Discussion is Sad ending (SE), Bad ending(BE) too?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Melikachan, Feb 27, 2020.

?

are Sad Ending and Bad Ending the same thing?

1. yeah

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. nah

48 vote(s)
    85.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melikachan

Melikachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i noticed this from sometimes ago that most of people here the "Bad Ending" for a "Sad Ending" so i couldn't sit still i say nothing

Sad Ending isn't Bad Ending!!
    Sad ending will make you cry, be depressed for a while but it's should be called a bad ending

Bad Ending is an bullshit end that make you feel reading that novel was a waste of your time and regret start reading it.

don't you guys think so?

2. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Talking about visual novels: some "Good Endings" aren´t "Happy Endings". In those cases the happy one is the "True Ending".

Gitami, Xxsafirex and Melikachan like this.
  3. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, imo bad refers to overall opinion and sad to emotion.

People who expect a happy ending might judge a sad ending as bad, and vice versa.

But I think those two concepts are different.

eray.gns and Melikachan like this.
  4. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there are 3 Endings:
    "Sad Ending" is where a Partner/s or someone very Importent to the MC dies at the End.
    "Bad Ending" is where the MC fails to fulfill his Goal and dies. (Never seen it in a Novel where MC Really Dies)
    "Shitty Ending" is an bullshit end that make you feel reading that novel was a waste of your time and regret start reading it.
    That is what i think.

Araenn, Gitami, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.
  5. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the person I would say. I went through a slight "emo" phase in high school and I enjoyed reading/watching things with tragedy and sad endings and I wouldn't consider them as "bad endings" then but nowadays I prefer things to end in a good note. Life is pretty shitty as is. There are also good endings I would consider as "shitty endings" named "most of the chinese novels" where the ending is cut short and happy moments are left untold.

Vilidious likes this.
  6. Melikachan

Melikachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i agree here are HE that you can consider as a shitty ending

7. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not in the slightest. I've read or watched a number of works that were sad but not in any way bad. Novel wise the Dark Material Trilogy left me in tears, but it wasn't bad. Anime wise Anohana, Your Lie in April, and Angel Beats all had sad endings, but are considered good if not great by many who watch them.
    Sad endings just means that something heartrending happens at the end.

Melikachan likes this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right, they are different :blobokhand: but most people would associate bad with sad (you know, like "this ending made me cry so it is bad") even if the sad ending is suitable or 'good' as an ending for the novel/story/etc... but since it made you cry then it is bad :blobsweat_2:

Melikachan and Anra7777 like this.
  9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    That'd depend, women more often than men specifically watch sad love stories to 'have a good cry'. Sad but good, bittersweet love :cookie:

i.e. a bad ending is tragedy, while a sad ending still potentially falls under romance.

10. Radial

Radial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both GaoGaiGar and ttgl have sad endings that aren’t bad

11. TRIBAL2199

TRIBAL2199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it just depends on your preference. More often than not, I like happy endings. I want my favorite characters to be happy when the story comes to an end. That being said, I've seen/read some horribly bad happy endings that have soured a series for me. Though there are a few cases where the sad ending just fits, or is done so well I can't call it bad Does anyone remember the ending to the Kikaider 01anime? That had me bawling the first time I saw it, and I watched it over and over after that.

12. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the genre. Sometimes the lack of happiness or an unfulfilled goal would be considered a bad end, and sometimes it is only the death of the protagonist that is considered a bad end.

13. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I’d call a sad ending a type of bad ending because the characters end up unhappy. It doesn’t mean it’s objectively bad, just that it’s unhappy. It’s a bit like how “comedy” originally meant that there was a marriage at the end, not that it was funny. Or how “tragedy” originally meant that there was a death, not that it was sad.

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I call bullshit on that~

There are guides that "officially" tell which endings are bad. Still some players consider true endings a sad one, just cause it doesn't fit with their ideal scenario. There are also cases where they view particular routes as sad endings when they're good endings for the characters. You can never appease everyone.

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's, to a large extent, subjective. A sad ending is not a bad ending if it fits the story is something that readers often say. But who decides if the ending is appropriate to the story? Critics? The author? I'd like to think it's ultimately up to the readers' interpretation, and how an individual reader responds to a particular ending may determine what kind of end it is for them. :hmm:

16. Alison Swift

Alison Swift Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your Lie in April have a really sad ending, but it's not bad in fact, without that climatic scene, it will only just be a normal story.
    some of story have "good" ending for the main character but it feels shit to watcher/reader.
    so no, it's possible to have a good and sad ending if the story calls for it

Melikachan likes this.
  17. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're obviously different.

But in my opinion, the worst ending there could be is if the ending takes value out of the story/journey.

It's like an epic journey to the supermarket just to find out its closed. The end.

I think there was this one popular novel that was great but the ending as i've read here was that all of it was just a dream.

I just dropped that novel instantly. Why bother reading the story if the ending is that it's all just a dream. Might aswell not read it in the first place.

Then again i never bothered to read the exact details of that ending so meh.

Melikachan likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree actually.

When someone talks about a bad ending, I usually think that something bad happens, not the writing quality is bad.

As in, Bad Ending for me means the same thing it means when you're playing a game (often times a Visual Novel) with multiple endings in it. And I think most people look at it from this same perspective.

A poorly written ending and a bad ending are completely different in my books.

GDLiZy and Saikyi like this.
  19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I've hardly ever seen anyone use that definition outside of people that do play such games.

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm bad ending can only apply to game scenario which may have multiple ending such as
    Normal ending
    Good ending
    Bad ending
    True ending
    depend on setting on game good ending may not same as true ending~ true ending usually mean extra care take multiple flag or factor or specific thing to do on specific event or time or place or whatever~ basically pain n butt to get~

if we insist on apply it on novel or story on general imo bad ending is~ any kind of ending which make you want to smack author for whatever reason~ it may because of but not limited to :
    rushed ending~ maybe author run out idea~
    ending with too many plot hole~
    axed ending meaning the story axed~
    loop ending meaning the story end with reveal the whole story actually a loop thing~
    no ending~ mean story discontinue for whatever reason

dum dum dum dum
    19644.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.