Question Anyone have a more wuxia way of translating 俠客?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by emiliers, Feb 23, 2020.

1. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone have a more wuxia way of translating 俠客/俠士/遊俠? I know the most accurate translation is "knight-errant", but it looks extremely out of place in a wuxia translation. I also tried just using martial hero, but then the story actually differentiated 俠客 from 英雄, and so in an effort to prevent confusion, I'm trying to think of another translation. I considered "wandering vigilante", the literal meaning, but I'm not super fond of the connotations behind vigilante. Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    from what you are describing it appears to be a warrior without a master so try:
    ronin
    sellsword
    stray figther
    ex-[previous position knight/guard]

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ronin would sound cool if it wasn't for the fact it's Japanese and the story is Chinese. :blobReach:
    Also how fitting that there's a Wiki for it when I searched for 'wandering vigilante': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youxia

Wandering Swordsman sounds fine, though not sure if it's the best.

4. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Loose cultivator, bwahahahaha

adrasteia11471 likes this.
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    遊俠 is the "Ranger" DND class in western fantasy novels, but idk about a wuxia novel

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)The lewd kind?

White Head Ice Prince likes this.
  7. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Pugilist

8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with terms like ronin and sell-sword is that they come with negative connotations that 遊俠 and 俠客 do not have. Technically 俠客 are something like the wandering adventurers in iskei novels so if I were forced to make a translation fit, I'd try "wandering heroes/wandering swordsman" if you want to fit by word meaning or "adventurers" if you want to translate by concept.

But above all, remember to footnote at the bottom, people will understand why you made the choice if you added a footnote.

Just please don't translate it seriously out of context by calling them a "Brave" or a "Braver". In English, a Brave is a low ranking warrior, due to American historical influences.

Not too correct, the Ranger in D&D is basically an archer, 遊俠 when translated means "wandering swordsman" which is what a person does rather than what he uses as a weapon. A ranger can be a 遊俠, but inversely, so can a swordsman/fighter, so it's not a job description but a behavior description.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Fuyuneko and Astaroth like this.
  9. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A pugilist is a boxer/one that fights using fists. Youxia doesn’t necessarily do that.

10. daggerincoat

daggerincoat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "wandering heroes" seem more fitting after all 俠 literal mean is use power to do good
    edited: it kind of hard to describe "客" because the best word in English for this is "guest". not belong to this place not own it. so I think "wandering" fit best

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Astaroth likes this.
  11. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    wandering cultivator? roaming?

12. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but he seems to have redirected all his calls to voicemail. Oh, you mean the translation...

:whistle::p

13. bromnath

bromnath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vagabond or Lone Cultivator. Capture the intent vs technical correctness. Vagabond is more heroic than vagrant, and the feel of a free man roaming between areas. It's used frequently enough to imply more than just a hobo, and you don't really have at explicitly state that everyone is a cultivator/warrior.

Loose/rogue cultivator are used pretty often but they invoke the idea of cast-offs, rejects, bandits, more than the feelings of freedom, romance, and wanderlust. I find Lone Cultivator to be better in that case.

14. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

And, yeah, "wandering hero" is probably the closest in terms of meaning to what I'm looking for, but as I mentioned in the OP, the author also uses 英雄 (generic "hero") to refer to folks from Jianghu who aren't necessarily 俠客, so I didn't want there to be any confusion between the two. Though keeping the heroism connotation of the word is important since one of the side characters is said to be a 俠客 who's well-respected in both Jianghu and the secular world because of his deeds.

This is one of those times where I was really tempted to just use pinyin, but the author actually uses 俠客 and 俠士 interchangeably, so that was a no-go.

At this point, I'm leaning towards either wandering swordsman or adventurer. Probably the latter since there's a 劍客 (which I translated as "swordsman") in the story who is adamantly not heroic so I wouldn't want there to be any confusion between 俠客 and 劍客.

If anyone has any other ideas, please chime in! I'd love to hear more suggestions!

15. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    chivalrous adventurer?

16. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    seems you never read a book but online novel, in the old days they used to be called Pugilistic World aka Jianghu (WN) aka Rivers and Lakes (literal)

Saikyi likes this.
  17. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Does everyone there fight with pugil sticks? :p

18. xiaofuxiansheng

xiaofuxiansheng Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The battle righteousness +untrammeled+principled+Play fair

19. JaketheDog

JaketheDog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will say it depends on the style you will like the translation to be, i think a simple term wanderer should suffice

20. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    What an uncultured unliterate pig