Recruitment [Meteor Strike Media] Hiring Korean Translators, TLCheckers, and Rewriters

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by SlimIcee, Dec 16, 2019.

1. SlimIcee

SlimIcee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there everybody!

I'm Slimicee from Meteor Strike Media, and I'm here today looking for possible additions to our team. I'll be using this as a long-term recruitment thread for all positions from now on, so any further staffing updates will always be posted here.

Meteor Strike Media (MSM) is a US-based publishing company focusing on the translation and localization of Korean novels for an international English audience. We're currently looking for additional Korean translators, Korean translation checkers, and rewriters for our current and future novels. All of the positions listed above are paid positions. We're also open to those applying as proofreaders, but this position should not be viewed/treated as an easy way to read ahead of standard releases. I'll include descriptions of what these positions entail below.
    • Korean Translator
      Responsibilities
      1. Translate from Korean raws to comprehensible English free of logic holes and excessive grammar and syntax mistakes.
      2. Ensure accurate translations on completed chapters, and work with rewriters, and the staff at large, to ensure that translations do not deviate excessively from the original.
      3. Set standards on domain-specific terms.
      4. Assist other translators if needed, on a variety of projects.
      5. Work with rewriters on issues concerning accuracy, word choice, and edits.
      6. Accurately keep the team up to date on your status.
      Requirements
      1. Be reasonably fluent in the language you intend to translate from, and be reasonably fluent in English. You should have no problem reading a standard light novel in the native language, and have no problem communicating in English.
      2. Dedicate at least a few hours per week on translations. Expect to produce a minimum of 3000 English words of translation per week.
      3. Be available for communication (preferably by Discord) at a reasonable frequency, to check in with the team and communicate on future endeavors.
      4. Ability to receive constructive criticism, and compromise with others with different viewpoints.
    • Korean Translation Checker
      Responsibilities
      1. Check over already translated chapters and identify sections which deviate from the raws.
      Requirements
      2. Same requirements as for the translator position.

• Rewriter
      Responsibilities
      1. Take original translations, and reproduce them in high-quality English without loss of meaning.
      2. Ensure rewrites are accurate to the original, consistent in quality across the team, and at least at the university level in terms of English knowledge and awareness.
      3. Possess the ability to apply advanced writing skills that will improve description, word choices, syntax, voice, dialogue, action, and exposition, etc.
      4. Decide, or assist in deciding, what parts of the text require more liberal reworks and then expand the content that requires attention, using all methods of craft. Be sure to keep as close to the original intention as possible.
      5. Work with translators on issues concerning accuracy, word choice, and edits.
      6. Accurately keep the team up to date on your status.
      Requirements
      1. High level of fluency in English (typically, rewriters should at least have been in an American/British university)
      2. Dedicate at least a few hours per week to working on rewrites (at least 3 hours or so per week). Expect to write a minimum of 3000 words per week.
      3. Be available for communication (preferably by Discord) at a reasonable frequency, to check in with the team and communicate on future endeavors.
      4. Ability to receive constructive criticism, and compromise with others with different viewpoints.
      5. Have strong communication skills.
      6. Ability to balance all elements of the story (character, PoV, setting, plot, theme).
      7. Awareness of how your work compares to others, and, if need be, change or balance your style to fit the style of the work.
    To apply, or if you have any further questions, DM me on Discord: @Slimicee#9995. I'll also respond to any questions asked in the thread itself, so feel free to leave them here as well. You must be over 18 to apply for any position, so please keep this in mind before attempting to join. Applications are also stringently reviewed, especially those for rewriters. If you have any prior experience please let us know, but you will still be asked to take the relevant tests.

As a final note, all of our novels are licensed, and we only work on licensed novels. We are not looking for translators wishing to bring fan projects with them and we will not host unlicensed translations. Other than that, do feel free to ask me about anything you're still unsure of. Cheers!

2. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    I was pretty sure that we weren't supposed to mention pay/money on the forums, so I didn't include anything about that. I'd be willing to discuss it in DMs.

Westeller likes this.
  3. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    Update: Looking for a Korean Translator for one of our current projects.

4. innerchild

innerchild Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you still looking for rewriters?

5. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    We are.

6. ChristianM

ChristianM New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to apply as a rewriter but I cannot message you on Discord. I sent you a friend request since only friends or those sharing a server can message each other.

7. pamimio49

pamimio49 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you still looking for Korean translator?

8. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, contact me on discord @ Slimicee#9995 or at my email [email protected]

pamimio49 likes this.
  9. Rapier

Rapier Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you still looking for rewriters?

10. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, we are.

11. Rapier

Rapier Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had dmed you in the past, but I received no answer...

12. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    If you did I apologize. I often receive a large number of DMs and it may have been overlooked.

13. CaptainBunny

CaptainBunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @SlimIcee
    I just sent a friend request on discord. If you're still taking applicants I'd like to apply as a rewriter. Do you need a formal resume? Also, I go back to school in August so what kind of work schedule do you have or how many hours a week do you request for?

14. Nancie_7

Nancie_7 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    iam interested in translations...are you guys still hiring

15. Emme Unofficial

Emme Unofficial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello.

I am Emme, here to apply for the position of a rewriter.

I have prior experience in rewriting Korean as well as Chinese novels.

I had sent you a friend request a while back, but did not get any reply.

16. SlimIcee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes we are. Please message me on discord @Slimicee#9995

We are always looking for new Korean translators.