Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Daoist Pharmacist, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, last post on this topic. A 120 Hz display costs more money than a 60 Hz display. When you're in the low-end of cost for gaming laptops, you're going to have to sacrifice something significant to balance the increased cost of the panel. As you go lower in price, that sacrifice will be more pronounced. The OP didn't give us a price ceiling on his laptop. I was just mentioning the price range of the Acer Nitro 5 series. If he's looking at the $650 version, there's nothing out there that'd be worth buying with a 120 Hz panel.

The 1650 isn't able to output more than 60-70 fps average at 1080p in most modern games at medium settings.

The 1660ti is getting into the territory of being able to drive modern games at above 60fps. Still not sure I'd want to sacrifice storage, memory, and/or CPU for a 120 or 144 Hz panel. though.

xiazixin likes this.
  2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It come with thunderbolts 3 and rgb keyboards. And usb 3.1 gen2

Attached Files:

3. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor 2nd hand clevo, too poor like 200usd? Buy a broken clevo and fix it your self. Rich, buys new clevo and puts exotic parts in it.

Clevo is life.
    Clevo is the best.

4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Daoist Pharmacist

Daoist Pharmacist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    700$ tops. Srry i was a lil busy.

6. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Clevo. New but lower end models.

• like the nb70ta , gtx 1650 with h370 chipsets.
    • Or nb70th, gtx 1050 with h370 chipsets.

If you choose gtx 1050, you can probably get a 9400, (note this module can't use F series cpu.)
    If you chose gtx 1650, you will have to make do with 9100, or spent extra 50usd. To get 9400.

This 700 is a urgly range for clevo, since a bit more your open to more solutions and a bit lesser you will get an second hand sets instead. But I think it's good.

Other clevos in this price range are p950ep6 1060 with 8300h. Which is an slim build with little customization ability. But it's still clevo quility. You get an empty laptop with 650 and spent $30 on an 8gb ram and a $20 128gb ssd. Since this module come with solider on Gpu and CPU. But it looks good.

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    There are also W650kj1 and W650kk1. They are classic build and models.
    W650kj1 is 1050
    W650kk1 is 1050ti.
    They are so cheap that W650kj1 you can get 16gb ram, 9400 cpu, 516gb of ssd. And you would still have money for ice-cream.
    W650kk1 is know as cheapst 1050ti in the market. It was one of the best selling laptops. But sadly 3xusb3 and 1xusb2. Vga, htmi ports. There isn't 3.1 or 3.1gen2.
    But it have 3 m.2 ssd slots. And 1 2.5 sata slots.

Edit: If you get nb60ta you can probably get 1650 9400 without adding any $$$ unlike nb70ta. But with clevo, you choice is limitless. You can choose better design, you can choose better chips, you can choose better parts insides. And you can even choose the brand you want to buy it from.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    $700 is on the low end for gaming laptops. Very few laptops allow you to upgrade the CPU and GPU. At best, you'll be able to upgrade your storage and memory. At $700, it's unlikely you'll be able to run newer games at over 60fps. Older games like CSGO and DOTA2 should run fine.

You might be able to stretch your money a bit by waiting for back-to-school sales. Look at as many online and offline retailers as you can. You should be able to find some great deals.

xiazixin likes this.
  10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like nobody said this, so Ai-chan will say it. Specs aren't everything, there's also heat management. When you've found the laptop you're interested in, ask people who do own that model how well it handle heat. While games such as DotA2 and CSGO have fairly low heat buildup, all games built using Unity engine causes your GPU to overheat more than it should.

If the laptop can't handle heat well, the internal components may be damaged pretty quickly which is one of the reasons why people who want to play games buy desktops. It's not the game developers' fault. The game engine itself causes the overheating. Sure you can invest in heating pads, but good heating pads can be expensive and that also means you lose the use of one USB port at all times.

xiazixin likes this.
  11. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    My pc can go well over 100°c when running p95 L1 L2 L3 cache.
    I'm not afraid as I'm on AIO loops, for laptops most capasitor have thermal limited at 105°c. Some cpu have 105 t junction. But it shouldn't matters if it didn't throttle. About the capasitor at the back of the cpu... I just hope they don't melt and fall off. As for Northbridge, it's pretty cool. 50+°c or so. Vrm and mos since I use Aio, it should be fine as long as I don't use p95 all the time. Vrm and mos should not having temperature more than 85°c or so if you want your motherboard to last long, Im guilty for this lol.
    For Vrm and mos should be fine as long as you don't mine bitcoin 24hours around the clock. Since you can't overclock your cpu on most of laptops models.

If your not confitable with temperature, upgrade your coolers for your clevo system. There are pretty exotic models out there in the markets. Or adding additional heat pipes to your laptop.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the Windoze notebooks with a discrete GPU will run whatever games just fine... but at the cost of usually having additional weight, bulk and shorter battery runtime. Often with a lot of damned 'vents' all over it, so you can't even use it on your lap (or in bed) because you might block some air flow. So consider the ones that have some sort of comprehensive heat management. Usually, the more vents, the less thought and design went into the computer's heat management, and the more likely it will overheat and throttle (or crash) your games. "Oh, we'll just leave it open for air (and dust and other infiltrations) flowing through the computer and fill it up with fans!"

If you're using this for school, battery runtime will be your biggest concern. There aren't enough outlets to be 'plugged in' everywhere. Something that'll run 14 hours straight will serve you far better than one that will 'hibernate' after a couple of hours.

Meh, I'll give the unsolicited 'advice' to get a 'really good' metal Chromebook for school, and a 'gamer rig' or even a console for home. A few hundred dollars for an all-day battery runtime. Plus the newer ones run Linux apps. If you're gonna run Steam on it, you should probably get one of the ones with an Intel (or Intel-like) CPU in it, though. The ones with a SOC out of a cell phone or tablet work OK for web stuff... but most of the Steam games under Linux were compiled for Intel.

If you are always carrying the 'gamer rig' with you, you run the risk of damaging it or having it stolen. If a Chromebook gets run over by a truck, you'll be a few hundred dollar's worth of upset, versus over $1000 worth of upset.

Also being able to run that game you're addicted to will prey on your mind at school. Do you really want that distraction?

13. lotus.eater086

lotus.eater086 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    your laptop will get super hot ............
    buying laptop for gaming is a poor choice