Recommendations Looking for anti-hero MC, interesting story

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SamStrike, Feb 18, 2020.

1. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking for something similar to Trafford Trading Club, Reverend Insanity and Way of the Devil.
    I have asked various times in other places but all I get is the same boring annoying MC. (I also like monsters MC). Badass ≠ Antihero

What I would like:
    1. Unempathetic/Selfish MC.
    2. Male lead.
    3. No harem, if possible no romance at all.
    4. The less comedy the better.
    5. Antagonist not stupid.
    6. MC doesn't always win.

What I have read that I like:

Antihero_Lover and Astaroth like this.
  2. NikuMeat

NikuMeat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    try The Wolven Blade in royalroad you might like it

4. Love4NovelGuy

Love4NovelGuy [Veteran Writer] [Reaper]

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity is a straight up Villiain, not an anti-hero. He kills innocents without blinking and wouldn’t hesitate to screw over someone who hasn’t done anything to him if it meant getting more powerful. He’s an ‘Evil Protagonist’.

Warlock in a Magus World is good if you like Evil Protagonists as well but if you like anti-heroes, then there are many Xianxia and Wuxia that fit that criteria too well.

Enryu022, iDuwei, eray.gns and 2 others like this.
  5. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    a wise man once said"there is not good or evil ,there is only power and those who are too weak to seek it

6. ShokoWhite

ShokoWhite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I definetly recommend « Birth of the demonic sword » its a transmigration novel but since « earth » the mc is already a loner who’s tired of living his life like others just waiting for death. He doesn’t get attached to anyone he’s ruthless to others and himself, knows when its time to run and abandon his « friends » Edit: There is no cheats at all (besides his memory of earth who at this point isn’t really used)

7. Imperiestro

Imperiestro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    FFF-class trashero

It even meets the "MC doesn't always win" criteria somewhat, though 'not stupid antagonist' is up in the air.

9. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    FFF-Class Trashero, he is tough to beat but it does happen, a lot moreso in the untranslated chapters

10. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Voldemort was a huge ass aswell so I wouldn't consider him "a wise man"... And when you read it for the first time, you tend to agree with "good or bad being subjective and power outshining all" message but "feeding alive virgin girls to your pets" isn't really open to discussion whatever it is evil or not when it comes to Reverend Insanity. Anti-hero MCs also might cause similiar outputs but it wouldn't be with direct involvement as with Reverend Insanity's MC.

11. howardtm

howardtm Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Love4NovelGuy

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyway, Evil Protagonists mostly say this.

13. Love4NovelGuy

Reading List:
    Link
    He’s definitely not an Anti-Hero as well. Just trash pretending to be a ‘Hero’ who suffers no real setbacks and grows stronger despite consistently choosing dumb decisions that pretend to be meta.

I mean there’s nothing remotely ‘meta’ about calling a trope out and then repurposing entire characters so they do dumb stuff for the sake of that trope. Every ‘good guy’ in that story doesn’t have an IQ over one digit and all the remaining brain cells the Author didn’t bother to use when writing the story goes into the trashy MC who makes bad decisions for the sake of being a crazy jerk.

14. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

Well the that quote said " There is not good or evil....", Not it being subjective.

And even if it is subjective that act would be perfectly normal to a apathetic and power driven person.

before you go on about how killing an innocent young girl in such a manner is no way subjective, remember the mc (Fang yuan) is person who's outlived a mortal life by 500 yrs, he has seen has many if not more human entrails than a veteran butcher has seen cows and pigs'.

Inside a mind where except himself everything moving is nothing more than expendables, a girl is no different than a ripe young lamb waiting to turn into delicious lamb chops.

Lonely69 likes this.
  15. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, tell me how this doesn't make him evil in any way or shape? Psychopatic evil even. I'm not condemning Reverend Insanity here, to each their own. Some people might enjoy reading such MC but that doesn't change the fact that he is the real villain of the story.

16. ShokoWhite

ShokoWhite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Reverend Insanity i’d say that the way of cultivation is weird (Gu’s etc) and some demand such sacrifices. Yes fang yuan kills without blinking but not because he likes it but because he needs it and he is honest about it with himself while the so called righteous gu masters do the same shit but in a roundabound way to feel better about their hypocrite selves. The gu world is a cruel world, fang yuan just adapted to it in his own way. He never tried to justify his actions and he says he kills but is also ready to be killed on his path.

Zeusomega, iDuwei and eray.gns like this.
  17. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the The Author of Eternity, apparently author decide to rewrite it

18. iDuwei

iDuwei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

psychology is just a vague understanding of the common majority.

I'm sure if a psychologist went to gu world, they'd revise 80% of what they assumed normal and abnormal.

But I do get what you are saying, don't worry. But it's inappropriate to just define a hero and villian by just black or white, especially not in Reverend Insanity.

Real History has taught us, only winners are heroes and losers are villains.

20. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have put Reverend Insanity in what I have already read, as WOMW isn't that interesting for me, dropped at around 300chps