Alternative Protagonists

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 89812, Jan 30, 2020.

?

How long have you been reading webnovels for?

1. < 1 Year

2. < 1-3 Years

3. < 5-7 Years

4. < For a really long time

5. The forgotten 4th year...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Skip this wall of text and go straight to the recommendations if you want.

Hello fellow nuffians. You may or may not have seen me around the forums, and you may know my interests. I have searched far and wide over the internet for novels and entertainment that satisfy my wants. Before I started reading novels, I would watch anime and read manga that challenges my current worldview, I would watch and read the grim-dark stuff. I would ponder on what I've seen and be shocked. I would read posts and articles on some more of the controversial stuff that I have seen. And I would like it, I like seeing whatever grim things authors and writers would cook up for their shows and comics. You probably would've compared me to an edgy teenager (I was one for a time). However, I've gotten tired seeing the same old tropes, the same plots, the same setting, the same characters, and the same protagonists over, and over again. I needed an out. So I went on Baka-Updates and searched for ruthless characters. I came upon things that I've read already, and things that were not what I was looking for.

Soon though I came upon a (which before I was just a connoisseur of manga, and anime) novel named Dragon-Marked War God. Within the beginning chapters my current worldview on what I like to consume was crushed. I read about a protagonist who castrated someone just for annoying him. He crushed that person like a bug. Now I have not watched (or read) entertainment where the MC would take such drastic measures for what we as normal people who live in the real world would consider unnecessary. I was shocked, and I felt a certain satisfaction when I read that scene.

Now I simply wanted more, so after that novel I read the next one and so on and so on. Eventually I got so tired of reading edgy, and just plain monotonous story lines. So I went to JP novels, I was not satisfied with a majority of them (at the time), because the protagonists took actions that I find inane and irritating. Then I came upon gold named Dungeon Defense. It elevated my preferences to a new level (which I'm glad for). Some time after that, I wanted protagonist that behaved a certain way, and took actions which would please me.

So, I started another search for evil protagonists (which took months), and that were good. I have seen countless posts about other people like me who want the same thing. I found threads which had some of the things that I was looking for, and I found stories that satisfied my itch. However, I see that alternative protagonists were simply not as mainstream as others. I want to change that by making threads like these and bring more people to the "dark side". So here are my recommendations on stories that have alternative protagonists.

Novels
    Webnovel
    You can find these stories on webnovel.com. Not all of these stories have evil protagonists, but all of them are entertaining to read.

Not novels but Fan Fiction on fanfiction.net

Novel Updates
    Royal Road
    Spacebattles
    Like before these are not all evil, but they are alternative protagonists.
    CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure)
    Choice Of Games
    You can find these games on the app store and google play, I highly recommend these, you are the alternative protagonist in these stories.

Choose Your Story
    Like before these are not strictly evil. You choose how the story plays out. Warning! You will die if you're not making wise decisions. Also you can find these stories on http://chooseyourstory.com/

Amazon
    These cost money but are relatively cheap (about $5 US)

P.S: Some of these may be repeated

Also if you're willing, share to the community, tell us how your journey of finding what you want was like!

p.p.s: also if you want to share your own recommendations that would be cool too.

Edit: Added Royal Road
    Edit#2: Added Some Fanfiction
    Edit#3: Added Amazon Section & another CYOA book
    Edit#4: Added Some more Webnovel Stories, Fanfiction, Royal Road Stories, and another Amazon Book, Also some Grammar Edits
    Edit#5: Added even more Fanfiction! All of them are Hyperlinked!!
    Edit#6: Small updates to almost every category
    Edit#7: ADDED LINKS TO EVERYTHING
    Edit#8: Added a special fanfic! Go check it out!

Edit#9: Another minuscule update
    Edit#10: Added Spacebattles Section & another CYOA book

2. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I think "evil protagonist" or alternative protagonist's are very mainstream. The majority of all CN novels have those characters as protagonists.

The issue i have though, is that the CN MC's mindset becomes a bore after a few chapters.

"We live in a dog eat dog world, thats why i can kill people. Because muh muscles isu bigu!"

Their only character development amounts to them realizing that they live in a "dog eat dog" world.

It just becomes boring to read someone kill everyone and shout at everyone that he doesn't like.

The majority of the novels linked are very popular, btw. I wouldn't call them alternative protagonists. Just novels with MC's that are one braincell higher than ordinary CN MC's.

nanasi-san, aattss, mir and 9 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that "evil protagonists" are becoming more mainstream. But, the ones that occupy this list are of a different breed (they're realistic). I also agree that most CN is "edgy" garbage, that's why I want to show people that there is hope for a realistically evil protagonist. That's why I refer to them as alternative, it's because the stories on here are the 1% compared to the mainstream garbage that claims to be ruthless.

SilverFeather and sungjinwoo like this.
  4. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't go as to call it realistic. And being in the 1% doesn't equate to being in a whole other category. But, i will say this, those linked novels are way better than the other shit on this site. And yet again, they more or less follow the ssme tropes and world building traits of all those shitty novels that came before them. Nothing, other than better MC's and toned down brutality, really differentiates them with others.

naruchist and AMissingLinguist like this.
  5. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    *Bump
    I would like to know your thoughts and feedback guys!

6. Tim432

Tim432 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks good list how found couple new works, how do you find good works on fanfiction.net though? It's search engine is garbage.
    Of course they will follow same troopers and worldbuilding, because you searched for it like that. If you search for cultivation world's then you gonna get cultivation works with the worldbuilding and the troopes associated with the genre, how can you say it's the same if that's what you searched for? Of course you didn't say you searched just for cultivation, I'm just providing an example. It's like saying "all books are more or less same, all of them follow the same troopes and worldbuilding, all of them have gravity, dirt and stones, just different characters"
    Also important distinction no good works follow the shitty works, and I repeat no GOOD fiction follows BAD fiction, it's the opposite shitty works follow the troopes of good works, only other shitty books copy other shitty books. Only good fiction creates troopes other good fiction follows, no one copies traits of a shitty book because it's shitty, and if you do copy, you get a shitty book.
    Ofc the works the op provided are not realistic, fiction got magic, how realistic can that be? But they are as realistic as books are, no fiction can be perfectly realistic, but good fiction has rules that it follows and characters have at least somewhat realistic motivations and depth.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. Fooljastic

Fooljastic Truly Foolish

Reading List:
    Link
    I just found this.... man you are a "hero". I found a few stories i didnt know about yet i have to try now, especially in the fanfiction department.
    Though all novelupdates are things i already know. But I am not sad i found like 3 new fanfictions i gotta try.

Honestly I found my interest in Magic and villainous characters trough Coiling Dragon. Trough coiling dragon i started liking magic in stories more than i did before, i obviously had read harry potter and some similar books before, but this was the first story that did magic well... or so i thought. Till it was forgotten. Goddamn it.... ruined coiling dragon for me.

Well than I was in the whole thing with CN stories and consumed trash for like half a year before i got bored of it... then i started looking further. Games, stories and the like. I wasn't very successfull at first, given that my english was pretty much garbage, but thanks to it and youtube i learned how to get my english to an acceptable level (and google translate for words) and then a few years ago i could really get started. Naturally i still consume a lot of "trash" since i am not very picky as long as it contains things like "magician MC" (Altough i often get bored fast from trash like that.... so yeah.) or a "villainous MC" i gotta try it. Your list however seems very interesting and given the novelupdates lineup and that i have had several endings of eternal i have to say that i have to try several of the fanfictions. (I knew "I am lord Voldemort?" before though sadly)

Still thanks man.

Also I had like to add from webfictionguide.com:

A practical guide to evil, do wrong right
    https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/

Basically its a story about a female "knight" on how to break the story. I have.... abandoned it myself due to certain events i had liked to not transpire, but still its a refreshing MC that is trying to play the plot, especially since the "plot" is somewhat known to the characters as they live in a world where the story decided the outcome most of the time.

Worm:
    https://parahumans.wordpress.com/

She is very much trying to be a hero... but circumstances and a fucked up world make that very hard for her. She, for most the story, can only control bugs. And her attempts, that fail most the time, at being a hero are amusing.

And lastly a story i have been recommended for it apparently being a "fresh take on monsters" that is supposed to be a villain, i haven't read it yet so i haven't confirmed that so take it with a grain of salt:

Everybody loves large chests:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/8894/everybody-loves-large-chests

Also some honorable mentions for being different than standard stories:
    Legend of the Sun Knight

He is everything a sun knight shouldn't be..... and also the d- oh nevermind i cant spoil that or he will silence me ;)
    But he is a closet villain.... xD

Mother of learning:
    https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/1/Mother-of-Learning

The MC stumbles into a time loop and the story is rather unique... he is no villain by any means, but the story hasn't been tried often and much less completed. Nevermind this amazingly. A must read.

Well have a nice day!

8. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    Okie dokie. Since I feel like it, I'll give some more of my thoughts on the CYOA's.

1. War for the West. Low fantasy game, where you play as a noble. This comes with managing your territory, dealing with your subjects, and schemes (that span the entire world).

2. Crème de la Crème. Set in the 1900's of another world. You also play as a noble but a disgraced one. You must regain your family's status by going to a prestigious school for nobles like yourself. This comes with schemes, plots, romance (if you choose), and mystery.

3. Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven. Set in an Apocalyptic setting. You play as a person just trying to find their way in this cruel world. You can choose between different professions ( like doctor, soldier, actor, etc.) In order to give yourself necessary skills in order to survive. Naturally since this is set during the breakdown of society and natural order. Morals can be a thing of the past (if you so choose).

4. Fallen Hero. Set in modern day alternative earth. You play as hero that was long forgotten, with traumatic past experiences. You want revenge, justice (not the generic one), and relevance. And you will get it at any cost, become a scheming bastard in this epic, with plans so big you can't fail (If you play it smart).

Nagisa11 likes this.
  9. Aindorin

Aindorin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    İs't that a do/don't list. İs there a novel called the evil overlord list?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  10. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it's a harry potter fanfic, with Tom Riddle as the protagonist.

11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Evil protagonist? Dexter Morgan defined that for me. Killing scum and helping society out. He's not doing it for a noble purpose, but because he enjoys the killing. I was rooting for him all the way. Walter White came close to compare. That dude from House of Cards too. But I still liked Dexter, while the others had only my curiosity. As for novels, guess I haven't read enough, but haven't found quite the right feeling yet. From manga titles - Shamo has an evil protagonist. Um, can't think of any redeeming qualities for him, but I somehow want to see him escape the darkness he's created for himself.
    [​IMG]

12. purpleeee

purpleeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do any of these consist of a female protagonist? The only one that I recognise from this list that does is rotten rowan.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest reading Suzy's Strange Saga. Made by the same guy who wrote Eternal.

15. Agent4007

Agent4007 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like you mentioned, they are not all evil, and the ones which are, I've already read them. But cheers for creating a list about it for future reference.
    It would be awesome if you could update the list?

16. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    I update when I find worthy fics to put on the list. You probably read this one already but I'll rec it to you anyway. It's called "Play The Game Differently" on fanfiction.net. It is a female protagonist that is 100% evil. Conceptions on friendships mean nothing for her. People are tools to be used that's it.

17. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    my, don't forget saber of infinity and guns of infinity at choices of games! you play as a recruit of a dragoon army in the mid-1600-ish fantasy world, and you can play as a cold-hearted, ruthless, and brutal MC too.

Exalted and (deleted member) like this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehee, I learned it with Lys sensei~ :blobsmilehappyeyes:

20. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out some of my new recs on the list!

nanasi-san and Klazy Labbit like this.