Recommendations Self-destructive protagonist

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by pass1478, Feb 17, 2020.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    "Self-destructive behavior is any behavior that is harmful or potentially harmful towards the person who engages in the behavior."

You guys remember the early chapters in Second coming of avarice where mc basically subconsciously wanted to beat or punish himself because of the guilt he felt towards his family (doing his crazy and suicidal actions)?

Or maybe on the early and mid chapters in Pure Love x Insult Complex where the mc indirectly kept on harming himself caused by pushing himself too much when he helps his women, because he saw no value and no importance in himself.

Maybe that one arc in Uchi no Musume where Dale was putting himself in danger in a subconscious attempt to run away from his problems.

Yeah... please recc a novel where mc usually acts like that and that the sidecharacters worry for him. It's okay if he doesn't act like that most of the time, but as long as he acts like that for a gpod chunk of the novel's time.

TokioftheBel likes this.
  2. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there was ever a novel that perfectly fit this description it's:
    FFF-Class Trashero

TokioftheBel likes this.
  3. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Trash of the Count's family
    He doesn't care for himself much, he's fine with getting hurt, then everyone worries for him

4. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Love4NovelGuy

Love4NovelGuy [Veteran Writer] [Reaper]

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s just trolling shamelessly. TrashHero doesn’t hurt himself, he is basically a boring flip version of a generic ‘good’ character.

6. Pirre

Pirre Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean it wasn't hurting himself getting trapped in what essence is a tutorial for 10 years? His whole point is to get out of the damn place because he hates everyone there, but he keeps doing things to fail his evaluation so he goes back to the start which then causes his mentality to get worse and worse? Seems pretty self-destructive to me.

8. Angely

Angely Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, I guess most MC in Chinese novels can be self-destructive trading injury for injury/life with life when in a pinch or when they in a hurry to get stronger, especially those that have heart demons, guilt ridden, grieve stricken etc.?

For example I guess NSBA's Long Chen can be quite self-destructive when angry & even his followers can do that if they can achieve "victory" they can sacrifice themself for their goals or to protect their loved ones in war etc.
    Long Chen even changed his cultivation technique which was really risky & could've killed him.

I guess madman, brave MC's with heavy responsibilities/duty's & daredevils also fit the bill? I think I read way to many novels with such MC's, basically any xanxia/wuxia etc. novel is capable/has that potential or has a moment(s) like that. Many cultivators rather self-destruct that being a slave/captured etc. it's pretty much drilled in them.

If you look at revenge, tragedy tag I guess those MC's are capable of being self destructive to achieve their goal/wish to turn things around even if it kills them.

9. Love4NovelGuy

Love4NovelGuy [Veteran Writer] [Reaper]

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, he hurts himself cause of being a dumbass more than anything else. I don’t find the appeal of the MC as well as he’s basically a Gary Stu that gets what he wants and faces no ‘real’ obstacles. The floppy system mechanics that don’t make much sense among the many other things that go into his favour. It is a story you only read when wasting your time since there’s many better evil protagonists like those from Reverend Insanity or Grasping Evil.