Spoiler A Stepmother's Märchen

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by twistingfeelings, Jul 28, 2019.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that was a given considering the MLs are younger than the MC. One year at least but still...
    Even the older guys - the emperor and the duke - have their own spouses and they dont give me any kind of that vibe. The duke seems to be more worried about his son and the emperor doesnt care for his.
    Creepy Cardinal is just a frustrated wanna be husband who tries to be married but he's stupid if he even attempts that. According to spoilers, he even wanted the MC to be in a monastery!
    Seriously overreach of saying the guys are pedos...read the story and spoilers, I guess?

2. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good that its confirmed there was no relationship of that kind between her and her husband. I was never fully sure of that

Creepy church dude only one confirmed i guess

But I remember one spoiler saying that she took on lovers in the first life to protect the kids. And I'm 99 percent sure they were older dudes

3. Alegria Jones

Alegria Jones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To Nora the dukes son. At least that’s what the spoilers say

4. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think she took on lovers. I think she had meetings with them regarding confidential stuff she needed help with, regarding the family and estate and all that. And Jeremy is the one who assumed she was meeting other men so early after his father's death. And maybe others assumed this as well. But I think she would've mentioned this if it was true.

5. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda agree. She is the head of the family and most people she would be doing business with for the estate and the children would be men and they will be older than her. (Think Queen Victoria before she got the title. She inherited a Government full of old men). The trial scene and the guys who Jeremy and Nora beat up support this. Other nobles and the children already judged her in the last life as some tramp that appeared out of nowhere and became head just before her husband's death so she already got a bad reputation. It doesnt help that she was grieving in her own way and she alienated the children in the process.

If she had a confirmed lover, I am assuming that guy would be shameless enough to reside at the family home. Nobody could legally tell her no.

So, pretty much a society that judges people just coz they feel they need or have a right to. Same as today.

6. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you all might be right in some way. From what I get from the flashback drawings, I do think she took on "lovers" (although I am pretty sure they didn't hook up, just, you know, have tea and take walks and stuff), but they also did not look like old men, the one I am specifically thinking of was drawn to look like he was at most in his early twenties. But let us not forget that her mother was the kind of woman to get with a lot of men to advance in society, who sold her daughter to a middle-aged marquis, and who, if I remember correctly, at least in theory imparted her "wisdom" to her daughter - so in her desperation in her first life, I can see her flirting around in order to get people to help her. Shuli pretty much implied that it was the only thing she knew how to do and she did not care about her pride. However, I can also see how eventually, people did not care and started mixing things up, so any man she meets in private would feed into the rumors, whether she actually flirted with them or not.

Now, I don't know korean, but what I saw from the raws, there should be some stuff cleared up in the next couple of chapters because her mother and brother will be visiting (as will Nora). That conversation should provide some insight. If someone knows korean, do check this link and please clear some stuff up for us <3 https://newtoki53.com/webtoon/523485/어떤-계모님의-메르헨?page=2&toon=일반웹툰

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't see any implication of her flirting ever. I guess we'll wait and confirm or not our theories.

Matpatpat likes this.
  8. Liyu

Liyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh, from you all, i guess she ends up with Nora...:blobconfused:
    I absolutely preferred her to be with the crown prince, or at least jeremy.
    I actually even tought that the cardinal richelieu maybe an ml:facepalm:
    BUT really nora ? i mean he's still a wet behind the ears boy who doesn't even know how to conduct himself in the middle of a banquet and gets into fights. More like the "cute type", not my favorite; completely unreliable in political matters.
    A reborn jeremy when he got the measles would have been SUCH a great plot.

9. Pamtiur

Pamtiur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone tell me more about Fl family and how they may react to her getting so much power cus the husband died...???

Rosie77 and Ruruki like this.
  10. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    looking at the next couple of chapters, it looks like they were thinking she is still the push-over she was in her first life, were they got her to basically finance their shit lifestyle and use her as much as possible, but current Shuli is not having any of it. She basically handles them like she handled her husband's shitty family members. There's a link for free raws a couple of posts up.

11. Pamtiur

Pamtiur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice!! ^^

Ruruki likes this.
  12. Justpassingthrough

Justpassingthrough Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I've read so far, its a bit insta-interest-ish. They first meet in this alley where the MC is being harassed by her trash older brother and he helps her. They both become curious about each other. MC mainly cus she can't remember him from her previous life. Later they meet again at a party and Jeremy gets into an argument with him and she remembers that Nora and Jeremy had a really bad relationship inter past life. To the point where they dueled each other.
    After the party the duchess asks her to spend time with him cus she (the duchess) sees that MC has a really good relationship with her kids(Jeremy and them) and Nora's relationship with his parents is really bad. The duchess wants them to spend time together in the hopes that it will help Nora. I think its during this period where he really starts to fall in love with her.

Xi-hime, Amanda16, Neljhay and 14 others like this.
  13. Justpassingthrough

Reading List:
    Link
    I also believe that its probably a combination of her flirting with people to get their help and society judging her.
    In some ways her previous husband really irritates me. Yes he probably helped her when he married her but he also basically dumped a whole lot of responsibilities on to a child who is just a couple of years older than his own child. One of the main reasons why people were judging her was because of the huge age gap.
    The engagement between Jeremy and Ohara was entirely his idea. He wanted the marriage to balance power or something and the MC who really kind of idolizes him just goes with it. She wasn't politically savvy enough to realize that the situation had changed over the last few years or so and just went along with his original idea.
    I'll stop there cus I've gone waaaaay off topic :blobsweat_2:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Xi-hime, Amanda16, Neljhay and 13 others like this.
  14. Justpassingthrough

Reading List:
    Link
    What happens to the prince Theo? I got the feeling he wasn't a nice person from Nora's comment at the party but what does he actually do?

Ruruki likes this.
  15. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    someone previously spoiled that Theo is responsible for the bad blood between Nora and his parents - he apparently broke something and made them think it was Nora's fault. In general, he seems to push blame onto others to get out of hot water, telling little lies here and there that pile up, always only looking out for himself. Nothing truely evil, but also not the type of human I'd want to be friends with.
    As for what happens to him: I don't think anyone's found that out yet, but I'd assume nothing. Jeremy stops being his friend apparently once he realises his true nature, and I'd assume with that he is out of their lives, probably marries and eventually becomes Kaiser. Nothing he does (at least as far as is known right now) is really a crime.

Xi-hime, Neljhay, lostpanta and 12 others like this.
  16. Justpassingthrough

Reading List:
    Link
    He'd have to do something pretty big to get kicked off the position of crown prince. I mean, his dad doesn't really seem to like him in the current chapters but his position is still quite stable. And in the past life he was fine?

Ruruki and Jukki like this.
  17. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    If I remember correctly, he wasn't mentioned at all so far in any of her flashbacks, so I'm guessing since Jeremy did not have a good relationship with Shuli and the situation at the house was so tense, he probably never came by and it might just be that they never even met.

Either way, Shuli's like .... 16? right now and died at.... 23-ish? in the first timeline, so by that calculation, the emperor was probably still fine and no throne succession would have happened yet anyway?

18. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Coming of age is blurred in those days. Only in late to mid 20th century, 18 was established as the "age of maturity" and it is still depends on the country. ...I guess being a few years older than his son would qualify her.

Re:engagement. She cant just arbitrarily end the engagement, even technically as head o f the family she can do it. So far, there nothing that Ohara and her family has done to merit such actions and doing it out of the blue will look bad on Jeremy and his family and his prospects. If she doesn't honor Johannes' arrangement with Ohara's father, they will looked as a family that doesn't keep their word and they are untrustworthy. Who would want a future son in law who just breaks engagement coz he feels like it?

I doubt Shuli is there to revolutionize everything. She is trying to right her wrongs, yes. She does have a more confident attitude but is somebody detects as encroaching via poltiics, that Creepy Cardinal have more ammo for her to be sent away.

19. Vivixoxo

Vivixoxo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I finally finished majority of the novel after like 3 months so I'll post some spoilers to hopefully answer some questions.

She was described to be like a fairy. Outgoing, tomboyish. Her and Shuli are not related in any way despite them looking like twins. There's a side story about her, the emperor, the duke, and the marquess in their childhood. Ludovica was the first love of all three of them. The duchess (Nora's mom) was friends with Ludovica. She knew that her husband's first love was Ludovica and so she asked Shuli to hang out with her son to get him to open up (she knew Shuli resembles Ludovica, and so being father and son, they might have the same taste in women). It's also stated that she died after giving birth to the prince, 3 years after becoming the empress.

Duke Nuremburg's older sister. From a young age, she was raised to be an empress by her father. She hates the former empress Ludovica. When Ludovica died, she was placed on the empress seat, which she did not want. At first, she disliked Shuli due to her resemblance to Ludovica, but later changed her mind after Shuli proved her chastity at a trial.

As I've mentioned previously, he pretends to be a gentleman on the surface. There is a three-year time skip in the story, where he creates a gambling guild in order to alienate Shuli from the Neuvanstein siblings. Elias is the one who is most affected (he takes Shuli's money to go gamble). He also encourages the Second Prince to gamble in order to penalize him. Eventually, all his lies and doings are exposed and he is exiled to another country. It is also hinted through the duke that he played a part in Nora's attempt poisoning.

Also, the reason why Duke Nuremburg believed him over his son is that the prince's face resembled the former empress when he's sad.

Shuli's family is a minor viscount family who owns nothing (stated in chapter 1) because her father is addicted to gambling and alcohol, using up all their wealth. Her family tries to leech off of her after she becomes the marchioness. After the death of Johann (her husband), her mom tried to marry her off to someone else (manhwa raw chapter 30). She took on "lovers" (fake/contract relationship) in order to prevent them from trying to get her to remarry.

20. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Superb. Where did you accessed it? Brain bleed, here we come....

Re: Ludovica. Huh. Reverse harem. Kinda made me curious how Johannes dealt with Shuli when he got married to her, considering she might have been a carbon copy of Ludovica when the latter was younger. In his case, the arrangement with Shuli was maybe part nostalgic, part practical. Still a little cruel.

Re:Elizabeth. I knew it. She was jealous. At least it wasn't as bad as I perceived it to be. @Vivixoxo . Can you DM me the trial bits. Are they graphic?
    I wanna read about that trial. I'm not surprised they did it but I want all the juicy bits...

As for Theo, that's one rebellious kid and someone who is understandably jealousy on my POV. But seriously, poisoning? He needs his ears to be pinched, his bottom to be whipped and yeah, exiled. .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020