Spoiler The Duchess's 50 Tea Recipes

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Chizuru, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. andreeanicki

andreeanicki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres a surprise, a prince that thinks hes gods gift to women. Honestly, these brat princes cant compare to the likes of Cesar from surviving as the heroes wife or the second ml from the justice of a villainous woman cant remeber hes name.

2. mikeyla

mikeyla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The second ml, you mean the prince’s brother right? Holy i love him to death Cesar and the brother are really the best out there never done a problem and always stood beside the mcs i love them to death

Seiren88 and Villainess_lovers like this.
  3. andreeanicki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep kay something. I love him hes so cool and amazing, hope she ends up with him but unfortunately not and the crown prince cant be redeemed in my opinion after all he did to her and how he planned to use her to get revenge.

On the note of Cesar, hes just too precious like jullius from this girl is a little wild or asisi from daughter of the emperor. I love them all.

Have u read I dont want to be empress by any chance. I'm looking for spoilers on that

Shey_04 and mikeyla like this.
  4. andreeanicki

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone know where I can buy the original novel from?

5. Themas

Themas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WARNING: SPOILERS, OPINIONS, PERSONAL ANALYSIS, SOME TALK OF MENTAL HEALTH, AND QUESTIONS AHEAD

I just found the webtoon recently and I'm really glad I gave it a try. It lets the author show off their really specific subject knowledge, the art is pretty to look at, and it has the kind of story that's good for an interesting casual read. Actually, when wanting to repeatedly show something (ex. tea, cooking, art, swordsmanship) in THAT level detail, manga/webtoons really are the better (or at least easier) mediums. That's why Shokugeki no Soma manga and the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor webtoon were so popular. With images, the writers don't need to go on and on about how delicious and beautiful the food was or the details that made this statue THAT awe-inspiring and gorgeous. So the Duchess' 50 Tea Recipes webtoon still goes into the details of tea, tea history, and the uses of tea sets, but I feel it's a bit more stomachable than the novel. Not to mention, the praise that's lauded comes off as more comedic than worshipful.

Another thing I really liked was that the story does a large part of focusing on the personal development of the protagonist that got isekai'ed, Park Hajeong. Like, girl actually is her own person rather than "an anonymous office worker isekai'ed to transplant a preferable personality into this unpreferable character". As she herself was a pushover office worker that committed on growing a spine, she got an outsider-looking-in perspective on someone else that was also a pushover. And I REALLY LIKE THAT. This is an EXCELLENT WAY OF USING ISEKAI. Christmas Carol'ed the whole situation where you look in on a similar situation/problem and gain the clarity you couldn't quite have when it was yourself.

It also makes sense that Park is doing what she's now (luxuriating in tea, taking on the responsibilities of a duchess, calling people out on their rudeness) doing because of her OWN personality, not Chloe's or because the plot needed her to. What we can infer about Park in the first chapter of the webtoon is that she's hard-working, responsible, used to being alone, unconfrontational, and a pushover. For the sake of this description, the definition of a pushover here is: unwilling to the point of being unable to say no or refuse, will take on things even when they don't want to at the cost of themselves, bends under pressure, and is unwilling or unable to set boundaries. (Real note: If you are in a situation or position where you are unable to set boundaries or have those boundaries respected, get out of there. Now.) The thing is, Park's weakness was that she kept letting other people push their work onto her, a pushover in taking on responsibilities. OG Chloe was the opposite to the point she couldn't handle ANY responsibility. When Park screwed up BAD (in an unfavorable project she worked her hardest at), she resigned in order to take responsibility. When Chloe screwed up BAD (in managing the household when she probably already knew she was having trouble doing), she blamed a random and innocent kitchen maid when she knows full well that, as the NOBLE in this situation, her word is taken as truth even when everyone knows it's BS. So it's natural for Park-Chloe as a character to decided to take on the responsibilities of a duchess and I like how she's WORKING to be more confrontational and assertive in order to do that, something that doesn't come easily or naturally to her. Chloe's embarrassments, fears, and traumas aren't Park's embarrassments, fears, and traumas. I feel part of what makes this all really WORK is that the webtoon manages to convey Park's detachment from Chloe. She doesn't take or feel them personally even while she knows about them.

Now about OG Chloe... the thing is, I don't think she's a pushover by the time she's grown into what we see in the flashbacks. I think her core personality was that of a pushover, but she's lived in an environment that exacerbated that into being so, so much worse. What we see in the flashbacks of grown (original) Chloe trembling, crying, and unable to meet people's gaze is the RESULT of a pushover being bullied, neglected, and tormented for literally years. With the way she's shown in flashbacks, I would go so far to say that she had anxiety (ESPECIALLY social anxiety) and I would be really surprised if she wasn't depressed. It's also interesting because this kind of female character personality is used so often as the kind of Cinderella or damsel in distress protagonist. I'm glad it's not just the audience learning the realistic weaknesses of such a character personality, but also the protagonist herself.

Questions: On that note, what happened to the OG Chloe? She doesn't seem to be present, with Park seeming to be the only person in the body but with OG Chloe's memories. The 1st chapter seems to imply that Park may have died from alcohol poisoning and/or stress, but did Chloe die? Or was she just straight up overwritten when Park got transmigrated? Is there an explanation for that and does anyone have spoilers?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  6. Evilmambapower

Evilmambapower Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you what happened to the real Chloe?

Spoil us spoil us pls

Jukki likes this.
  7. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weirdly enough, I guess I just kind of assumed that Chloe is dead - and considering her anxiety and circumstances, I figured she might have killed herself. Or tried to kill herself, and her soul moved on before her body had died, which is why Park could transmigrate.

Evilmambapower likes this.
  8. Creolenerd

Creolenerd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm kinda turned off Because they just show the chapter of that maid getting punished because of a mistake the old girl did. It made me uncomfortable Because it's always this underlying vibe the commoners don't really matter. until you need them to love on the main character . Or They need a plot to save all the people from the slum so that we can know that they're good people. I'm kind of over seeing the duke of all the stories not listening to anybody because he feels that he's a Above them because he came from a ball sack of a noble. I'm probably overreacting but this is like 50th story like this. It makes me not care for the main characters

9. AngelRose79

AngelRose79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow thank you so much for all these spoilers !! :X3::X3::X3: I really do love this manhwa !

10. irish_04xoxo

irish_04xoxo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's always like that when it comes to this kind of plot. Commoners are meant to be abuse i mean not in general but some.

11. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, considering the setting and time period, while it is shitty behaviour for modern sensibilities, for back in the day, that's just realistic. Nobility as a concept was just like that. Which is why we ended up killing most of them over here in Europe. So compared to what was the general standard of conduct back in the day, these two are just about the greatest employers you could hope for back then.

12. Creolenerd

Creolenerd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like part of me reads these and I'm you guys are big first world problems whining over social circle. And you have maids being beaten or ppl who have a family being beheaded because they're right and the noble is wrong but has a big ego. I know it was one incident but I'm just turned off idk. Maybe I'm just a little burnt out from these stories tbh.

MirrorsShadow and theilikepie like this.
  13. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same dude. Give me my George Washington isekai

14. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    more like full on french revolution. let them eat.... the blade of a guillotine

MirrorsShadow, Jukki and theilikepie like this.
  15. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until you remember what happened after to the revolutionaries. The American Revolution was one of the most peaceful ones of human history with minimum bloodshed of innocents. And you know. The people in charge actually knew what they were doing

16. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really think you can compare that seeing as how your enemy was on the other side of the planet. Also there have been a lot of more peaceful revolutions since, especially in recent history.

Leilacus likes this.
  17. Evilmambapower

Evilmambapower Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your comment "ball sack of a noble" made my Monday.

Creolenerd likes this.
  18. jina2789

jina2789 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get it why the heck that head maid. I mean she is soooooooo insecure and she thinks highly of herself

19. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think it's explained quite well: A classic case of someone who needs to take it out on someone weaker and bully them because they themselves were bullied and mistreated. Granted, at this point, with the way she is overdoing it, it is starting to look more like an obsession, but I find it quite well written :D

20. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Ummm... they weren’t exactly killed. They lost tremendous power because 2 great wars happened, feudalism isn’t sustainable and many governments switched to republic from monarchies. There are still noble houses but ironically they took up trade coz their assets are locked in land literally. And I’m gonna stop before I go into another wall of text...

As for the rest, *thumbs up*

JuniperBluePen likes this.