Discussion Can you think of any novel where a female MC has a daughter?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fuyuneko, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you think of any novel where a female MC has a daughter as her only child?

I've been reading a lot of transmigration childcare novels, and I noticed that in almost every single novel, the MC has a son or will give birth to a son. For novels where the MC has two children, the MC might have a son and daughter, but even then, the son gets disproportionate screen time. Just curious to see what other readers' experiences are. And if that is true, I wonder why authors do that. On the other hand, is the inverse true, when the MC is a guy in a childcare novel, he's more likely to have a daughter instead of a son?

The only novel where female MC has a daughter as the only child that I can think of is
    Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao, but that's at the very end of the novel and we only get to see her daughter as a baby

Edited to add: There's also this one. I’m Only a Stepmother, but My Daughter is Just so Cute!

This question occurred to me reading a webnovel. In that novel, the MC was building up a tribe in a primitive era (where most women are just property of men) and he was thinking that he needs to establish a society where women have equal rights to men because he doesn't know if his future child will be a son and daughter. And, if he has a daughter, he doesn't her want to suffer in this world. But then, later on, he has two son and this plot point is completely forgotten. Bah.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Nekura, imK and Yukari_me like this.
  2. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If the author wants the MC to be more protective, they usually have a daughter. Works both genders, especially with adopted children.
    Frankly, in those types of novels, daughters are way more overrepresented.

otaku31 and Fuyuneko like this.
  4. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Most childcare novels with female MCs are Chinese. Chinese values regarding having sons vs. daughters will blow your mind.

Wujigege, Araenn, Lovina and 2 others like this.
  5. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Which language are you thinking of? I feel daughters are overrepresented in Japanese novels and underrepresented in Chinese novels.

There's also plenty of female MCs transmigrated into young children in Chinese and Korean novels, but that's not what I'm thinking of it. In those novels, it's just an endless parade for the MC. Ironically, when an adult MC transmigrates into a child, sooner or later, the MC will start thinking like a child, but when there's an ACTUAL child (MC's son for example), they'll be extremely precocious and act like adults.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  6. BGa9

BGa9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zombie sister strategy is a female Mc who has a female child but not a standard childcare story

7. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Mistaken Marriage Match sequels I believe. I started reading the pirate one but got a bit bored, from what it seemed all three sisters gave birth to girls and only girls.

Priceless Baby’s Super Daddy is another. But I can only think of these ones. They are mostly stories with sons - although I read Chinese Josei ones more, that might be the reason for it from my view.

Dizaster, Yukari_me and Fuyuneko like this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just easier to make interesting storytelling like that tbh.

Like... If a man was a "playboy" in his early years, he knows all the "evil things" that men can do to women, so he'll try protecting his daughter from all the things that he did to girls when he was her age.
    OTOH, if a woman was born in a more conservative household and then has a lot of very rigid morals, only to then see her son being super extroverted and not having much concern to the way she thinks is right to do things, she'll be conflicted and unable to deal with the way her son is growing up in a different way that she wanted him to and getting further from her as well.

Those are just two examples, but you get the idea.
    And of course, you can make very good storytelling with children with the same gender as the parent, but it's easier to rely on established tropes than to think I guess.

lazykitty_99 and Fuyuneko like this.
  9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say that it makes for more interesting storytelling, but I would probably agree that it is easier.
    If it is a setting where males are dominant then it might leave an easier way out for the author if either the mc or one of the kids are male, whereas if it is a female mc with just a daughter then it might be more of an uphill struggle.

lazykitty_99, AliceShiki and Fuyuneko like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmm, maybe my choice of terms wasn't the best, because like... Childraising is such a complex topic that I think almost any story that revolves on it will be most likely very interesting.

I guess it's just easier to write it in general if you rely on those types of conflicts happening.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  11. cosmicpeach

cosmicpeach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My recommendation for good Female MC + Child:
    1. The CEO's Villainess Childhood Friend (FMC + Son)
    2. She Become Sweet and Cuddly (FMC + Son)
    3. Transmigration: Raising the Child of the Male Lead Boss (FMC + I forgot)

And it's true, usually the MC got a Son rather than Daughter.

If you want a FMC with a Son + Daughter I recommend you to read The Villain and The Cannon Fodder's Mother. This novel is a nice read but I eventually dropped this novel tho~
    MC (mother) more showering her love to the Son rather than the Daughter (in my eyes, she is just an extra), but I think this is just for the sake of the plot! Since ML is the Uncle of the future ML (her son's future enemy). The MC couldn't understand how her son's feels at all. She doesn't know that her son is jealous of MC's attention towards the Future MC. It's annoying to read. I FEEL SO BAD FOR HER SON. The Author think she/he did a great job for portraying the MC as a good Mother but no, the Author failed

If you want to read novel about a daughter, then you can find a lot of Korean novel with the daughter (herself) as the FMC.

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, China is suffering from a shortage of females for a reason.
    With all the BL dramas, we are getting even fewer female characters in the mainstream.
    Inclusivity is cool and all but with females getting marginalized it seems counterproductive.

Imagine a BL novel about a couple raising a son. No female characters whatsoever

Then again, women have been conditioned to see other women as enemies so it is cultural

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    lazykitty_99, Nekura and Fuyuneko like this.
  13. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the author intended the son's annoyance and jealousy for comedic effect. That's what I think anyways. I'm curious how other readers will feel once the translation gets to that part.

14. cosmicpeach

cosmicpeach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh... I can't feel the comedic elements at all. I was hoping for a brotherly-like-friendship but....yeah nevermind :blobpensive:

15. Sonneillor

Sonneillor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are looking for a paternal novel I recommend Godly Stay-Home Dad, practically the father-daughter relationship is the plot of the whole novel.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  16. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is because transmigration are mainly in ancient chinese with harem setting. Giving birth for a male is seen as a sign of assurance /victory for the MC so the author could move the plot. There are a few case where the FMC get a female baby (The Promotion Record of A Crown Princess) first, but even the MC knows that it would be better for her to have female baby at that time. Either that, or the baby will be used to create more drama.

Nimroth, AliceShiki and Fuyuneko like this.
  17. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I started about 20 or so modern day transmigration novels, and so far, I've only seen one novel where MC has a daughter (in the situation when MC only has one child). But, that's still a small sample size.

stumblmer and Shio like this.
  18. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Foster child: From Maid to Mother

Edit/add-on: Even Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle (I don't read this one, but as per title & your thread title...)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Fuyuneko likes this.
  19. stumblmer

stumblmer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know many CN, but i think Priceless Baby Super Daddy has a baby girl. I stopped around ch.471, so not sure if she's the sole baby.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  20. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is one with daughter i remember.
    Here Ml was raising his daughter .
    Rest of my life is for you .

I agree with Fuyu Neko on how mc transmigrates and acts as a child even if she goes into body of an adult but their kids are like small adults .
    There is one which is a qt - the villian is happy being a father. (Have read only one arc)
    There is another one -you look you're made of money but only at ending chapters.

Now all of you say . I did realised that most of c novels have sons even if there are daughters they aren't much showed .
    If there are sons then they are shown as little adults but daughters are shown as little princess or spoiled lady even acting as below their age having no iq and eq..

For The villian and cannon fodder mother . My views are that author only know how to build up novel and have comedic undertones but he/she is weak in writing emotional depth . Whether it is for giving her son some sort of security or her relationship with Ml ,it isn't dealt properly and ended story .
    Author didn't even went on to develop ml n mc relationship.
    Rather than above novel in -My son might be a villian ,it is shown how MC even though didn't know how to be a mother but she has iq to how to guide her instant son towards a better path and most novel is about mc n her son interactions. We get to see how mc son changes as most of the time mc priorities were her son even ml took a backseat.

Would like to know those values *curious*

Novel name ? With one one daughter?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
    Fuyuneko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.