Discussion Does anybody else despise harem endings?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sami11, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Excluding the fairly badly (not at all) justified insults ecxcluded maybe. Kek. The rest was talking like a true politician: A lot with little content.

2. Manasong

Manasong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What discussion is there to be had with him? I'm only calling out his prejudice and stupid ideas about relationships.
    Like, let's look at his opinions:

"And these women are still busy cat fighting for the top position. Cuz no woman is fine with being the second in line. Also all of these societies are somewhere in the shitter"

This is just wrong and misogynistic, maybe a little racist, too.

"Thats assuming a heavily braindwashed woman/girl."

Equating different world views and lifestyles to "brainwashing."
    Wrong.trump

"Humans are fickle creatues, and women more so than men."

Misogyny.

"If they (women) feel neglected in a relationship their commitment is gone very quickly."

Soggy-knees.

"And what they (women) feel... thats as subjective as it can get."

My knees are starting to hurt...

"And historically harems tend to be a mess of cat fights over influence with no family time to be found. "

Someone who doesn't really knows harems. You know, Suleiman's harem isn't a good representation of the average harem because Suleman isn't an average person. The average person doesn't have enough influence to be worth fighting for.

"Women don't like to share their men all that much."

Water is escaping my knees.

Of fuck, he used "kek," I feel like I'm talking to a 4/8channer

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    True. Ai-chan is legally in a polygamous relationship. One dude and 2 dudettes (Ai-chan being one of the dudettes). Where Ai-chan lives, it is said that "One, many. Two, a few. Three, very seldom. Four, sometimes." So a harem is not a big deal to us. We don't have a problem with sharing each other.

The 'exclusivity' that the duck mentioned is common only in societies that derive their values from Christianity. Almost every culture in the world prior to Christianity supported the idea of polygamy (or in some cases, polyamory). Go into the Old Testament, and you can see that the Jews had no problem with polygamy before Christianity. Go into India and you will see that they had no restriction on how many wives you can have, and only set it illegal because Christianity told them to do so. There's still one man in India who is married to 39 wives due to a loophole in the law and Muslims in India can still marry 4 wives.

There is no cheating involved. It's all consensual. If Ai-chan's dude wants to do Ai-chan's sister wives, he's welcome to do so. The only thing Ai-chan would ask would be whether Ai-chan goes somewhere else, watches by the side or takes part. Technically, wives can't sex each other, but we're not religious, so we don't care.

It takes a lot more than "I have a dick and I need many girls to satisfy me". Polygamy is not all about sex. In some cases, sex doesn't even come into the equation.

Polygamy (or harem as some people call it) was originally very beneficial to women. Yes, polygyny (one man, many wives) was originally designed to help women. You see, when you have a man who's very powerful or wealthy, it made sense for him to marry more than one, so that his wealth can be spread among many people, instead of just one woman. This reduces the wealth inequality as wealth is not concentrated on only one woman while other women remain poor. Of course, this means that people who don't have power or wealth will have to be satisfied with just one wife.

So the reason why you find the idea of harem so disagreeable is because Christianity taught you that it's wrong and unnatural. Or maybe Christianity taught your society that it's wrong and unnatural, and your society taught you that it's wrong and unnatural. You have been taught by your society to hate the idea. That's why it's often said that your common sense is not everyone's common sense.

Nisaea and Kuro_0ni like this.
  4. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    in reality one women is enough to make a man regret marrying her

5. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but I find the whole idea of "you dislike polygamy because of christianity" to be really disingenuous, sure it has played a large role towards that perception, but people can independently come to have that opinion without being taught by anyone, and polygamy can be so very different even among cultures that does have it, the chinese for example almost always had one wife with a higher status than the rest.
    And honestly, the influence you are arguing about may not even originate from christianity, it could just as well be due to the romans being monogamuos before christianity came along, even if they often had lovers.

6. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Per the bible polygamy and slavery are perfectly fine. As is abortion under certain circumstances.
    Edit: That is to say its mostly greek and roman influence, which spread with christianity. The latter had a tendency to mess up the achievements of the former tho.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Off-topic, but still vaguely related to harems/ multiple partners

Anyone is free to disagree with me on this, but on a biological level, humans are wired to have either one partner or multiple partners.
    In my psychology class, our professor showed various studies into the matter on whether humans are monogamous or polyamorous. With many conclusions that genetically, we are polyamorous creatures.

The limiter to the amount of partners one has or to the devotion to a single partner is dependent on the length of ones "Vasopressin Receptor Gene" The most common example for the study is with the Prairie Vole and the Montane Vole, or the scholarly article about gene switching in rodents.

In short, you have two different species of vole from two separate areas, one being monagamous and the other promiscuous. It was found in a study that the monogamous (Prairie) vole had a longer "VRG" than its cousin the promiscuous (Montane) vole. An over the course of these studies, where they swapped the genes of these rodents, they learned that when they applied gene therapy to the Praire Vole with the Montane Vole's shorter VRG, the Prairie vole exihibited actions like just like its relative. Likewise when the Montane Vole was given the Prairie Vole's longer VRG, it no longer sought different partners and stayed with one partner throughout the study.

And as my Psychology Prof added, they found mirror cases in other mammals, where those devoted to a single mate, had longer Vasopressin Receptor Genes than other promiscuous species.

So yes, length does matter.

Sorry its long, but I wanted to give that background into why certain individuals are likely to cheat on their partners. Well my professor also went into what makes the male brain and female brain tick, but those are ultimately different discussions

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It is true that it could've been the Romans and the Greeks who influenced Christianity to come to the conclusion that polygamy is bad. But it became the core tenet of Christianity that defined one of its teachings, so much so that King Henry broke off from the Catholics because he wanted to marry another woman. But the Romans did not enforce this ideal, they only made it illegal for Romans to have more than one wife and while polygamy was frowned in the citystates of Greece, it was not part of their laws and we know some Greek leaders did have multiple wives.

It was the Christians (and nations influenced by Christian values) who spread it around the world, through two broad events: the Crusades and Colonialism. Out of this, the Portuguese and British probably spread it more than the others with Holland not caring at all. Even Japan was 'monogamized' in a similar way, though it was not due to religious proselytization but more due to losing a world war. Yes, although polygamy was not practiced much in Japan prior to WW2, it was not illegal for them to commit into polygamy and it was their defeat that codified monogamy into their laws.

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    My issue with the claim is that it has stopped being simply a christian thing for a good while now, whether or not christianity had a large part still doesn't make it a good idea to simplify it to just the idea that it is all due to christianity when it is much more complex than that.
    Also there is a huge difference between a culture supporting polygamy and one simply allowing it.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not even against polygamy, as long as all parties are consenting I don't see it as any worse than monogamy.

Feng Tian and Ai chan like this.
  10. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Christian values are at their core still as horrid as they were hundreds of years ago. What people call "christian" values are roman and greek ones. We also got a lot of our science approach from the greeks. Same with law and the romans. What we call western nations (and those are predominantely christian) are based on the roman empire, and the greek influence it brought with it.
    And on the gender equality topic... thats mostly scandinavic. Pre christianity, for that matter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.