Discussion Why machine translation has a very long way to go...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DZ_Spellcaster, Feb 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DZ_Spellcaster

DZ_Spellcaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AliceShiki, Snowbun, Sam7 and 2 others like this.
  2. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    On the plus side it's better than babelfish. Anyone who lived through that horror likely carries the scars.

Snowbun, 0000000 and Geor like this.
  3. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my thought, that's nice but without a GOOD proofreader and editor it will still fry your brain to read it ... why I have more then a few sites and books blocked on my list here ... I did love how Google translated names as he, bet it even does that when the person is a she lol seen that before too ...

Araenn and abewan like this.
  4. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    That is 2018, Google cloud translation already take leap and bounds in the last few years. Its now good enough that people from law and medical circle using it to translate things.

Btw, this is not the google translate for free public use. Last time I checked GCT cost 20 USD / 1m words.

Geor, imK, Snowbun and 2 others like this.
  5. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Google Translate tends to ignore phrases they don't understand, especially slang. Lots of time happened tbh.

6. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Because AI still does not have the capability to actually differentiate proverbs and the unique tone set by some writers. Hell, some human translators also fail to take note and require editors and proofreaders to prevent readers' head from melting.

Vilidious, AliceShiki, Geor and 2 others like this.
  7. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing that Machine translation engines, lose out on, whether its scripted or a deep-learning AI. Is the cultural nuance expressed from the Source Language.

Its like sarcasm, you can't always get it if you read things off a medium.

Same thing with Creole, Pidgin or foreshortening of words. (What is up? = Wazzup, Whatup. etc)

AliceShiki and imK like this.
  8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    probably some ppl said the same in some industries in the past, but the truth is, we now have automated assembly lines, we are having auto drive cars... etc, etc...

9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I still see it as not yet good. Good enough but theres still words it wont translate properly in English and its still japanese in english letters at some point.

10. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, programming languages are a small subset of natural languages and, by Rice's theorem, cannot decide non-trivial semantics.

In other words, the meaning of words is beyond machines and must be programmed by humans.

Ergo, real translation is beyond machines in the first place.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    But law and medical texts are like... Some of the easiest things to translate in the world?

I mean, sure, you need to actually know what their lingo means, but if there is one thing that a computer can do well, is storing the meaning of words, so this is certainly trivial for google translate.

I think the author was talking primarily about text that doesn't deal with objective things specifically, but subjective things.

Google translate can translate law and medical texts because the only requirement to translate those texts is knowing what the words mean... The problem with Machine Translation is when you try to put it together with stuff that require understanding ideas... Such as when metaphors are used, or rhymes, or neologisms or idioms... Yanno, the kind of thing that doesn't revolve around words alone.

Machine Translating Software is wonderful for objective texts, but it's pretty useless for stuff like novels.

chan88, Kuro_0ni and Vilidious like this.
  12. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the same vein, all that Artificial Intelligence, and Intelligent and Learning systems is about is making stochastically "good" decisions according to limited pre-programmed input/scenarios... usually also with limited and preprocessed real world training data (and validation sets).

It's not a silver bullet and it won't replace humans in anything but severely limited cases which don't really require deep/creative thinking in the first place.

Emotional AIs that love you and interact with you like a real creature would?

Have fun collecting data and programming a combinatorial explosion worth of constantly changing, non-deterministic, fixed scenarios.

Not happening with Turing complete automata.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.