Discussion How to Treat Your Favorite Translator More Nicely

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by flowingcloud, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I have and will always abide with the translator's rules. Especially the one concerning people who post in their socials.

I am not a sociable, attention-seeking halfwit who post to Insta because they got a chapter for free. It's like on every intro and outro of the page. Its large and colorful so you wont miss it but some people are attention seeking so they do that to gain followers. The only things I contribute to translators are to leave a like, pop in their discord once in a while (if my workload permits it), say Thank you and stalk. And whatever shit is going in the story is hardly the translators fault. Nor them dumping a project if they so wish.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    make comment use some common courtesy~ dunno about common courtesy? go out, go work, socialize~
    you can't? meh how weak~
    19668.png

3. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    I always appreciate the private messages on discord when someone tells me thank you for translating:)

c.decora likes this.
  4. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's free I do my best to drop a like and a positive comment. I don't think it's bad if people leave constructive criticisms, but some people get really upset by it. A small percentage are total jerks about it though. If you can't say anything nice, don't bother saying anything at all. It's free, they don't owe you anything. Leave them alone. If I don't like the style of their translating or whatever I just leave. If I don't like their comments, I just leave. No need to get vicious on it.

If it's paid and they hit their money/donation goal but make a habit of late posts I immediately drop them. Once I can forgive. Twice is iffy. Three times? No, you're not worth it. I'll go find someone reliable. I've met a couple of "When I get around to it" translators who demand and threaten for 'donations', berating their readers for not respecting (paying) them. Internet Hitlers get nothing from me. Ditto for translators who get paid and don't deliver the goods. If you're going to charge, be professional.

Be nice to the translators and respect their rules. Equally, don't be shy about pulling up those few translators who act like brats. Everybody deserves common decency until proven otherwise.

5. Sephi-chama

Sephi-chama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A little late to the party, but may I add another general tip for commenting? Tip: Don't be an entitled prick. It's off-putting, and there are much better ways to go about it if you're trying to persuade someone into doing you a favor.

Case in point, below is a wonderful comment I received last year when I finished translating a teaser. Note that I had stated that I would only be translating a teaser for this novel before starting, and it is (and was) labelled as a teaser on my website. I don't know how to insert images on here, so I'll copy the text of the comment below (without permission). The comment can be found on my website here (https://rainytranslations.wordpress.com/light-and-shadow/volume-1-the-switched-bride/1-3/). It is the third comment down in the comments at the bottom, followed by my lengthy rant/response.

"Why not just continue with the translation? I mean share a good novel for everyone to read. I know you said u gain nothing, but you could set up a patreon and received donation for your work. I love this novel, and even though I have read the webcomic, I think the novel is more descriptive and there a lot of emotions and internal monologues that the comic failed to potray. Besides, your translation is top notch. You can use this opportunity to brush up on your literary skill as well. I guess what I’m trying to say is, it’ll be a shame for a novel this good to be abandoned. I hope u can rethink your decision to drop this work." [sic].

I do have to thank this commenter for helping me decide for good to walk away from this project and never look back. Translating is a hobby for me, and I do it because I love doing it, but it's just not worth the time, money, and effort if it means I have to deal with certain people.

TaffyGirl13, Snowbun, imK and 2 others like this.
  6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    The list of M nuffians keeps on increasing... @Osamaru @Ophious @Raidou99 , find an S for UnGrave.

imK likes this.
  7. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    How many times do I need to say it?! I'm not an M damn it!

imK likes this.
  8. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fk u bastard! I'm not a masochist! U are! @Shem Shield beat him!

imK likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I know you both love even being told that you both are M but first lets help Ungrave. Denying your true self is not helping anyone~

10. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop! Stop before i commit murder!

11. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you man, means a lot :blob_grin:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Kuro_0ni and Thecomicgeek like this.
  12. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    *pats*

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already my own S

imK likes this.
  14. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, the level of entitlement in that person's comment was too damn high. Obviously you didn't want to, so you didn't have to. I have the feeling they probably meant well, but damn...no man, that's not how you encourage people. I'm glad you dropped the project. I like my freebies, but I also respect that health and happiness comes first. Good on you for sticking to your guns.

Snowbun and Sephi-chama like this.
  15. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_coughblood:

16. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    My readers are very nice, favorite ones are those random poems, AU arcs and stuff they sometimes write as comments.

I did feel bad for dying for a good while, so I went marathon mode last night and translated 14k in four and a half hour... then another chapter this morning. I'm currently a bit dead again.

But they're happy with the random spike of chapters, hahaha. Their patience really spiked my motivation that day. :ROFLMAO::X3:

Snowbun and imK like this.
  17. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know man, this reminds me of people getting pissy at me for being slow on Death flags because they donate on my patreon, even though there are literally no chapters to translate, which is something I explained a billion times, but people seem not to care.
    Like, ohohoh, I gave you 2 dollars, you have godly powers now, create the chapters from nothing.
    Even though I went above and beyond to get the author to work on the novel again, which worked but worked a bit too well. Now he's working on a manga, which means there are less chapters of the novel coming out.

18. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on if you made a promise on the translation eg; "Two bucks and I'll release [x] chapter on Thursday!" If you don't make the promise it's a donation and they're not entitled to shit. If you've made a promise then you should come through on it. If people are rude about it (free or paid), that's not acceptable either. They're free to not support you/refund if they don't like your policy, but that doesn't give them the right to treat you like dirt.

TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  19. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, the rudest people and most entitled usually don't donate anything anyway.
    They read your novel on aggregators, then they come berate you in your comments when they reach the latest chapter. (for real, those people exist)
    I fortunately don't have to deal with that all that often, it's becoming petty rare.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    TaffyGirl13 and imK like this.
  20. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I've met those people and vote that we throw them in front of truck-kun. Let them annoy some other universe. Not cool to disrespect translators ever.

Defiring likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.