Discussion Novels you hate

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Darkcrow., Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    The charm of soul pets
    Against the gods
    Sovereign of the three realms
    Zi Tian ji (?)
    Record of a mortals journey to immortality

There are definitely more but I either dropped them so long ago I can't remember them or just having a brain fart.

otaku31 and Darkcrow. like this.
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't feel like going through my pile of dropped novels. I'll just tell you the type: you have a useless and brainless female MC who somehow gets tricked into sleeping with the ML (or is raped by him), ends up relying on him for the rest of her life, while in the meantime suffering abuse, a few miscarriages, psychotic love rivals, attempts on her life, amnesia, kidnapped baby, etc. But it's all 'fine' in the end because the ML apologizes to her and she's finally earned his 'love'. I call those CEO romances for short. As for harems, polygamy, or yuri, those are more like novels I don't read than novels I hate. Others who read them can be the judge.

imK, Toralk, Araenn and 2 others like this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    All the 1000+ novels in my list of stuff I won't ever read~

... Not because I read them, mind you, it's because I hate the premise~

Darkcrow. likes this.
  4. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind the Chinese ones. It's the looped content that turns me off. Just finish the story if you can't stop repeating yourself. "Wicked young master hates MC over vanity and bad assumptions and ultimately becomes a stepping stone of MC, wash, rinse, repeat... again...." for 5,000+ chapters.

I should know better, when I spot 'BL/Yaoi' in the list, but really any story that ambushes me with any kind of sexualization get on my nerves, and I usually drop them. Often the story was really well written and stood on its own without the 'sexy time', and then they switch to focusing whole chapters on 'intimacy' (smut). If they can leave the 'intimacy' behind closed doors (in private), it's all good, and I don't mind the same-sex partners in the story at all. Whatever happened to the 'old fashioned' story telling style of hinting at it and leaving the details to your imagination, if you want to 'imagine'? It still exists in many of these stories.

Ha-Ha and Nimroth like this.
  5. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree on the smut, I don't mind stories having some of it, but it is really annoying to read something that has more smut than plot.

Araenn and EvilChuuniCatEars like this.
  6. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer when BL stories have smut, cause I got so freaking tired of the purity culture around anime/manga. You don't have to read the spicy bits if you don't like them.

7. EvilChuuniCatEars

EvilChuuniCatEars Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We can't all hate and like the same things.

I mean, heck, some people like anchovies, but they have already turned the whole pizza into a salt lick. Picking them off doesn't make it any 'better', especially when you find more hidden under the cheese.

8. Dezel

Dezel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently:
    Fields of Gold

I liked it at the start, but as it went on the cartoonishly way in which every relative outside of the MC's main family was painted as a bad person really got tiring.

imK and theilikepie like this.
  9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well thats a reason I really never liked cultivation or anything with xianxia, wuxia and the other one. I read some cat novel MC in chinese and its fucking great seeing no rinse repeat story. Plus i dont want to sit on 5000+ chapters. A few hundred to a thousand is good already.

I like smut time but I dont want to read something like dongs and ramming scenes. I can accept if one is trap-like but full grown men is a big no-no.

10. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy, my list is pretty long but im gonna put the main ones:
    • The Legendary Mechanic
    • The Devil's Cage
    • Release that Witch
    • Soul Land's Ultimate Fighting
    • My House of Horrors
    • Library of Heaven's Path
    • Forty Millenniums of Cultivation
    • The Second Coming of Gluttony
    • Renegate Immortal
    • True Martial World

otaku31 likes this.
  11. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm tired of all the stories that follow the same cliche, general plotlines within the 'Romance' genre. Especially the ones with female MCs in an Ancient setting. They usually follow one of two plotlines:
    • Genius doctor/assassin transmigrates into the body of some cowardly rich girl, who is bullied by her scheming stepmother & half sister. She takes revenge and amazes everyone with her skills, attracting the attention of some prince blahblah
    • Powerful woman is betrayed by her husband, who leaves her for another woman. After dying a tragic death, she is reborn into the past.
    There are hundreds of these stories being churned out. Modern settings will usually involve CEOs & the Entertainment industry. Korean novels are all "I transmigrated into a book and became the villainess" blahblah.

I was just hoping for some more... originality.

I appreciate the work the translators have put in, and I'm not really in a position to complain or anything since I'm not paying for this stuff, but it's one of the reasons I stopped reading straight romance. At least with the fujoshi's, they write crazy new shit sometimes lol.

Dezel and Ha-Ha like this.
  12. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand the other OP, it's not just about smut alone. A lot of the translated yaoi had not just a lot of smutty chapters (alright I can abide with that.) But after those chapters, you get tropes upon layer of tropes.

I think that's why novels like Fei Tian Ye Xiang, Priest and MXTX's are quite popular? I've been reading Dinghai Fusheng Records and there's no smut so far. Sha Po Lang is focused on the politics and the plot is unique. MXTX is said to be a fujo, but it didn't hinder her plot writing. SVSS didnt have action until chapter 90? And it was only one. MDZS had two, and it wasn't until after 100+ chapters and didnt cover the entirety of their respective chapters. TGCF has none.

There's Meatbun who had a lot of smut, but the plot outside them had a decent world building and awesome battle scenes. It doesn't have to be super original, but it should at least be engaging and doesnt focus on aspects that doesn't help the plot much.

Ha-Ha and Nimroth like this.
  13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of the novels in my Stopped list.
    And everthing in the harem tag
    Not hate, but dislike novels with 500 and more chapters

14. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
    Which ones TGCF ?

15. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Ha-Ha likes this.
  16. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those novels with female MCs that being treated by her family members like sh*t. Oh boy, those will make you cough blood from frustration.

Novels with male MCs who doesn't like to talk, no sense of humor and doesn't flirt.

Novels where the MC wakes up with a super duper OP abilities, but the MC goes with "Oh boy! Better hide my skills and act like an average cuck".

Overrated novels because they aren't repetitive nor cliche... but guess what it's so fvcking boring. I'd rather read repetitive Xianxia than read myself to sleep.

I'm not gonna name the titles anymore since you probably have your own different experience with these kind of novels.

Toralk likes this.
  17. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
  18. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Can Tate No Yuusha No Nariagaria/ Uprising Shield Hero be one of them?? That Novel is probably the one that's made me the most raged quit..

Huh? The blue mage is yaoi? I thought there was a girl heroine though? TNE was good at first till you realize the novel had nothing planned and ruined a good story.

Toralk likes this.
  19. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised by your list since those received such high ratings. Renage Immortal was one of the best novel's I've read, but I don't understand why the Author ruins it after a few hundred chapters. I honestly had to force myself to keep reading so I can read I shall seal heavens.

20. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Yaoi one was The Nothing Mage. It had potential but the MC was just so shit and acts like an emotional 14 yr old white girl. The premise of a radiation mage was interesting but the author ruined its potential by writing a wimpy MC that became gay for no reason(he fucked a girl ffs and you have to make him fucking gay how bipolar can the author be!)
    Blue Mage wasn't funny or entertaining. It is basically the same OP slice of life bullshit I grew tired seeing
    TNE's author is already known to fuck up his stories midway since A Monster Who Levels Up. Great start, above average middle, and shit ending.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.