Resolved [JP] Please help with these lines.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Takeba, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the speaker's nephew joined a rebellion to dethrone the previous king and the speaker is talking to the new king who was the brother of the nephew. The new King was talking about welcoming the nephew back as royalty (because he no longer is one) and giving the nephew's companion noble ranks.
    「そうでしたか…やや?もしや貴方がたは反汪月の率役者ではございませんか。我々も貴方がたの行いに非常に感銘し、貴族位を与えるに足る行いだと絶賛しておりました。ぜひ、アレフレッドも含めて、我が国の貴族として参列頂きたいですね」

=======================================

「俺?俺は…」

助けを求めて周りを見回す。シエルとラグナは励ますように頷いてくれた。

ちがう、そうじゃない!なにその信頼感に満ちた目!

レイの好きにしていいんだよ、お前の決めることなら何でも受けとめてやれるぞ、みたいな、おっとこまえな目

今そういうの求めてないから!!

How do I put this line? Is おっとこまえな目 husband-like eyes (they are technically the speaker's husbands), manly eyes, or entirely different altogether?

==============================

『そうだねえ…そういえば、どうしてゾハナ湖ではあんなに沢山の刺客に先回りされたのかなあ?いくらなんでもいつもあの人数は放ってないだろうし。私は相当急いで駆けつけたけど、それより前に潜んでたってことは、前の王様に地下通路がバレちゃってたってことなのかなあ…誰も見てる人がいないと、不用心だよねえ』

Context:
    「前ヨーデリア王が我が国に対し、刺客を送り込んで来ておりました。それが余りにも、情報を得て差し向けて来る速度が迅速で、不思議に思っていたのです。何か特別な近道を、秘密裏に利用しているのではないかと」

======================================

てめぇ上手いこと逃げやがって、とウェスティンの副音声が聞こえる。どうやら強制貴族コースからは無事解放されたようだった。

I'm very sorry for the long post but I hope you guys can help me with these.:notlikeblob: Thank you very much!:notworthy:

xiazixin likes this.
  2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is no such thing as manly or husbando eyes. I think the dude is just looking straight in to the eye. I don't know, don't usually BL story have a male character staring with another dudes very close in to the eyes?
    or you can write cold expression.

I don't know what's 率役者ではございませんか. I'm really bad at hiragana.
    other than that's it basically means 我感谢贵方的行为, 很给足我们贵族的脸面, than hiragana, 为我国的贵族参列顶。
    basically, thankful for the (not sure 贵 here refers to the other party or nobility) your performance, it really befitting of our noble status... thankful for ...... (IDK)

上手 in japanese I think it's things your good at or familiar with. 逃 = escape, runaway.
    聞副音声 is listening tv navigator right? like telling you what happen in movies for blinds right?
    I have no idea....

I translate all my Japanese novel though Chinese skills, while MTL after annotation.
    I don't like hiragana just like I don't like some simplified chinese words. I prefers chinese words that are distinctive.
    anyway wait for morning where morst translators are awake.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Takeba likes this.
  3. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will do that, thanks! ☺️

xiazixin likes this.
  4. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are my suggestions:

「そうでしたか…やや?もしや貴方がたは反汪月の率役者ではございませんか。我々も貴方がたの行いに非常に感銘し、貴族位を与えるに足る行いだと絶賛しておりました。ぜひ、アレフレッドも含めて、我が国の貴族として参列頂きたいですね」

Is that so? Oh, could it be the ones before us here are the central figures of the 反汪月? Your deeds have left an astoundingly deep impression on us, and we greatly appraise such deeds to be worthy of conferment of noble rank. By all means, we would graciously welcome your presence, along with Alfred, among our country's nobles.
    レイの好きにしていいんだよ、お前の決めることなら何でも受けとめてやれるぞ、みたいな、おっとこまえな目!

God, what's with those eyes!? It's like they're saying (thoughts that precede the fragment).
    You could put manly there. Husband-like is amusing too. But it could also be argued that none of the descriptors add much to the sentence either. It's up to you.

そういえば、どうしてゾハナ湖ではあんなに沢山の刺客に先回りされたのかなあ?いくらなんでもいつもあの人数は放ってないだろうし。

Oh right, why were there so many assassins waiting for us at Lake Zohana? No matter how you look at it, they couldn't deploy that many people all the time.
    I'm assuming that that it's the speaker's party whom the assassins were waiting for.

てめぇ上手いこと逃げやがって

Bastard, you just had to slip out of my hands.
    He is complaining that the person skillfully ran away.

I hope that helps!

Takeba likes this.
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have the time to write out a response to all your questions, which is why I have deferred posting on this thread. But I would like to point out that おっとこまえ is just a twisting of おとこまえ = 男前. It means handsome or manly, but in this case it is meant to be reassuring. So I would suggest translating おっとこまえな目 as "reassuring eyes" or some similar phrase.

Takeba likes this.
  6. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nachte likes this.