University degrees, are yours worth the price?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So today someone shared this picture on facebook.

[​IMG]

And that's absolutely true. Literature (and other vanity degrees) have pretty much no value. You're just adding debt to your account without the guarantee of paying them. It would be fine if you really wanted it and you're really good at it that you can become a professor or someone renowned for it. But for most of us, it's practically useless.

Art degrees? Who the fuck cares if you have a first class degree in contemporary art? English literature degree? Nobody looks at it. Today is not like the days of our fathers where a degree guarantees you a job. Today everyone has a degree that it's not much different from tissue paper, except this tissue paper costs you tens of thousands of dollars.

If you plan on getting a job after university, technical and scientific degrees are pretty reliable, but still doesn't guarantee a job. Electrical engineering? Neurology? Mechanical Engineering? Those are pretty good, get those if you like those stuff.

There are people who have computer science degree who sold burgers after graduating. Ai-chan's old software engineering and games design degree was completely worthless and no employer cared about it because we weren't true programmers (only taught basic C and C++) and we weren't true graphic artists (only taught basic Photoshop and 3Ds Max). So what technical skills did we actually have?

What about you? Was your degree worth the debt you incur? How are you doing with paying off your student loan? How big is your student loan (no need actual figures if you don't want to tell, just say the estimate on how long it would take to pay them off)? What advice would you give to the new kids on the block?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't have a debt because uni is free in my country, but I never finished mine so I don't even have a history degree.

And in all honesty, I don't really mind it. I'm trying to work from home-office nowadays and that degree would be useless for that regardless... I don't think it's a bad idea to get a degree, but like... If you don't have a solid plan to get a job that is worth the time you'll spent on uni, might as well not even go for it.

3. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    My student loan so far is thankfully still $0 because my family is so dirt poor they give enough scholarships and grants to cover a good chunk of mine - though now that I've moved off campus, they even give me money back from extras. But this was because I choose school based on my wanted career choice and price. An in-state, small but still decently known campus saves a lot of money yoooo

I am a computer science and new media double major. Graduating next fall wooo

PS: I do work two jobs

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  4. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine is Accounting and i got civil servant job
    Uni is free but i must work as civil servant at least 10 years

5. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    White straight men from a lower middle class standard of living and relatively higher education but not top 20% dont get scholarships. So yeah, I'm in debt. But I'm getting a business degree and hope to make it back quickly enough.

6. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m getting a bio engineering degree + university isn’t disgustingly expensive here. So yes, it is

Kuro_0ni, Femme Fatale, imK and 2 others like this.
  7. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    broke, migration background,poor family, studying law, i don't know maybe a big law firm can use me for some diversity advertisement

Fulminata and Ai chan like this.
  8. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Normaly a high School diplomas are enought for your average work as long you have some work experience(stages), but having a university diploma can help you to get promotions more easily if it's work related(more pay)....otherwise you are wasting your time....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Femme Fatale, imK and Ai chan like this.
  9. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still doing my degree in Information Systems and Operations Management with a minor in Business Analytics and I've pretty much heard a department professor say that Information Systems is a completely worthless degree because in today's age, companies would much prefer hiring Computer Science students who have the software skills rather than Information System students which I pretty much agree with. Hence, why I took a second major. :(

Fortunately for me, I don't live in America nor do I study in international schools nor do my family follow Western values, my parents foot my entire tuition fee because the government in my school subsidizes a big portion of the university fee, so I don't have to worry much about paying my tuition. In fact, working two and a half months full time at a decent paying job would be enough to foot one semester's bills, which is why I would usually do winter and summer internships.

For advice, gosh, it's hard to give good advice because I have so many different conflicting opinions.

• For example, I know it's better to get a practical degree rather than a (hobby) degree because companies are looking to cut costs on training and would rather hire someone who at least has some knowledge of the industry, especially when you have just graduated.
    • Also, make a lot of friends (as connections), this is especially important as a business student because in the near future, when you look for a job, it's easier to ask friends for referrals instead of going through the entire application process.
    • Diversify your skill set, join workshops, learn a programming language. You have 4 years to polish your skill before you enter the workforce, make sure you are equipped and have an edge over your competitors in the workforce.
    • If you want a high paying job then remember the words 'Pain is temporary, GPA is forever.' If I could restart my uni life, I would have probably tried harder in my studies. Competing for a management trainee position as a graduate job is so hard in an Asian country. There's at least 5 steps in the application process and the first one is always whether you have a minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.4.
    • Do (at least 2) internships, if you want to take a break from school to do full time, go for it! University is the only period you can try out different jobs for short periods so take this opportunity to discover what industry you want to work in and gain experience. It's also going to look good in your resume when you apply for graduate jobs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Kuro_0ni, 0000000, blues86 and 7 others like this.
  10. sorenman1

sorenman1 The Forgotten Engineer of Legends

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a master in civil engineering-construction engineering depth. In my country, you cannot get a decent paying job in the engineering world unless you start from the very bottom as a CAD tech and move your way up to an engineer in like 10 years. With my degree, i could automatically be an engineer in training and in three years be a licenced civil engineer by the government and make a very nice salary. I have no debt due to how affordable the university i went to and the fact that i worked throughout my university stay as a concrete finisher which made a decent $17/hr wage in my country.

11. Master

Master [Old Pervert] [Grandmaster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m in £27,000+ debt but at least I won’t pay it off until I make more than £21,000 annually.

then again, my uncle has connections, so i already got a graduate job waiting for me.

12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Education has become a brand by itself.

13. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Uwaahh that's quite a terrible way to look it. I agree though lawyer can only thrive with a law firm these days just like journalists. Shady group of people may want to hire for a law adviser but the association may not worth the risk.

14. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a student debt of more than $30k that I had been actively ignoring alongside with my OTHER DEBTS. i studied Mech. Engring, got a piss poor Bachelor and the lowest starting pay than my mates in school. At least the company is a nice one with all sorts of bonuses to keep morales up. Still has a piss poor pay for all the years I spent in the company though.

15. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I will lurk to get info~:cookie:

such timely thread when I was worrying about my future education route!

16. Exitiumm

Exitiumm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Probably helps I’ll graduate with a whopping $0.00 in student debt though.

17. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Get medical degree. It always hiring. If not local you can find job aboard.

Jeiyiii, Fulminata, Kuro_0ni and 6 others like this.
  18. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    Computer Science not graduated yet but found a job data base engineer :)

Kuro_0ni, Femme Fatale and Ai chan like this.
  19. Nocta

Nocta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm lucky that uni is almost free in my country, so I have no debts. But after high school I had the choice between studying science or language, and I regret picking language. I love learning Japanese and English, but a degree in this is useless. I should have gone for a doctor or an engineer degree since I had the ability to.
    So my advice to younger people is to choose utility over hobby. Unless you're very good and confident in your art/writing/xx skill, go for stability and employment.

20. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link