnipotence is just that, quasi. Aka, its try to get as close to omnipotence as possible. That isn't the same thing as exact omnipotence. Thus they wouldn't know if god did this or that. Now since multiple abilities can't be given for quasi-omnipotence. The closest thing is perfect memory + gods knowledge. Knowledge is not an ability, but its a fundamental of all abilities.

If you actually bothered to read my counter argument, I argue that any ability without knowledge is pointless. Think about it, you stole that ability from someone right? That means that ability that was trained by someone is now yours. But did you get all the fundamentals that go into that ability? Which means god has to give you knowledge to fill in the gaps of that ability. Every ability is like a roof of the house, without a foundation, there is no roof.

If you argue that knowledge is not part of the deal, then any wish for an ability becomes pointless. If anything, your ability may even kill you. Try doing fire magic without mana manipulation and see what happens.

To give an example of an anime/manga, think Hero's Academy where MC got super strength ability, but his body was not able to take it and he shred his own body using it. That is foundation. If foundation is not given, then many abilities become suicidal.

4. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    "Sigh. Another philosopher," ...He/She said. Welp. Great. Now I get to do more work...

Short story: Quasi-omnipotence is not available nor is it viable.
    Long story:
    In your example, you mentioned "Fire Magic, Maximum Level", but that would be translated to "Pyrokinesis" or "Fire Magic Aptitude". You don't actually gain the immediate knowledge to conjure a nuclear bomb; you just have to find that out yourself. Would this mean that your "request" was not completed? Yeah it wouldn't. So what? You already died anyways, so it's either taking something similar and/or inferior of what you want, or simply go to whatever afterlife you were originally destined to have.
    In some cases, this is true. However, it is not true for you.
    Not because you are wrong, but simply because we cannot provide what you want.
    Using your own logic; Your given ability is stolen. For this to happen, we'd have to have someone with quasi-omnipotence to steal from. The problem is: we don't have that someone.

AMissingLinguist and Arbelbyss like this.
  5. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Cat Boss〗〖Feeling the Effects of Aging〗

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm not memory, more like intelligence
    being able to remember quickly doesn't necessarily mean you're smart :cookie:
    (but it does help)

6. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    ...you're confusing me. Intelligence is knowledge. Wisdom is the application of knowledge. You can't just say "I wannabe smart ", since it's as obscure as saying "I want power".

7. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Cat Boss〗〖Feeling the Effects of Aging〗

Reading List:
    Link
    uh... intelligence is not knowledge. Knowledge is just the information you acquire, whereas intelligence is more like your ability to acquire information and use it.

Let's just say I'd like increased working mental capacity :cookie:

Zone Q11 likes this.
  8. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah. Hm... mental working capacity...
    Very well. Granted.

AMissingLinguist and Lemonfairy like this.
  9. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    Ultimate luck(plot armor)
    Everybody knows that it's luck(plot armor) what makes a protagonist.

10. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow, I missed this. My answer is: No, there shall be no new RP.
    If you had checked my previous thread about Taboo Magic, then you would've seen that I took interest in how Sol was disgusted by the Ability Steal ability, so I made a thread about it.
    As for why I made so many rules; it is to prevent trollers to mindlessly spout and spam nonsense, while also keeping things in an orderly fashion.
    Not available.
    Also; watch RWBY Vol. 7 Ch. 12.
    Luck is not everything.

11. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you'd also have to be able to seize opportunities created by your luck.

But if it's not available I'd take a skill to steal more skills from other people.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  12. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's not available. ...what a funny economy we have; to have the Ability Steal skill, but not something as simple as Enhanced Luck.
    Anyhow; Granted.

13. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not disgusted. Just a dick move.

14. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Close enough, I suppose.

15. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the ability to learn any skill you see would be probably better, but stealing other people's abilities and then seeing the despair in their eyes beats learning ability hands down.

16. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot armor is not just luck, Plot armor is reality rules bent for the benefit of the protagonist.

17. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    If you define "plot armor" as fate control, then I am sorry to inform you that the ability is not available.

18. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Talking about general, is actually a term coined by readers to explain the unnatural way protagonists overcame obstacles. Is kind of that is that though, reality rules bent to benefit the protagonist without its consent. Nakama power, fate control, OP luck, sealed entity in the right arm, ancestral blood, whatever works for the author in its setting I guess.

19. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    ...? EviL initially wished for luck. Why are we debating about plot armor, the concept that is not even recognized by us an ability?

20. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Not playing your game right now, got irked by your comment on plot armor:)
    Plot armor is not just luck. That's all.