Discussion Passion, dreams, imagination, success?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zduino, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is it in today's world that all of those are synonymous? Passion, does not lead to success: it usually leads for failure. Dreams are not imagination, they are just a part of it. So why does it feel like the mentality of how to be truly successful is to do what your passion is?

I've heard recently on a news report that brilliance isn't achieved, it's born... that was just a depressing thought to me at the time. But what if its true? Or rather, why wouldn't be true? Clearly people have different skill sets, and it is also apparent that in most cases those differences cannot be overcome by shear effort.

Or in my case: if one loves cats, but one is allergic to them, is it wrong to possess them?

imK and TownsPersonB like this.
  2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a genius and there's a genius with an insight.
    There's a gifted and there's the inventive.
    There's a hard workers and there's the lucky.
    It's all true for the above and it's true as well regarding the failures.

As for the cats depends on how you made it out to be. Do you love them enough to ignore the health risk associated with them ? I mean while drugs addict, alcoholic and smokers exist there exist as well people that live strong with relatives with disabilities, or taking care of orphans, etc all those selfless things that clearly don't benefits themselves.

imK likes this.
  3. Kind Uncle Next Door

Kind Uncle Next Door Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, in case you dont know, there is a non-allergenic cats/hypoallergenic cats

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    imK, zduino and reagents 11 like this.
  4. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, this "talent" thing is just a bad excuse really. People make excuses like "yeah that guy is way better than me because he was born a genius and I'm just a normal person" while they ignore the hundreds of hours of effort that person spent to improve that certain skill. Being successful is not about being passionate, I can literally dream my entire life about becoming a billionaire, if I don't put in the effort to actually achieve that goal then I'm not going to get anywhere.

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    To me the all four are dead, especially the last one.

imK likes this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many of us want a loving relationship but we are too much of an introvert to actually try to talk to a member of the opposite sex

imK likes this.
  7. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the existence of talent is easy to spot if you know where to look for. Some people really are more skillful at some things to the degree that it can't be explained with just hardwork. This is especially true for physical activities/sports. It's been proven long ago that some athletes are just born superior.
    Also, the fact that talent exists is easily made obvious when you look at peoples IQs. There are people out there who start to read and write by the time they are 3. That is not something your avergae child can do no matter how many hundreds of hours they put into it.

Obviously, talent isn't the answer in everything, nor is it something that makes THAT much difference in almost anything. If you are talented but don't turn that talent into skill, you'll always lose to the hardworker.

imK likes this.
  8. mizzu321

mizzu321 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    brilliance isn't achieve, it's born. its true, many people say talent is just excuse. but if you really tempered and work hard in one subject long enough you will realize that talent is truly exist (of course if you don't work hard to nurture it, it useless), hard work doesn't equal success, hard work + talent is equal a success. I've seen many people work hard enough and it doesn't even bear a fruit until they destroy themselves.

While passion is not always lead to success, it's what help you stay until you success (if you got what it takes though). and IMO what makes different with genius, prodigy, or normal people is. genius can make something or introduce completely new, prodigy can make something with what currently found in this world, and normal people just normal they can't make change they can only support what we currently have.

imK likes this.
  9. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    But what if that person is a talented and a hardworker as well, so can the hardworker without talent beat the talented and hardworker guy?:blobconfused:

10. TheF00rgotenMel0n

TheF00rgotenMel0n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference is between people's nature, everything else is irrelevant. Wether a person is happier than their counterpart,peers,and loved ones. That is it, when they say follow your passion all they are saying is to do what makes you happy. The only thing that will decide your fate is if you spend more than you earn, and a damaged body due to neglgilence.

imK likes this.
  11. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    This feels like the whole "philosophy" thing.

I feel like this has 2 things so yeah.

Some people "are" while other "arent". But theres a misconception about something; the "doesn't have" CAN become the "has".

Heres a better explanation. I was born a poor dude in the worst neighborhood in my state and this means I was born as a person that "doesn't have". I was slowly raised to trust the most ignorant things like homophobia, racism, sexism, and the idea that ranch goes on everything. Later on in life I had a bunch of shit happen to me that led to me slowly learning that theres more to EVERYTHING. I studied whatever I could and gained the title of a person that "has".

You "experience" things so you can gain "soul".

Theres also the idea that all sentient life has experienced something very close to yin and yang aka duality. For example, theres sinners and people that know ranch is reserved for salad and chicken. These to things CANNOT MIX but that doesnt mean they cant be similar to each other, you get me? Ok so, they're both eating something no matter what the situation. Its like what Lil Wayne said "Don't let the mirror judge you; you judge what you see in the mirror. Let the world be your mirror." (actually pretty chill and cool dude heres what he actually said ).

He spit some straigh facts but theres still something we need to notice the deeper meaning of this dudes bars. This means you "judge" what you "see" in the world but something we cant forget is that the "mirror" might also "judge" us. When he says judge we can imply that he means what we see mentally. But we can also infer that the mirror is also the deep part of our conscience or society judging us from what they see. Its like a double edged sword.

Or you could be talking about something completely different

imK likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's bullshit tbh, like... Sure, Talent exists... And it's like... 10% of the reason why successful people are successful.

The other 90% are hard work. And you can make up for those last 10% by working a bit harder anyways.

imK likes this.
  13. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Headlines sell and that's why people push them. Most people are mediocre to average and everybody would like a shortcut to success. Not many people want to hear they have to work hard, they have to work smart, etc. No way. They want what they want and they want it now. They definitely don't want to hear that they probably won't make it even if they do their best, because their best won't be good enough. Even if it's true it's still depressing.

People start off with varying stat boosts. Maybe they're born with wealth, connections, good looks, athletic, artistic or academic ability higher than most. Some are also born with greater maximum potential than others. That's just life. Focusing on what you have in relation to your peers is completely natural. Sometimes it even motivates people to work hard to succeed if only to be at the front of the pack. For many though, it's a waste of time and only serves to demotivate instead of encouraging you.

Think about what you actually want. What does your average day look like in your ideal reality? What do you do? How do you live? Got that in mind? Great. Now you need to figure out how you're going to get there. Yeah, you. Every single person is different and what path you take is going to be dependent on how motivated you are, your commitment to achieving it, capitalizing on your relevant strengths if you have them and building up relevant skills if you don't. Make a study of anything you want to achieve. Find people who have achieved what you want to achieve. Learn how they did it. Use them as benchmarks for where you want to get to. You don't have to emulate them, just use them as a reference point. Acknowledge your weaknesses and figure out how to deal with them. Make plans and action them. Planning is great, but action is what brings it to life. Be flexible. You might have to adjust on the fly. Get comfortable with learning from your failures. You're going to make them and if you don't learn from them you're going to repeat them. If something doesn't work for you either adapt what you're doing accordingly or throw it away and try the next thing. Working gets you results. Working hard gets you better results. Working smart is even better still.

Passion alone is neither here nor there. It's great, but it doesn't do anything by itself. People make a big deal about passion because it's often intertwined with drive and determination. A commonality successful people tend to have is that they were passionate about something and that passion lead them to keep pushing onwards and finding solutions until they reached their goals. Their passion was so great that it motivated them to do whatever it took to achieve their successes. Now, it's not that you can't be successful without it. Nobody with a brain would say you can't succeed if you don't have passion. You can succeed in almost anything if you're resourceful, competent and consistent enough. What the champions of working towards your passions are saying is that it can help you get where you want to be if you know how to use it.

As for your cat: If you want a cat, get a cat and treat it well then there's nothing wrong with having a cat even if you're allergic to them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  14. DefinitelyNotEpstein

DefinitelyNotEpstein New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe your comment is bullshit tbh. Explain what you've done to offset that 10%? Anything? Or are you just replying to philosophically challenging questions to entertain yourself? While that may have been harsh, it is not my intention. There are those like Nikola Tesla who were born with minds that excelled. Einstein even commented on how Tesla was the most genius man to ever live. Those two were born with "it". Hard work and passion help, but even Tesla was extremely poor and yet he was still accomplished. He did great things. One could argue that if you're not in the top 1% you're in a similar position to Tesla, yet I don't see you revolutionizing the world.

imK likes this.
  15. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like cats, just get one.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    What I've done? I'm worked, what else? Worked as much as I can to pay my bills and what not, which is what pretty much everyone does~

And why should I care about revolutionizing the world? Leave that to ambitious people, I wanna pay my bills, making the world a better place can be done by people that actually care about it.

imK likes this.
  17. zduino

zduino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

18. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link