Discussion They expect us to pay for MTL novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Darkcrow., Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --MON--

--MON-- «Observer» «Death» «Lazy Reader»

Reading List:
    Link
    when i read in babel novel i always wait for the 2 free chaps per day and the 5 bonus bricks per day.

then when i felt like i have been too corrupted by the MTL language then i stop reading there and just went to webnovel, NU, and some sites providing real translations

Darkcrow. likes this.
  2. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    considering trolls who would report random novels and whiny kids who would report any non native english speaker translating when they dont have a editor yet I would not recommend that.

kenar, asriu, imK and 3 others like this.
  3. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Just saying. Theres no real rules about translations here. Not that I know of.

Theres a few mtl ones here and is readable. Some are doable with a few edits and a few more of just use google translate and copy paste.

And flat out banning them isnt a good way to do unless you can replace them and pump out good translations weekly.

Also no one would really put out IRL documents proving themselves as legit translators with certification. Unless they are a moron who wants their identity to multiply in the internet.

Emilyl likes this.
  4. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That might pick up MTL, but it would also pick up translators who aren't very good at English (which is a lot, especially since English is not the first language of many translators)

5. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i forgot about that. it will be a total chaos *sigh* if net trolls only didn't exist. but they're not all bad they sometimes create entertainment but most of them just pretty much keep being a d*ck b*tch c*nt and some m*th*rf*ck*ng trolls

6. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not NU's responsibility. NU is a link directory, like Google or Reddit, with user submissions (the site themselves sign up and submit chapters). And drawing a hard-and-fast line between pure MTL, lightly-"edited" MTL, and bad human translators would be a huge headache for Tony and the mod crew. So sadly these people get away with pushing this stuff onto us and clogging the front page every day.

7. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    there are also translators who are proficient in english and not proficient in the language they are translating to english

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised so many people are unfamiliar with Novel Updates' stance on machine translation.

Novel Updates does not list direct machine translation. If you put a raw chapter into Google Translate and post the result, we will not link to it. You will note that the site in question has thousands, tens of thousands, of chapters that are not listed.

Novel Updates does list *edited* machine translation. If you spend time editing to make machine translation readable - if still inaccurate - we will link to it. No attempt is made to judge the precise quality of the final result, only to determine whether editing has taken place.

Blitz, kenar, baka8roukanako and 8 others like this.
  9. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not? As long as they are happy.

10. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but Grammarly would only be able to judge the quality of English being written, not how well the meaning of the original source is conveyed

11. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that I call not having chill

12. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    i didn't know that. so let's not blame NU let's blame those who keep posting mtl quality on NU. but probably just avoid reading mtl unless you're enjoying it.

13. Melikachan

Melikachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will read MTLs but donkey hasn't eat my brain to pay for MTL

but there would always be stupid people who will buy as long as there are asked and they actually pay for MTL or shitty translated webtoons on webcomic app

14. vorador

vorador Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL is banned on the site. There's quite a few sites that post MTL translations and they're not on NU.

In any case, i don't think babelnovel will be around much longer. I think Amazon doesn't allow MTL translated novels, and certainly trying to play the system with the "kindle unlimited" for pricey MTL novels will certainly earn them delisted in time once they get several complains.

Plus i don't think anybody sane will pay for those prices.

15. --MON--

Reading List:
    Link
    and that's why a new algorithm should be written for translations of just train some machine learning ai to collect data about languages and train them specifically to translate things from one language to another.

so a language specialized ai, or just the algo to translate things to keep the quality at the acceptable range.

16. shadowtrap2010

shadowtrap2010 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really if you need credible before you allow to do it... said you need to be an active account that was made after a certain amount of time said 6 month... with reasonable human test before you allow said function. if they trolling they get their account ban and there go all that work!
    this would reduce the fake report and give more credit to the true user instead of water army.
    they can try to spamming to keep their clone up but it would flag their account

17. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read Westeller's post a bit above yours. And my go to example for these kind of comments is Elysion. He would charge $200+ per chapter. Said "chapter" would be a shit MTL where he would delete everything that didn't make sense to him, aka half the chapter. He had no free chapter schedule, but that was no problem because his "donation" queue was constantly full. So yes, people will pay.

Cohran likes this.
  18. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to subscribe to Google Cloud Translate and open "null translation (pun intended)" :blobowoevil:

Fun fact
    GCT are cheaper than QI slave contract. With their 20$ per 1m words rate you could profit already from 1 dumbo buying the whole novel.

19. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    you can just report those novels...there isn't a need to make so much drama over a novelsite no one other than dumb people are using....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Kaylee likes this.
  20. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.