Recommendations The true hidden gems

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Aballia, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Aballia

Aballia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A beautiful girl falls for beautiful guy, or the other way around, both so devastingly beautiful they defy the heavens! One is bold, fearless, and will get back at those who hurt her by tenfold! The other is a cold heartless quiet handsome prince who would abandon everything for the one he loves.....sounding familiar?

Because it is a typical cliche romance. Pretty interesting the first time...not so much the 100th time. Or maybe not a romance, but a reincarnation? Losers become top players? Some harem here and there? Love at first sight? Uhhhhhh

A true hidden gem is one that entertains but educates, a novel that answer the plot holes. A story without a happy ending because that is what life really is. A story where side characters are not to elevate the main characters. A story so realistic or different that it offers a fresh taste of spiciness, sweetness, or bitterness to the story that reminds you why reading is so beautiful!

"Life is filled with challenges and hurdles, and your tolerance will decide your ability to withstand pressure."
    Quote in "Release that man". Story is modern and original and not every handsome guy that comes her way will end up falling in love with her. Teaches some very very good ideas on life. A little weird at first, but later you realize the storyline will leave you guessing all the way!

"If you steal, then have the resolve to be stolen from. If you kill, then have the resolve to be killed, if you deceive, then have the resolve to be deceived."
    Quote from "Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage" One of the best rebirth vengeance stories. She remembers her pain in the past and does not easily fall in love due to past betrayal even after getting married. She never forgot her children of the past. Her rebirth is explained. She is cunning, strong, and did not need a man to support or clean up her own mess.

"Your actions and morals are not either right or wrong. They are either worth it or not worth it."
    Quote from "Crossing to the Future, it's Not Easy to Be a Man". Author literally created a whole world from the finest details of a traffic system in this world to the big mecha fights. A female mc who hides identity for a GOOD reason, and the life and death struggles she got to become strong. Even so, she still admit that she is very fortunate that she had the assets instead of gloating about her own abilities. Her companions are those who got your backs, those who would literally die for you, those who are closer than family, but with a bond that are much more pure than that of a romantic relationship. You realize the cruelty of war. The excitement. The secrets. The action. The cunningness. It's all in one novel. May start off with a lot of info and a weird child AI, but it gets soooooo much better after you read all bulk of info about this new world in the first few chapters. Just appreciate the fact the author took TIME and EFFORT to create such details in a world.

Sorry for the long rant, but these are examples of novels I am looking for, there are so many other novels like My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending or Dominion's End, but not enough space to explain them all. I want something original, something refreshing and offering a new perspective. I included rants so you can check them out too! This is meant for everyone out there looking for something DIFFERENT. So have you ever found a novel that held your thoughts for days and weeks? That you stayed up all night to find what is next? One that after months you still can't forget it? Please share!

Snowbun, Ruyi and The loner like this.
  2. ky_s

ky_s Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This post is like a walking ad for sherrilyn kenyon. If you haven't read, you may probably enjoy her dark Hunter series. Insane amount of quotes from insane amount of books...She is also in..well, you get it.

Anyway, obviously this post is for web novels...I truly have no clue what is a gem, let alone figuring out a web novel gem. I am a popcorn reader. My best recs would be Overlord and Face of Devil.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, Natsume Soseki's (夏目 漱石) "I'm a cat" (吾輩は猫である) and "Light and Darkness" (明暗) is a true hidden gem. If you don't know Japanese then you probably don't know about this.

Then there's "Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas" (Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas) it's well known in Brazil but not enough, and most people outside of Brazil don't even know this book

I really like Lord of Mysteries, it's just so good

That's the thing about actual hidden gems, they are supposed to be rare and hard to find.

4. The loner

The loner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't explain much, but Gekkou was one which left me on thought for more than a week after finishing it.. although it's a bit unrealistic, the characters are quite unique and the plot is unpredictable..
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/gekkou/

A 'hidden gem' stopped being hidden when it's shared with others, so I'm in a bit dilemma with your request about it.. :blobsweat_2:

5. Selfish_Lover

Selfish_Lover Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not fluent English speaker, so sorry if there is mistakes.

Trash of the Count’s Family First, there is no harem. Second, I like that MC is clever and not OP. I read about 200 chapters year ago. Maybe plot was changed, idk. I am just waiting this novel's finish, then i'll restart reading.
    How to Live as the Enemy Prince it is sad, that there are only few chapters. So i can't say anything, but I expect it would be good novel.
    The Novel’s Extra I like that MC is average and not OP at the beginning. That was really interesting novel, and i had a great time while reading it. BUT, but there is a girl, who is f**kin annoying. Urgggh. I didn't finish it cuz of her. I read about 100 chapters. Also i like world of this novel.

So, some romances that i like. Not sure, that you will find something fresh.
    - Chaos Of Beauty.
    - The Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir
    - A Mistaken Marriage Match: Mysteries in the Imperial Harem
    It is funny that the most of readers hate the MLs of those novels, when i LOVE them. MLs are not ideal, they are cold-hearted, realistic, didn't fall in love with MC at first sight. And the MCs are calm and likeable, not OP, they didn't want revenge or something. (I guess readers hate MLs because of their other love affairs. Personally i am ok with that)

And there is a manhua Chongsheng Zhi Muzhen / Phoenix Nirvana, personally i like it.

6. pupsgli

pupsgli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. NikuMeat

NikuMeat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I've worked in a bookstore and "I'm a cat" is fairly popular.

9. DalangTala

DalangTala Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Princess Medical Doctor - Don't get scared of the negative reviews. If you really like realism, give this a try.
    Flash Marriage - The title might be cliche but it was executed well. It's short but the development in relationships are realistic.
    My Daughter is the Family Head - This one is super short and the developments are quite fast, however it is very refreshing for me. The ending was not an ending. It's just a point where the story ends. In any case, this might just be what you're looking for.

10. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Sun Knight sure was refreshing. I mean he is basically everything a Sun Knight shouldn't be. Probably doesn't fit exactly but hell is it a hidden gem for me =P

12. Aballia

Aballia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks to all who replied! Hidden gems are suppose to be hard to find but that is what makes them so special. Even if some parts are lacking, the fact that it can stay on your mind for weeks and months means that there is something about it that stands out above the rest, so don't hesitate when you have something to share!

Antihero_Lover likes this.
  13. Antihero_Lover

Antihero_Lover Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i made a thread while ago about one unpolished gem novel, Emperor of Kings

https://www.webnovel.com/book/16129893106084105/Emperor-of-Kings

for me its everything you asked for,
    1.OP mc but he loses the fight with someone stronger than him,the author didnt pull any bs reasons or items to make mc win

2.Kingdom building:- until now the mc is moving towards his goals realistically not found some engineer and people without any effort to build and occupy his lands

3.Side character:- characters in this novel feel real they all have their own personalities you know when you read

4.No harem:- the author himself said he won't make mc collects beauties like trophies and he also said there won't be any harem ever

5.Story:- its not a typical reincarnation as a prince or someone important,the mc has some mysterious past author giving some clues in every chapter but didn't reveal it fully so it has some mystery thriller to it,and the story is pretty good and interesting

6.World building :- this is one of the strength of this novel because you can see what the author means you know,he will tell you every single bit of the important detail the sceneries,the character,the locations you can visualize for me its a refreshing journey compared to some cn jp novels,even the fight scenes which are awesome you will feel like its happening before you so much details.

7.Mc himself :- mc's character is a plus for me since i like quiet calm cold protagonists like rai in noblesse,everything he do has some logic behind it and unlike many arrogant young masters he actually admits his mistakes and listen to others when they say something valuable.although he looks calm and quiet also ruthless im pretty sure there's a reason behind this

Now the downfall of this novel
    1.Some grammar mistakes;- i think the author himself writing and editting his work because there are some grammar mistakes in the novel but its ignorable due to the story and detailing

2.the novel till now has only 25+ chapters for me its a minus but if you have patient go for it

sorry for my long mumbling but i thought this novel could use more readers and attension

14. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Sugarsprinkless

Sugarsprinkless Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Insanenebula

Insanenebula Member

Reading List:
    Link