Discussion Coronavirus. What to do ? [Advisory thread]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reagents 11, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Iga7771

Iga7771 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if masks are really recommended because you can get infected through your eyes too,right?and wearing mask all makes good conditions for bacterias to grow...so I think it won't help very much
    In my country it's said that mainly infected people should wear masks to reduce the risk of infecting others while they are coughing/sneezing etc.

Nightow1, imK and Femme Fatale like this.
  2. Army

Army Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While COVID-19 can be fatal to the elderly and people with preexisting health conditions, according to current data children are not particularly at risk. While they are almost as likely as adults to get infected, they have lower rates of showing symptoms/ getting sick. This is in contrast to other viral epidemics where the death rate is the highest among children. That being said, I believe that it has been found that children can carry the virus for up to one month and show little to no symptoms during that time period. Thus, while it’s crucial to keep children from becoming infected (to prevent further spread) most of the concern should go towards the elderly (>50) who have the highest death rate of any age group currently.

The best thing to do is to wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds each time (sing happy birthday twice). There’s no need to wear face masks, especially if you are a healthy individual, since they are meant to prevent sock people from spreading their germs. Furthermore, wearing a face mask can in fact increase your probabilities of falling ill since you’ll touch your face more. If you are sick and wearing a face mask to prevent spreading it, you should change the mask every 30 min-1 hour for maximum effectiveness. This is because precipitation affects the filtration properties, which is thus affected by your breathing.

Overall, you shouldn’t panic too much, but you should definitely be more conscious about your hygiene. Stock up on toilet paper so you don’t have to worry about running out and there being none left in the stores... or invest in a bidet?

3. Fran.2424

Fran.2424 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that the blue mask are mostly useless, only use them if you are sick, or suspected to be sick so you don't spread the virus around you, and you need to change them if they get wet or every 3 hours (approximately).

Don't panic over if you think u may have it but there isn't any case in your country or near by yourself, and if you haven't went out to other countries or public places were you could get sick with covid-19, it may be a stupid advise but sometimes we could get paranoid over nothing (probably just a fever) .
    If you suspected, with solid reasons, to be sick with the virus then lock yourself in your house, try to get away from your family if you can and call to the local health number provided by your country, so u can get tested and confirm the diagnostic.

Not to scare anyone but I have seen that the test they do to detect the virus can not always work so that's why they do it multiple times.
    I have seen on the news that pets can also be infected.

As always correct me if I'm wrong and give your opinion if I omited something.

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Doctor plagues's mask is all you need.

imK likes this.
  5. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Stay away from meat?! Heathen!!!
    Jokes aside, I’d advice against staying away from meat unless you live in a 3rd world country, are old/has a weak immune system. While the chances of getting corona are higher from meat compared to a salad, it simply isn’t THAT much higher, if everyone stayed away from meat we’d be throwing away millions of tons of meat.
    The cost simply doesn’t justify the risk reduction.

6. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard about the pet thing. I'm not sure whether they can get the virus, but if you are sick and you sneeze on your pet, they can definitely become carriers to others that pet them. SIGH. They will happily go around spreading the love from the droplets on their coats. ^.^

There is no need to panic, just to upgrade your hygiene protocols. >_>

And keep your hands from your face....which is easier said than done.

Oh...and what I think is really important, to clean your devices and surfaces with detergents when appropriate a bit more frequently perhaps...you know...doorknobs, cellphones, etc.

7. Thecomicgeek

Thecomicgeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Please keep in touch with news reports (from reputable sources in your locality) note that these usually post reputable sources of information like local health organizations with their websites.

2. Clean Hygiene: there are nursery songs for this, ought to be common sense.

3. Keep cold/fever medicine handy, if you or family have respiratory problems make sure you have your meds/prescription filled for those too

4. List down all emergency contact information available in your area and post somewhere easily visible like the fridge.

5. Dextrose powder or electrolyte energy drinks can be a lifesaver. A pack of those in case of emergency. (we always have some in the house)

6. Hand Sanitizers or Alcohol is currently fashionable I have mine with hello kitty design (drew a mustache on it so it doesnt look so girly)

7. Panic buying or overstocking on items helps no one. If your sick with convid I doubt you'd eat alot with the breathing problems and high fever etc.

8. Educate your family members too. If alone consider a partner/neighbour heck a friend w/ benefits. Point. Watch out for each other.

9. Dont be like my uncle and aunt watching zombie apocalypse survival guides. =_= seriously... Dont!

10. Panicking is understandble but seriously wont help.

11. Do NOT under any circumstances rely on social media for accurate news. Double check, triple check. If trolled hit the offender with a shoe..

imK and Femme Fatale like this.
  8. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I think fresh? vegetables would be more of an issue...cause people in supermarkets are rather disgusting when they can just reach and grab.....

I always wash my vegetables in water and vinegar when I get home...then dry them for storage (even before the virus): vegetables keep longer, you remove any chemicals, etc. I'm not sure about viruses...but it does no harm to give them a wash. XD

Perhaps, if you are concerned, frozen vegetables would be better.

imK, lohwengk and Fallion like this.
  9. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    The most importan thing is to stay calm.

Preventative measures:
    1. Wash your hands with soap regularly. Lather for atleast 20 seconds.
    2. Keep your hands away from any bodily orifices like your eyes, ears or mouth.
    3. Don't start hording resources. This isn't the apocalypse. It's only inflate prices
    4. Also don't hoard face masks. Makes it expensive for healthcare personnel.

If you think you have it:
    GO TO A HOSPITAL. They will know much more about what you need to do than some rando on the internet(including me)

Finally, couple of links:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

imK, reagents 11 and Femme Fatale like this.
  10. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    No wonder why the outbreak is so fast. We are poor in here to build 100s departments just because some crazy staffs brought this here, because they wanted to run away from it but didn't know they were actually carrying it.

I would say mind your own life and for others, so far no cures yet.

imK likes this.
  11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets not kid ourselves,

The biggest problem with this virus is the respiratory problems. Most of the survivors I've watched on youtube all needed respiratory support to survive. This is why China had to build that hospital.
    Although you should not panic right now and stock up on supplies, you should not downplay the severity of this disease.
    Going to the shop in panic to buy necessities is stupid too... Just imagine:
    This week: there is a shopping frenzy in super market A
    Next week: There is an outbreak of the disease, it was traced back to super market A ....

imK likes this.
  12. Michi

Michi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s the recipe for a disaster... if you have it o think you got it, give your doctor or the hospital a phone call before you do anything.
    If you have the virus and you happily show up to the doctor, her/him, the staff, and patient that where there and the one after, will end up in quarantine and the places where you have been sterilized... now think the same on hospital scale...

imK likes this.
  13. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    imK and reagents 11 like this.
  14. Thecomicgeek

Thecomicgeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Information/Education is still the best defense overall. Unless your a hermit on an island avoiding contact with others is nigh impossible in daily living. I keep seeing people giving the stink eye to anyone who sneezes in public... Best to memorize the symptoms, health guidelines and if you think or have the symptoms at least 60% I personally suggest calling the hospital first before going there in person get some consultation over the phone like.

If you dont have it and go there and someone does... Which has a high probability especially if your area has already checked positive for those with convid. Well..

imK and Femme Fatale like this.
  15. plutotheplanet

plutotheplanet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi im from Australia and i work at coles which is a supermarket so ill tell you some stuff ive learnt while working there, the amount of people who cough or sneeze normally just face away and not realy cover their mouths so your groceries already are covered in germs, people who use hankies normally keep them in the same pocket as there change so thats how dirty money is in general, the second we get toilet paper in our store its taken out immediately to the sales floor so no there's no horde hidden out the back,we are constantly micromanged so nothing is cleaned properly so the trolleys, baskets and the toilets may look clean but aren't.

Nightow1, imK, lohwengk and 2 others like this.
  16. TheJudge

TheJudge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue here is fear of the unknown. Not much of the virus is known therefor people are panicking. This will get much worse before it gets better. Stock markets have dropped over 15% in a month, that's billions and maybe trillions of dollars gone. If the area you live in has infected, best to stay home and stock up on food/supplies/masks, don't listen to the morons that say dont overstock on food and supplies, anti vaxxers, or people that thinks this virus is a joke because theres "only" 100k infected vs the flu where millions are infected every year. It's a different ball game. The laws of nature will weed out those idiots when they starve to death or die from the virus.

Better be safe than sorry, spend a few hundred of extra food/supplies because money doesn't mean anything when you're dead. I've been staying home and just trading the bloodbath markets, at the rate the market has been dropping I'd be able to retire in a few months.

Stock up on hand sanitizer, n95 8511 face masks or a higher grade gas filter mask if you're planning on going out in a area that has a high infection rate. A vaccine/cure will not be out for at least a year so take it how you will.

imK and lohwengk like this.
  17. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm on Asia and the price of surgical mask went to 100$ from 5$ lmao

18. kira1011

kira1011 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way I think is every country should implement make people stay at home for 2 week to confirm and isolated people that got infected.it should stop the virus from spreading and gov should try provide food to reduce the need of people go around

19. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    ...drink your common cold meds' wit a glass of liquid cyanide...
    and ask those your kins to do the same....

20. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Shut up and die? Not like somebody will care.