Recommendations Harem novel that isn't an author's fulfillment delusion

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by zduino, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I answer your summon oh MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha
    Have you read Arena? I got a commission to complete the translation

Paps likes this.
  3. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, sincerely I barely have time to read now days, I am behind in a lot of projects already, can't be jumping into new series easely. Not to mention I am in a Western books rush at the moment.

Cosmic_ and Wujigege like this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What books are you reading?

5. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Endless Path: Infinite Cosmos is a fun read for the first few couple hundred chapters. Especially if you are fine in bingeing and indulging in it. It's enjoyable and does well in satisfying a craving especially for harem, the OP growth and power aspects of fanfic, the Out of Context Special/Unique Chosen One feel, and some good smut with some actual emotion in it.

The problem starts later once you start to lose momentum and get off the initial high. I loved EPIC. I'd still recommend it and the writing and author has potential, talent, and dedication. My problem is that I've become disappointed and dissatisfied with it. I hate/dislike/criticize it from love. Later on, things transformed into a mess. The pacing slows to an awful level that ruins the momentum and interest one has. Even a novel addict like me gets bored. Worst, for me, is the treatment of characters and the betrayal I feel from the shift away from my main draw to the series.

As the harem grows, relationships and that emotional connection becomes less meaningful and entire lessons and themes get thrown away or forgotten. You start seeing the flaws in characters and writing. You see the blatant wish-fullfillment. I believe novels and fantasy are constructed lies we chose to temporarily accept and indulge in. I know I have trash taste, but I'd want to at least be convinced it's high quality trash. It was smut and harem, but it tried to make relationships meaningful.

Now, it's just collecting girls and a whole bunch of problems including the whole angle with Freya. Plus, the MC is supposed to be this God-King yet he's forced to have these political marriages and sire children with women he barely has emotions for. The author portrayed sex as an intimate thing, a milestone in life and love, and something between people who will love each other and raise a product of that love. Yet, now anyone is fine and he's fine with anyone having his children even if he'd never get to raise them. Like WTH.

Overall it's not what OP is looking for. Sorry for the rant. Just had to get that out after being reminded of it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished Power Mage 5 by Hondo Jinx, I have readed Celestine Chronicles by Cebelus, I am currently readin Shapeless by Glenn Bullion. Last year I readed a lot of P.S Power works I like his style, as well as Daniel Quentin Steele work of When we were Married. And others books as well.

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you get the books on Amazon?
    I saw Power Mage info on Goodreads, as I said in a thread earlier, I don't like a jack of all trades protagonist
    A protagonist that can use only one element is more fun

Paps likes this.
  8. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but in Power mage is more complicated than that even when he cracks a strand he is not omnipotent in it, and it takes several books for him to crack them. But you are rigth, well Celestin series MC is a figther and so far hasn't shown any magic so maybe that would fit better.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    haha. I feel bad cuz people keep callin me and im mostly at scribblehub these days.

Anyway is there REALLY any that isnt wishfulfillement? Well i know of some that does it right tho, but they're surprisingly not light novels. The one that jumps to mind most readily is Elliot Kay's story Good Intentions series. I think the first book can be read for free somewhere?

Wujigege likes this.