I WANNA PLAY XCOM!!! Laptop cooling pad or laptop vacuum fan?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by userunfriendly, Feb 22, 2020.

1. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve got a frankenputer laptop with four i7 cores, and Intel integrated graphics.:blobdizzy:

Now Xcom causes my computer to go into highest pitch fan mode, and it’s pathetic. As I also want to play Master of Orion, next month I’m planning to buy a Laptop vacuum fan or Laptop cooling pad or both.

Do they work? Should I get both? Your stories please.:aww:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    If it’s XCOM 2 WOTC, it’ll never run smooth. That game is just way too intense.

userunfriendly likes this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Never used either but if you use air cooling, you better have air of lower temperature around. If you play in a room full of hot air, the air cooling wouldn't help as much.
    Also clean it from dust and change thermopaste on cpu if you haven't done it in ages

4. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I have one of those on your lap pad laptop fans you plug in to the USb, it worked but it also blew so much dust into the laptop it clogged the pc fan and the air vents faster then normal making it heat up faster in the end

imK, Zomula and userunfriendly like this.
  5. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I have used this when I had a high performing laptop once. >_> https://www.emax.co.nz/index.php?ma...Xwm_5ZTs6opRuh7k0dNWeeKookZeQGhQaAnvWEALw_wcB

It has it's pro's and cons. It definitely kept my laptop cool, but I found it unwieldy as I like having my laptop on my lap. It may work for you?

Now I have a chrome book (pros and cons to that and it's definitely not a gaming machine) and don't need to have a cooking fan when online. >_> I have other gaming machines (laptop, PC and dedicated consoles).... Yeah, we are that type of family. XD

imK and userunfriendly like this.
  6. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    IBM integrated graphics? You meant Intel's? In the first place tho, I don't think any iGPU would offer nice experience for gaming, but if that works for you, then I won't say anything.

Vacuum fan is good, but both is better, if you're able to disregard that the two of your USB slot used for it. But before all of that, try to cleanup your laptop's innard first and make sure the table you're using is free from any dust.

7. Aean

Aean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are really desperate, you could look for LowSpecGamer's videos on Youtube to change the settings and make the game work on bad but playable graphics.

8. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Enemy Within. Yes, my computer sucks.:blobdizzy:

Abox likes this.
  9. DragonJAW

DragonJAW Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be the second one. The first one run quite well on the lowest setting on my school laptop even though it's an ancient laptop with i3 core and no dedicated gpu

10. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link

Intel. Corrected. Yes, that was my analysis too. I plan to do spring cleaning soon anyway. :blob_coughblood:

I did. Epic fail.:mad:

Which is why I suspect Steam.:mad::mad::mad: Luckily, I got Master of Orion on GOG.

11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    You should try lowering the graphics first. That'll probably help since Enemy Within shouldn't be that intensive on the lowest settings.

Laptop cooling pad is better because it allows more airflow for the whole laptop. Vacuum fan is more portable but if you're playing XCOM then you're probably not doing it on the go anyway.

If you want max cooling then use both. Also check where the vents are on your computer because a vacuum fan might not even fit.

12. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    How is that franken? I7 with integrated graphic is as basic as it gets.

13. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume your laptop arent designed for gaming / heavy work. Most casual laptop have bad heat dissipation. Vacuum fan should be better in this case.

14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    there a few things you can do, to shave off a couple degrees of temperatures from your laptop, among them are;

1. remove the the fan and the heatsink, and clean them.
    if you never did this before (removing them), and have only been blowing air/brushing from outside, you'd actually be surprised at the amount of hidden/unreachable dust caught within

2. clean and replace the thermal pad/compound, depending on which one your laptop used. if it use a pad, replace it with a pad, not with a compound. this is actually harder than the previous (no.1) step, as you could risk breaking the heatpipe, should something go wrong. even though there's probably a lot of dissassembly videos spesific for your laptop model on the net, it is still quite risky

3. buy some small rubber feet form diy/hardware store and stick them under your laptop to increase the clearance it had from the ground/table. this should help the airflow quite a bit. even if you use a cooling pad, extra clearance between the laptop's base and the cooling pad should still be beneficial.

4. mechanical harddrive is also one of main contributor to the increase heat build-up inside your laptop's chassis. therefore, if the budget allows, you should get it replaced with an ssd. if your laptop have optical drive, removing them of temporarily could also help shave of some heat. some of older optical drive continues using power and outputting heat even when not in use.

15. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a frankenputer you need to go all the way I think I heard of a system that was cool by beer but I wouldn't count on it speeding up your system (probably would do the opposite) and it would probably get temperamental and ornery while complain non-stop. lol

16. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Quad core.:rolleyes: I originally bought it to run multiple virtual machines.:p

I did. I even edited xcomengine.ini.:mad: I am beginning to suspect Steam.:mad:

4: it did run cooler with an SSD...until the drive went belly up and puked all over the EDSI starter partition.:mad:

3: I’m currently running on a mesh tilting base. Good airflow.

2: I would do that...however, I’ve discovered that after my brain surgery my depth perception and fine vision is trash. I can’t be trusted to do my own computer maintenance.:cry:

1: As part of spring cleaning, I’m replacing the bag on my vacuum, for max suction, and using it on my laptop vents. I do that every now and then, and it does a good job.:D

As mentioned, it is a frankenputer. Quad i7 cores, with integrated graphics. I was going to run virtual machines...plus HP had it on sale.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  17. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a desperate thing to do, but I agree. Then it makes you want it upgrade your machine. >_>

18. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve tried it, even edited xcomengine.ini file.:mad:

With quad i7 cores, I shouldn’t need to.:eek:

19. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    ...that runs fine on my MacBook Air....
    *pat pat*
    RIP userunfriendly’s laptop

20. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link

Worst comes to worst, I have my Xbox one. It does a fine job...but I can’t cheat.:p:D:rolleyes:

ive been editing the configuration...giving my assaults HEAT ammo, and snipers...configuring their perks the way I want to. o_O

Abox likes this.