Is there writing difference....

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hegao, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if you guys know any written difference when male and female wrote harem novel.

Loni4ever likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Females authors create female charas while male writers mostly create cardboard cutouts, maybe? :hmm:

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. In fact, if you are a very discerning reader, it is even possible to "feel" the difference between writers of even the same gender because every one has their own unique way of writing.

For the gender gap, this is not universal but female writers tend to be a bit more inward looking, focusing on internal feelings, thoughts and general appearence while males tend to focus on the sexual characteristics and behavior. Not universal by the way, even less so with writers that are married and can consult with their spouses for the opposite viewpoint.

You living in 1920? Rubber dolls! Get with the times, males now create rubber doll cutouts!

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2020
  4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    female author start by describing the women's clothing,while male author normally focus on how the titties tittily sway with every move of their imposing bussom

5. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    "That was a nice dress she was wearing."
    "Dress?"
    :p

6. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    You can not change titties....

Nightow1 likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Varies from author to author I guess? I don't think any generalized opinion will hold much weight.

If anything, I think there is a bigger chance for female authors to focus on the feelings of the characters primarily and plot secondarily, while the male authors have a bigger chance of focusing on the plot primarily and on feelings secondarily.

rem22, SilverFeather, ludagad and 3 others like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:
    [​IMG]

ludagad, blues86, imK and 3 others like this.
  9. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Police are looking for the armed robber known as the "Topless Bandit". From witness statements, if anyone sees a 36D, please call your nearest police station. The suspect is thought to be armed and dangerous.
    :whistle:

10. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So which one is better?

11. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    There are also things that male writers don't do while female writers do and viceversa, usually.

For example, a female writer is able to make her female characters ugly, embarass them or even describe them in situations that put in doubt their femininity. Male authors, usually avoid all that. Male writers do the opposite, they can make their male characters fart, shat themselves, pick their nose, etc but very rarely they make their female characters go under such a doubtful circumnstances.

Mind that this is something noticeable not only in novels but in various media as well, where the original work has a single author.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    rem22, ludagad, blues86 and 3 others like this.
  12. Insanenebula

Insanenebula Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is one important difference only: the drama level.

13. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Only going off of anecdotal evidence so it can't be counted as reliable. Only my personal experience.
    Male authors tend to keep their focus on what is happening, aka the 'action'.
    Female authors tend to give more space to the emotions involved.
    Of course there are plenty of outliers from both. This is only my general observation.
    I like both.

14. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chick fliks follow the "they like eachother", she then "likes other guy" , he "realizes he loves her and has to win her back" trope, which I personally hate. It feels like cuckold. So it's a competition someone gets cucked at one point or another.

On the other hand from male perspective the MC is simply to dense or to insecure to make a decision on the spot, so he keeps the girls in the limbo enjoying the attention "while it lasts" , mc is just attention seeking simp , until the girls start getting mad at him for being indecisive . They leave him to his own toughs and he then "man's up".

Based mostly on Japanese Material.

Literally the best romance stories I have seen were all Yaoi of all things ,I'm not into that sort of thing, but they at least had logical flow.

The two dudes acted like dudes.

SilverFeather likes this.
  15. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't you pointing to the inner workings of some authors' subconscious?
    like what their egos wish for, (virgin) girls want to be fought over and (virgin) guys want to be popular.

SilverFeather likes this.
  16. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Female authors are like: She is beautiful
    Male author are like:She is an extremely beautiful woman beyond the limits of the brush and ink. Words failed to convey the sight of her. Her beauty had reached an unrealistic level. Any other woman would be overshadowed by her beauty. She is matchless and had a profound and immaculate gaze that stole the light from the celestials in the sky, causing them to be too ashamed to show themselves. Her figure, with flawless curves, was out of this world. Even the most scrutinizing gaze would fail to find any flaws. Her body seemed to be one with the world, the most beautiful of all objects. Her oval face was exquisitely stunning, an impeccable masterpiece of the heavens. Anyone who caught sight of it would be in awe and shock. Even though she wore a plain white dress, this didn't diminish her presence. She was someone who didn't require any decoration, jewelry was simply superfluous. This ordinary dress was the most suitable for her. Its simplistic style when adorned by her created the most beautiful charm

ludagad likes this.
  17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I read all the answers and agreed with most of them, have nothing else of substance to add, lol. I took your question as how do males and females write harem (comprised of women) differently. Then I realized it could also be a reverse harem?

For the first case, a female author would be more sensitive toward the inner dynamics of the harem - the intrigues, the jealousy, the bottled up dissatisfaction, the desire to wipe out all the rest and bear the only heir, the gradual loss of love and any youthful illusions, the days, months, and years of sexless life if someone else takes your spot as favored, the grouping up in cliques, the plotting to get rid of the most favored one. It turns into more of a power struggle, than anything sexy or romantic. You get it. The way male authors write it, hehe, it's meant to be a pleasurable fantasy, so why spoil it with heavy feelings. There will be jealousy and competition in his harem, only meant to stroke the MC's ego and show how desirable he is - so, rather than poisoning or framing their competitors, you'll see the harem girls sticking to the MC, grabbing his arms, glaring at the other girls, demanding attention and being cute. Eventually, they'll even start tolerating each other and call each other sisters and peacefully share the god-given gift that is the MC's dick MC.

As for reverse harems, depends on the author. Most female authors writing reverse harem can't handle being as shameless as male authors about this topic. While male authors take it as a given that the guy will get a harem, deserves it, and is supported by the polygamous setting, the female author has to go against socially acceptable constructs and even her own desires. So you end up with a weak-willed MC who gets fucked half-against her will ('but her body is more honest' :rolleyes:) and the dudes just line up for her and she has no choice in the matter and 'can't help' but accept. Some authors will change to a matriarchy setting to justify the reverse harem, and she'll usually have to earn her men and go through many troubles cause of them (one to one with male MC and female harem). And occasionally, you get the shameless author with a shameless MC who just likes hot guys and has sex left and right, and the guys somehow end up loving her and forming a harem. Reality? Male pride? What's that? Can we eat it? And they're all hot, rich and influential dudes, too. Basically, you get a female MC with the morals of a perv male MC, and a harem of dudes with the self respect of female harem members. Fair enough. Still better than the author who set up the reverse harem for 200 chapters, only to pussy out in the end and make it one on one and apologize in the author's note, saying even though she intended a harem ending, she got scared about how the readers would react, lmao. And I've read a few reverse harems written by men, um, it's more like a hentai. The dudes the MC fucks aren't all good looking; she may end up getting raped a few times by some uncles. She'll get either depressed or mind-broken, or turn into a total slut who wears two strips of clothing and enjoys the attention and occasional rape she gets. Kinda seems like the author hates her.

Well, in both cases, the MC's need to be loved and desired. And others have already said it. Female authors will concentrate on the emotional aspects and the drama. The male authors will concentrate on the collection, building and maintaining factor, which I reckon readers find more enjoyable and engaging if they're into harems. Of course, these are just my observations and opinions, and I can't cover every novel in existence, so I'm generalizing as hell. :blobwhistle:

patient, Hegao and imK like this.
  18. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the type of guy , most of the time dudes look for "someone to be mine" , not popularity nor understanding.
    When it comes to LOVE. What dudes like is being popular for being funny , at least for me my looks never came into my mind (Kinda popular back in the day).
    Certainly didn't wish for a harem, maybe a summoned succubus. (complete devotion and loyalty).

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.