Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Daoist Pharmacist, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Daoist Pharmacist

Daoist Pharmacist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im looking to buy a gaming laptop that runs dota 2, csgo and potentially other games like gta 5 and other similar games out there. I want it to run smoothly with, like 120 fps for dota 2 and higher for csgo (like 200 fps tops), has a upgrade potential so i can play gta 5 and other higher spec requirement builds. Im thinking of buying the acer nitro 5 2019 model with the intel build. Or is there any other alternative out there with the same price range? Thx!

PS: I dont know much about the chips outhere with all thos numbers like mx150 pr 250 or what not. I just compare it to sumthing

2. Daoist Pharmacist

Daoist Pharmacist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also its for college use. So icant build a desktop and bring it to school

3. negritis

negritis The Mathematician

Reading List:
    Link
    Asus stryx
    Acer nitro

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty sure that laptops around the 400-500$ range with an extra 8 GB RAM stick can do the job, but if you feel like a CN young master and want to spend a bit of money check out this:

i7, 16 GB RAM plus 480 SSD. Windows 10 included. 750$.

The Acer Nitro 5 while having 1 TB of storage, its a HDD. SSDs are way quicker and neat.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    ...just see if any old model still available such as dell's alienware, acer's predator, asus'es rog, or just buy panasonic toughbook for military use.....

7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    im gonna buy hp omen probably. though i already have an msi laptop

8. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Cheap laptop for school, built pc at home?

9. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A laptop's CPU/GPU cannot generally be upgraded. You can often add more memory or a larger hard drive/SSD, but neither will help you run games faster, just help with multitasking and load times.

The Acer Nitro 5 laptops (last I checked) had one of the best prices for a given performance. Part of that is the thick plastic casing that keeps costs down, so don't expect premium build quality or light weight. But the specs are probably among the best you'll get at that price. Get a nice padded backpack to lug it around and you'll be fine.

For the stated game performance you mentioned you'd probably want a GTX 1060 or better GPU, and at least a 4 core/8 thread H-series Intel CPU. The U-series CPUs are optimized for battery life so they have lower clock speeds, which will hinder your gaming performance. Since you cannot upgrade those two components, I'd make sure they were good enough to last me a few years at least.

10. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    Acer predator is the best price laptop dude i bought gtx 1060 6GB i7 8750H 144hz laptop for 999 dollar. Plus he should not buy laptop if he wants to play laptop is super bad because its cooling problems

Yamcha likes this.
  11. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Predator series is a step up above the Nitro in terms of specs and build quality, you'll pay slightly more for similar specs but you'll be able to get better (and more expensive) parts.

@Daoist Pharmacist
    For a quick-and-dirty comparison of CPU and GPU speeds in laptops, I use Notebookcheck's performance rankings
    CPU chart
    GPU chart
    Once you find a prospective laptop, search for the CPU and GPU on the respective charts. If it's in the top 100 of both, it's probably good enough to play old games at high settings, and modern games on medium.

12. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's be real, if you want a real gaming PC that is also portable then you need to spend at least $1K. Maybe you could build a cheaper one with the same specs but you need to have the knowledge or know someone that do it for you. About the upgrade part, not sure you can have that with a laptop and still keep the warranty.

An option would be have a desktop PC for gaming and a good tablet for classroom and have both synchronized.

Also, in the price range for PC you mentioned I would go cautious with games if is for school/work use too. You can't have it breaking on you when you have a presentation or exam soon. Best luck in your purchase.

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I would wait for new Ryzen 4000 CPUs to come out. Intel right now is overpricing old CPUs due to shortages so even buying old models aren't worth it.

If you really must and have a credit card that extends warranty and live in US, maybe EVOO (brand owned by walmart). On a deal you can get a 1660ti for less than 800. But again, I would wait for Ryzen, it should be sometime this month.

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You never really mention your exact price range. The Acer Nitro 5 comes in different variations that vary from $650-$950. What is the maximum you want to spend? I need to know what you're willing to spend before I can recommend any laptops.

Most laptops have screens that can display a maximum of 60 frames per second. As long as the minimum framerate for the game you're playing is above 60 fps, there's not much benefit in having a higher framerate. If you get a laptop with a display panel that offers a higher refresh rate, you should adjust your hardware to try to match that framerate.

DOTA2 and CSGO are made to run well on crappy hardware. You can get above 60 fps on lowish settings with a potato. GTA5 is a different matter. It's not the most optimized game. If you run it at higher settings, you still need a decent GPU and CPU to properly run the game above 60 fps.

You mention you're in school, but you never specified your major. If you're in engineering, graphic design, or some other program that requires some extra computing horsepower, you might benefit from a laptop that exceeds your requirements to play the 3 games you mentioned in your OP.

Ryzen mobile CPUs and APUs have been consistently lagging behind Intel's mobile chips despite AMD's resurgence in the desktop side of things. The new Ryzen chips that are slated to come out over the next few months haven't been fully benchmarked, so it's hard to say where they'll land in relation to Intel's chips. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful that AMD can breathe new life into the laptop side of their business as they did for desktops and servers, but it's too early to fanboy about them.

15. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    These days, 144hz is pretty common for gaming laptops. Even at those price ranges you can find 144hz.

That was the case before, not now. It also doesn't help intel has been kind of stuck lately with low yields. Thus the divide between comet lake and ice lake. Even older laptops with 8 gen series cpus are still quite common. The 7nm process has given Ryzen a pretty big improvement.

First laptops with new Ryzen will come in February, or just around the corner. The leaks of benchmarks which we have seen are overwhelmingly positive, easily surpassing intel's counterparts. Best of all AMD laptops tend to cost 100-300$ less for similar specs.

16. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Benchmark leaks aren't full, independent tests. I'll hold my optimism until the silicon is in the hands of experienced benchmarkers and properly tested. That said, I hope they are competitive with Intel.

The laptop the OP mentioned does not have any SKU that has a high refresh rate panel. If the OP's price range is really $650-950, there aren't going to be that many laptops that have a 144 Hz display, not to mention the hardware it would take to drive the display at 144 Hz in modern games at what I'd consider acceptable settings.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  17. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    The leaks are based on independent reviews. They already have these computers in reviewers hands. Just AMD set an embargo that they are not allowed to publicly release their reviews until the embargo is lifted.

For example, here is a full review leak of the 4500u (yes thats the lower end but the numbers are still pretty darn good, its competitor is the 1035g1, but those numbers are close to the 1067G7, the top end ice lake part)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Massi...benched-in-AC-Odyssey-and-GTA-V.453047.0.html

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We're getting off-topic, so this'll be my last post about this. Benchmark leaks aren't full, independent tests. A single leak isn't verifiable. I hope those results are indicative of the whole product stack, but I can't recommend anything until multiple reviews of it exist for verification. Doing otherwise is jumping the gun.

19. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    144hz is now pretty common in gaming laptops. Here is one for $780

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laptop-F...O-Gen-Spatial-256GB-Audio-Gaming-15/545386564

i've seen the 1660ti version go for $750 as well.

Tongfang has been dishing out laptops under many brands with 144hz.

You can get some with 120hz too like ASUS TUF for within $700.

Cause the new benchmark for top end laptops is 240hz.

They are full independent tests. This isn't someone just picking up a score on a benchmark site. This is an independent review that was released prior to the embargo date being lifted by a credible outlet.

Since you can't buy a laptop yet, there is nothing to jump the gun on. Either way, its safe to agree that buying a laptop now with new Ryzen laptops coming out this month makes little sense. Unless someone is desperate, its better to wait a week or 2 and judge for themselves.

20. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clevo, best pc in the world. No1 laptop maker. 2000usd for rtx 2070 + 9900kf, desktop cpu. 144hz reflash rate monitor. 32gb ram 2666mhz, 516gb nvme ssd.

The price can be even lower if you only buy laptop in barebone, and assembled it yourself. There is no annoying brands logo. Yes the laptop is brand less, you can customize your laptop better or just lazer your own logo on it.
    Screenshot_20200214_133540_com.taobao.taobao.jpg Screenshot_20200214_133650_com.taobao.taobao.jpg

Edit: it's a z370 chipset with mxm3 Gpu slots.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020