Discussion why do people enjoy this type of novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Darkcrow., Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    I am talking about Virtual Game genre.
    I just wanted to know the things you guys enjoy while reading this type of novels.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    welcome the novel, Sa76 and Loni4ever like this.
  2. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's see, everything else but the virtual game theme, I guess.

It's like a sadder version of isekai genre.

But hey, better than running out of stuff to read.

GDLiZy, Dezel, Araenn and 11 others like this.
  3. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's isekai without the help of truck kun

Rumby and 25th bamm like this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll never understand. For me novels here are about living vicariously through the MC. But VR itself is a second-hand enjoyment for the protag, making it feel even more removed from me, diminishing my involvement and, by extension, my gratification. I mean, where's the thrill when the MC never gets into any real danger (the fact that he'll never die b4 the end of the novel is another question altogether)?

kenar, 0000000, SleepyTexan and 9 others like this.
  5. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't. Never gets into it.

Darkcrow. and otaku31 like this.
  6. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same never really enjoy vmmorpg or gaming novels. It already gives feeling that whatever novel world/game/story are bullshit and fake and no proper world. Cant immerse in novels.

Araenn and otaku31 like this.
  7. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much info dump, stats, equipment. the damage dealt or taken takes up half the chapter

8. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't but I guess that these novels are targeted at gamers, finding a common ground to attract them.

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it depends on how the game is treated. If it's basically seen as an isekai-like thingy that the entirety of the novel revolves around it and how the character gets deep into it, yet never gets into any real danger... Then I might not like it much.

If on the other hand the author tries to play with game/reality boundaries, it can become quite interesting to see how things go, seeing how much people can care about one another while divided by a computer screen can be quite fun. Especially if it starts dealing with people falling in love with one another, but being worried about the issues of not knowing each other outside the game and what not. Netojuu no Susume does this really well, for example.

Another thing that can be fun is when the author locks a character inside the game. Stuff like .hack//sign or SAO, because now the game is essentially and isekai, and the character has to deal with that while wanting to go back home and stuff, it's pretty interesting for sure. In .hack it was particularly fun because only Tsukasa was locked there, so she also had to deal with the fact everyone was able to return home and she wasn't, which made everything worse... It was very interesting.

And another type that I can like is when the author treats the game as a game. As in, makes a properly balanced environment without broken cheats and nonsensical balance that would never exist in a real game and what not. And then the author treats the story as what would happen in... Well, a game. People there are playing to have fun and enjoy some time with their friends and get involved in a guild and what not... And maybe even get some money on the top guilds.
    It can get pretty nice when you see how much people can show their worst in the internet, and then come to regret it later after years pass and they realize that they can actually hurt others by being assholes online. Or showing stuff like how some people care so much about their own fun that they don't mind ruining other people's fun... And what kind of consequences that can bring and stuff.
    ... In all honesty I only found one Webtoon that did this one well though, so shameless advertisement for anyone that wanna give it a shot: https://www.lezhin.com/en/comic/rpgcomic

Those are the kinds I like at least.

25th bamm, mir, Saikyi and 9 others like this.
  10. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't really read many vrmmorpg novels but you see, sword art online was one of the first anime i have watched and i loved it no matter what others said. And well i don't really enjoy other novels of the same genre but i still have read 2 other vrmmo novels - rebirth of the thief who roamed the world and the other was shura's wrath. The first one i liked while the second one was below average at best.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the nonbiri, fantasy, action aspect.

12. IndusEla

IndusEla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only element I enjoy about it is when the identity of the protag is revealed or the others have an offline meeting, something about it just fascinates me. Otherwise, nothing is really interesting because you know the protagonist isn't going to be in danger.

Dezel, kenar, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because I love to play games. But I don't read them anymore now because they got too saturated already and there's nothing more they can offer.

14. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do people enjoy gender bender and gay novels? Probably same reason as why they enjoy other novels. Its peoples preference, i prefer anti hero because i hate hero harem bs. So long as the hero is ruthless i like that. We all have different tastes. Different people like different things, what you dont like someone might love, its just the way it is.

mir and Himawari like this.
  15. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont understand why you need to understand it. If you dont like it, dont read it and forget about it. If you like it, read it and give good review. Only that. For me

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    when it was pop up back then ... put aside SAO, it bring memories about gamer stuff for this cat~ well you have no story about video game that time so VRMMORPG is the best bet~ as time pass kinda boring~
    these day I don't mind about VR thing~
    .hack series story have mmore detail on game series so yeah kinda work~ it also pop up some LN for background story~ oh well G.U did good thing~ as for the original .hack~ kinda forget hmm the anime just so so imo~
    anyway that the reason for me SAO is let down~ SAo anime seem more romance? as for LN let say just not my cup of tea..... blame hack//G.U

17. Zettai Ryouiki

Zettai Ryouiki [V] H [Y]'s [♙] - "It's complicated."

Reading List:
    Link
    It's psychological thing, accumulation desire and loss aversion. Our brains are wired to dislike loses and, conversely, give us strong desire for incremental accumulation. What it offers is a safe investment. A reader usually get invested in the main character through which they see the world they read into. And this type of novel took advantage of our desire by describing the story progression with easy to understand numbers. Slip in false adversaries to compare the number our investment had with, and it's an easy hookup.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  18. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly I detest VR novels, probably because some CN and KR novels like to sell how a ex military/ assassin/ martial artist can fucking break the game with their life experience. Then there is some that is shitting me with how the VR can make people superhuman cuz they gain experience through the VR. The former is basically how the author wants their MC to cheat in the world while the latter may have some basics, but mostly it is just fucking with me, I AM LOOKING AT YOU FUCKING SWORD GOD.

Then there is the eternal irritation of how the VR world affects RL economy, I know this is most gamer geeks wet dreams as pro gamer, but please, fuck off.

GDLiZy, mir, Maddy and 3 others like this.
  19. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a big fan of the genera in general, but there are 2 types I like:

Lighthearted one's where they treat it as just a game with likeable and interesting characters like Only Sense Online. Those are basically slice-of-life novels that just revolve around a game. Weirdly I normally don't like slice of life genera, only the game variant. Probably because I didn't grow up in Japan so I have trouble relating to that stuff, but I have played lots of games so...

The other kind I like is where the gamer is an invalid in real life. In those it actually makes sense for the MC to treat the game so seriously because it is his life in a way.

20. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, VR games seems to be similar to KR novels like Everyone Else is Returnee and other Dungeon type novels. Due to the stats, growth of MC is visible.
    Also my first VR novel Legendary Moonlight Sculptor made a very good impression towards this genre.
    VR novels show growth of MC in both Game world and Real world. Overgeared is a very good example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.