Should there be boundaries to humor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Feb 15, 2020.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    hu·mor
    /ˈ(h)yo͞omər/
    noun
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
    "his tales are full of humor"
    synonyms: comical aspect, comic side, funny side, comedy, funniness, hilarity, jocularity;​
    Should there? And if so, what are the topics we shouldn't involve with humor?

baka8roukanako and imK like this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, your last lolicon topic stirred up a shitstorm that hasn't even subsided yet, don't put up even more shitstorming topics.

And in a way, that is my answer.

3. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Anyone should be able to joke about anything, but the person themselves should know the appropriate time to do it.

It's not the words that hurt but the speaker. ( By extension, the speaker's intention. )

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i think there are a very, very, very small group of things which should never be joked about (the holocaust is the prime one) but anything else should be fair game.

unfortunately, all the snowflakes, offense merchants, wankers and edgelords out these days get offended over anything and everything so true comedy, as it used to be, is an endangered species.

otaku31, imK, Ai chan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    there souldn't be any boundary, because when you arrive at that point it isn't humor anymore ....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the thing: you're free to joke about anything you want. Holocaust and other incredibly tasteless joking topics included.

Just don't come bitching when your jokes hurt someone and they complains about your rudeness to your face. You're free to joke about things. Other people are also free to tell you if they think you're an asshole. Don't demand your freedom to say what you want, but deny other people the freedom to say what they want. You can say what you want about offended snowflakes, censoring others is still not cool, not if you demand the right not to feel censored.

mir, fuqifeipian4, asriu and 9 others like this.
  7. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    there should be a limit,
    for people who stretch the meaning too much, even a prank can be called a humor.

but they should know when or where and to whom they should do it.

mir, Loni4ever, Fallion and 2 others like this.
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm offended that you dare take away my right to joke about my own heritage. Haven't my people suffered enough oppression?!?!
    [​IMG]

otaku31, blues86, imK and 3 others like this.
  9. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    There should be a limit,
    The limit is where you put it.
    The parties communicating should have a consensus on the limit of humor.

If one side is the only one enjoying it, it may be humor according to them but not according to the other party.

It's stopped being funny if only a select people are enjoying the jokes and having fun.

Imho

Tofu Cat, mir and imK like this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Deja vu! I've just been in this place before intensifies*

Seriously, I feel I've read this thread somewhere before.

mir likes this.
  11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably from a previous thread of mine. A person and I discussed about it in this thread: Though provoking and open discussions.

mir likes this.
  12. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not much of a discussion if there's only one right answer: free speech should be respected.

13. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    No limit

Don't like the jokes I tell? Don't associate with me... If that isn't good enough feel free to tell everyone who knows me that I'm a horrible person.

This thread makes me want to tell horribly offensive and insensitive jokes lol

14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, there should be a limit.

If it's not funny, the person who made the joke should be burned. There is no forgiveness for boring or cold jokes.

15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. There are some really sick assholes out there and if their idea of "humour" is shoving someone's head into a pail of water and watching them choke, then no, that "joke" is way out of line. Don't forget, there are sadists out there that think torturing others is funny. So no, there are limits to humour, especially the sick kind. That is why bullying is so prevalent, because the people inflicting the pain find it "fun".

Sawanara murasaki and mir like this.
  16. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    In theory, I think everything can be joked about. It's the specifics (like people present, tone of voice, choice of words, etc.) that determine whether a joke is ok to make or not.

I'm all ears :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

they were talking about free speech though, not free action XD aka you're free to joke about "shoving someone's head into a pail of water and watching them choke" but you can't actually do it. I don't think this thread is about humour in physical action but more about humour in speech, where it can't physically harm someone

baka8roukanako and imK like this.
  17. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, nothing is forbidden. Everything can be joked about. It's why dark humor exists. But I understand, some jokes may not be appropriate at certain times.

Just remember that dark humor is sort of like humans, not everyone likes them.

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it depends primarily on the time, place and the people involved.

Like... If you make a joke about the holocaust with your friends within your house while you're all dead drunk... Who cares? I certainly don't.
    If you make this same joke when visiting a jewish couple that lost their parents, siblings and friends to concentration camps... You messed up really badly.

Or like... If a bunch of black friends make racist jokes towards one another that mock black people... Who cares?
    If a white comedian makes a racist joke mocking black people... Well, he better be prepared for a lawsuit.

If a woman that was victim of rape starts joking about rape... Sure, go ahead, you do you.
    If a comedian goes and makes a joke about how ugly raped women should be thankful for the rapist because that's the only way they'd ever get sex... Then he shouldn't be too surprised when he starts getting hated.

It's all about context, time and place matter, just as much as who is saying what and to whom.

imK and Llamadragon like this.
  19. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except everything you said is a strawman coming from the fact that you have no understanding of how human rights works.

Free speech is to be protected isn't about humour, it's about human rights. It's a different level/scope entirely.

You'd have to be completely retarded to think "well golly gee, this person said I have the right to whatever form of humour I want, so clearly if I find violating the rights of others hilarious, I've just been given a free pass!"

Speech is protected. This is an absolute right. Freedom from abuse and harassment of others. This is also an absolute right. Therefore, 1 + 1 = 2. So humour, when you have 2, is fine in any form. But humour, when you have 1, is not okay.

Logic is hard, I know. But please follow along.

mir and imK like this.
  20. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, boss, I saw X making eyes at your girlfriend! lol!

I did the Dale Carnagie course once, a long time ago. One of the creeds they had was "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can kill."

Remember this. Words are even more dangerous than a gun. A gun can only kill someone you can see. Words can kill someone that isn't even in your line of sight.