The Clickbaity Novel Summary Game

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Szara, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese authors have a tendency to wax poetic and include bad-ass quotes in their novel summaries… which reveals nothing about the actual plot at all.

Objective: Rewrite your own sensationalized synopsis about a novel (that is still true!) which may entice other people to check it out. (Warning: might contain slight spoilers).

'Seven Unfortunate Lifetimes, All Thanks to a Moment of Impulse'
    The male lead transmigrates into the body of a woman, while the female MC ends up in the body of a man. The female MC asks if ML has been fooling around with other men to "experience what it's like" when he is discovered to be pregnant.

'Your Majesty Please Calm Down'
    Girl masquerades as a eunuch. Causes other dudes to have gay panic crisis.

'The Demon King Always Think I'm Secretly in Love With Him'
    4000 year-old tsundere virgin one-sidedly falls in love with a sleazy manwhore who is secretly assisting his greatest nemesis. Two gay adoptive parents must struggle between raising a rebellious teenager while plotting to take over the world.

2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe... When I see a poetic synopsis that reveals nothing about the plot (either female MC or BL), I assume it's a tragedy and/or melodrama and merrily skip it over. In the case it's the n-th cultivation novel with male MC with this type of synopsis, I put it in a pile and wait till it reaches 500+ chapters to see if a polygamy tag has popped up, then I throw it in the drop pile (or read the reviews to see what's going on in there). In any case, these synopses don't entice me to read, so I usually don't. So I can't rewrite their synopses since I don't know what they're about, lmao. The few novels with female MC's I've tried despite these synopses have been two tragedies and one melodrama with an unsatisfying end.

lohwengk and Szara like this.
  3. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    @ludagad

'Lost You Forever' is one of those stories that is so, so, so good but has a very un-helpful synopsis. (I would've definitely skipped over it were it not for the glowing reviews).

The synopsis is beautifully written but not very telling... although I'm not sure how I would re-write the summary for that story without being too spoilery. The overall plot doesn't sound super exciting when you write it out, but the story is absolutely enchanting. Albeit a little melodramatic, maybe.

Sometimes stories with a synopsis that is too dry and literal can be boring. Finding a nice balance can be tricky xD

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    'He's Mine, No Objections Allowed'**
    A hot, ripped, secretly rich guy (not that there's any other type in romance) plays knight in shining armor to our distressed MC. But...
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    The villainous MC, with salacious intent in mind, hunts down her reluctant, now-distressed rescuer.

** The description might contain some exaggerations. But srsly, it's fantastic.

Szara and M4rcosR3is like this.
  5. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now i do not know if i give a like or not; because it fits perfectly the novel but also works for 99,999% of all modern-romance rich guy cn-kr novel and this makes it more or less generic introduction :(.
    you truly have a talent for it; maybe you should try to work in get well card's business; since the description really fit's the novel like a glove but also all others once you read it for the second time. .
    well like is free so take one.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I clicked on the link, and lo and behold, it's in my dropped pile... Author: Tong Hua. I automatically put her novels in the dropped pile. No time for melodrama, angst and tears. It's a personal taste thing. I used to prefer novels meant for male demographic because of all the adventure, action, goal-driven plot. Sci-fi, supernatural, gaming, systems, cheats, dimensional storage space, revenge... If only it wasn't rife with female objectification, lol, it can get annoying. Good thing that female authors jumped on the bandwagon, so now we can get some diversity in genres. I really, really can't stand drama and melodrama.

As for synopses, the perfect one to me would be a few sentences introducing the main character, the setting and the objective. Maybe the love interest, but it's not a high priority. Just enough to make my mind whether I'd be interested. For example this synopsis is my taste: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/epiphanies-of-rebirth/ or https://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-slight-smile-is-very-charming/ or https://www.novelupdates.com/series/reincarnator/... You get it. I'm not sure whether it classifies as dry, but it's enough to get me intrigued and start reading. :blobReach:

Szara likes this.
  7. darkchocolatesan

darkchocolatesan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Swamp Girl!
    Guy adventurer dies, wakes up in the body of a girl, has identity crisis, has gay panic, and then the plot twist is thrown in, which cues another (final) identity crisis/existential crisis while they slay the bad guy.

Pain, Pain, Go Away
    Guy runs over girl, kills girl. But sike she isn't dead because she can delay her death for a week, and she blackmails guy into helping her get revenge on the people who hurt her during that week before she dies. But sike actually the guy is supposed to be dead five years ago so in the end who is really dead???

Earth is Online
    The world is now a game of games! But if you get eliminated in the game you die for real. The games are hosted by f*cked up fairytale and folktale characters, like Pinocchio, Mario, Santa, and Grandma Wolf (Little Red Riding Hood).

Urban Tales of Demons and Spirits
    Guy starts to encounter the supernatural after going to university, starts helping out an exorcist to handle ghosts and demons and stuff. MC falls in love with the exorcist.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    ludagad likes this.
  8. jlin0888

jlin0888 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
    Roland is an insane screwup. He's also a skeleton. With his magic system he will try to save as many people as he can.

ludagad likes this.
  9. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Founder of Diabolism

A man falls in love with a man.
    Unable to confess, he is gifted with a deus ex machina of his crush's rebirth. Never minding the strange circumstances, he immediately recognises his sweetheart, and is overjoyed to find out that he has possessed a body of a flaming homosexual.
    Hijinks ensue as the two set out on a journey of collecting McGuffins in order to reveal secrets of the past to both those around them and the readers. While the two chase their loved ones, DRAMA ensues, which makes them question the NATURE of LOVE.

You’ve Got Mail: A Cautionary Tale

♪ Lock eyes from across the room
    Down my drink while the rhythms boom
    Take your hand and skip the names
    No need here for the silly games
    A whole night what we've got in store
    Whisper in my ear that you want some more
    And I
    Jizz in my pants ♪

It's perfectly normal, nothing wrong with me
    But we're going to need a cleanup on aisle 3
    And now I'm posed in an awkward stance
    Because I
    Jizzed in my pants ♪

Open my window and a breeze rolls in and I
    Jizz in my pants ♪

I just ate a grape and I
    Jizzed... in... my pants ♪

I went check... ♪
    Jizzed... in... my pants ♪
    Okay, seriously you guys, can we... okay... ♪
    (I jizz in my pants, I jizz in my pants, yes I jizz in my pants, yes I jizz in my pants) ♪

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Szara, Dezel and Fuyuneko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.