Question How do you decide on which novel to translate?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Little Potato, Jan 28, 2020.

?

My decision lies in

1. reading the entire raw first then deciding

24.0%
  2. reading part of the raw then deciding

42.0%
  3. MTL-ing the entire raw first then deciding

10.0%
  4. MTL-ing part of the raw then deciding

6.0%
  5. how enticing the title and/or summary is

26.0%
  6. the ranking/views/comments of the novel on the raw site

16.0%
  7. Random selection and pray for the best

10.0%
  8. NU Pickup Request

30.0%
  9. Novel Recommendations from other sources

20.0%
  10. How easy it is to translate from raw

22.0%
  11. How easy it is to MTL from raw

14.0%
  12. if I like the story or not

68.0%
  13. if the genre is in demand or not

6.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I asked my mom.

2. frostcrystal

frostcrystal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a specific list on NU that's basically "cool novels that aren't currently being translated", and whenever I run across a dropped novel where I'm dying to read it in my native language, I add it in. When it comes time to pick a novel to translate, I choose one from there based on whether or not I liked however much is already translated, and how well the author did in their other works. My Chinese isn't that great, so I'm a bit limited in terms of genre - I find it difficult to read historical novels in particular, so I try to stick to easy, modern, straightforward romance for translation when in reality I'd love to try other genres.

Unless the novel's pretty short, I skim but don't usually actually read it before translating because I lose motivation when that happens :p Although you're totally correct that it's running the risk of some awful ending!

Re: MTLing novels, I like to do the thing where you compare it with the raw. In addition to copy-pasting the MTL into the document I'm working on, I also copy-paste the raw into an online translator - the one I use has this automatic character dictionary where I can double-click on an unfamiliar character and up pops a little box with the definition. I like the MTL because it's super nice to already have kind of a suggestion for a word, and since my Chinese is weak, I feel better having some reassurance that I read it right. I more or less find myself completely rewriting most sentences as part of the editing, anyway.

nyamachi and Little Potato like this.
  3. ryuxenji

ryuxenji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far, I've only worked on two novels. The first one was selected for me since I was actually hired, so not much in terms of freedom of choice with that one, while the second one was just selected off the NUF novel request threads.

In selecting that second one, among the things I considered were 1) whether the novel was complete, 2) what were the genre and general themes, 3) how many chapters there were, 4) who was the publisher, and 5) if I liked the writing style.

There certainly was some demand for the novel since it was on the request thread; level of demand does not matter to me much in any case. At that time, I was pretty much looking for an already completed novel with a manageable amount of chapters, and I wanted something different from my previous novel in terms of genre and themes. Consideration 4 was to avoid stepping on anyone's toes (ahem, ahem), and consideration 5 was out of immense headaches I've gotten from reading some other novels before this.

At the end of the day though, you do you. Everyone has a different set of priorities which may change at given times. :blobwink:

4. AgroSquerril

AgroSquerril Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey all here are todays videos

5. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    @frostcrystal That's a really good idea! I should start a list of my own.

We seem to be the opposite. I'm much more comfortable translating historical novels over modern day ones. Maybe we can swap tips? :blobsnow:

I chose my current project based on what I was comfortable with. I had already started reading when the translator decided to drop it so I was invested in the story. I was comfortable with the historical Palace Intrigue setting too thanks to binge watching so many ancient setting dramas. When I saw the request on the pickup forum, I went for it. It's my first project but I'm loving it so far! Choose what speaks to you~ blobmelt_thumbs

6. jintingmei

jintingmei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm getting paid then I couldn't care less, otherwise if its for my personal blog, I skim the first few chaps, the middle, and the ending. I don't really mind if a story goes to shit really as long as the writing and phrasing is nice enough to read.

7. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm motivated.
    If not, I'll translate anything for newbi translator if they need help for the first few chapters to get TMX translation memories going.

8. nyamachi

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin What are TMX translation memories?

9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Translate memory is exactly what it says in Wikipedia, which help translateors to get the quility under control and consistency. So a good translation memories can make a newbi translator translate better.

nyamachi likes this.
  10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Asami likes this.
  11. nyamachi

Reading List:
    Link
  12. frostcrystal

frostcrystal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read your latest chapter! I'm relieved you haven't dropped it yet, it's one of my favourites. ^_^ I would love to chat and swap tips sometime.

nyamachi likes this.