Discussion Fear Spreads Faster than the Virus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Reindeer, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
?

Is the paranoia necessary?

1. Yes, we shouldn't take the risk.

14 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. No, the virus is not as big of a threat as the masses think.

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Yes, because only this level of fear will make the people take action

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. No, because the panic will cause more harm than good

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  5. I don't know

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend watching Markiplier talking about covid-19.

2. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The old people are panicking because anyone over 50 has a high chance of dying also if you have health complications too. Thats where the panic is at. As well as that hospitals can only handle so much people eg china making a big new corona virus hospital just to try and hold more people but again iver there the amount reached 100 thousands. Europe health care is better but theres no stopping the common cold let alone this virus. If they took it seriously enough early on could have been stopped but i think it will wipe out a lot of old people :(

imK likes this.
  3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    No, because the panic will cause more harm than good

I swear this is like the worst level of 'panic' there is.
    People are stocking up on toilet paper and non-perishable food but they're still going out in public and interacting with other people like normal. If they were really worried about the virus they should just distance themselves from others.

4. celestiallion

celestiallion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing that really hurts is actually the reality. A little bit of panic is fine as long as you can think rationally and not do extreme things. The thing is, we should really prepare, whether it be food, medical supplies, etc. If you want to talk about the number of confirmed cases, that's right, CONFIRMED, that means people that are actually tested by hospitals and medical experts etc. The number of cases might be far larger than what we actually know. The next thing about this virus is that it WON'T be getting BETTER soon, vaccine takes years to develop, there might be certain group of people trying to pass of fake vaccine as real vaccine for quick bucks, watch out for that. And, if you really want to look at the CONFIRMED cases, the CONFIRMED cases alone showing EXPONENTIAL growth, that's right, not linear, but EXPONENTIAL, it will stay dormant for a while and suddenly exploding, nothing you can do about it if you don't start preparing. Now, let's talk about china, I've been looking at the number of confirmed cases in china for 2 weeks, and the cases stay at 80,000 for 2 WEEKS. There's no way they got things under control when all they do is censoring information and stuffs. And people always talk about NUMBER OF RECOVERY and DEATH, as I said, things will get WORSE, not better, who can say the virus will MUTATE in the future? nobody knows. Also, even if the number of death is low, that number of death can include anyone, it can also be YOU, sure we can't control our death, but at the very least put some effort into staying alive and preparing. The worst thing is if you don't worry about this whole virus thing when this virus can infect tens of countries in such a short time, it's not really helping that WHO declares this as global pandemic too late. If you don't worry about this, you simply don't look at the reality of things, some worry can help you stay alert and prepared for this thing. Oh yeah, now the number of confirmed cases in italy already reached 15,000ish, if the number can reach 80,000 in italy, then it'd be HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS or might be MILLION in China. Anyway, stay safe and prepare anyone, it's not that i want to scare people or anything, the REALITY of things is BAD and you need to responds appropriately. In the end, every man for himself, there's no downside in preparing early.

5. Annie999

Annie999 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haha..... the tuck shop nearby has sold off all their hand wash, sanitizers, mask etc...
    my friend asked me go to the city to buy masks...
    and i am like i see a good business opportunity there

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normal people panic buy
    poor people just panic(can't buy two to four week worth of supplies in one go)

7. KuroKaze

KuroKaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the prelude to the rise of the hikkikomori and the fall of the riajuu.
    But in all seriousness this is the first world wide pandemic and ofcourse people should be scared, even those who survive this will still suffer in the aftermath.
    And if for some f#$%ed up reason this pandemic gives rise to zombies.........

8. Fryz

Fryz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found a website that summarize all countries Covid-19 infection, deaths, and recovery. It is updated hourly with source cited:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

You can also see the infection graph of the some infected countries, and from the graph you can summarize some nice info like:
    1. China and South Korea is getting better, the rate of recovery is faster than the rate of infection, reducing their active cases significantly.
    2. Iran cases still grow linearly. Maybe their case grow so quick and surpass their testing capabilities.
    3. Other western countries still grow exponentially. But it should start slowing in 1 month if they do China style quarantine (total lockdown, with temperature check in every building entrance)

As for my opinion about the fear effect of the pandemic, personally I felt a bit happy with this pandemic because:
    1. Stock goes down a lot, which means opportunity to buy cheap stock and getting rich fast.
    It might sounds evil, but I actually hope this pandemic got worse in terms of infectivity, while fatality stays the same of less.
    MORE PANIC FOR PEOPLE, MORE MONEY FOR ME HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    2. I am young, less than 30 y/o. This virus kills mostly old people, which is strange since most corona kills either the very young and very old. As long as I don't roll shitty dice, probably I won't die.

As for curing this virus, there are several methods:
    1. Manual vaccination. Let everybody get infected. Whoever survive will be immune.
    2. Synthetic Vaccine development finished, and pray there will be no mutation.
    3. Mutation and become deadlier. Symptoms will be easier to see and therefore make quarantine easier.
    4. Mutation and become less deadly a.k.a become normal flu. We can ignore this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  9. elford

elford Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for countries in continent like Europe, America and Asia they Can manage to eridicate the virus but for Africa and his population it will become true hell. 80% of the governments in Africa are corrupted and inefficient is very possible that the virus are spreading quietly may God protect Africa

imK likes this.
  10. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    Key is education
    we gotta learn how to properly gear up and not be controlled by fear or something... But looking at the situation now... sighs

11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Im staying off social media til the panic goes down.

My city got 1 positive case and all of the sudden not a single Alcohol, sanitizer can be bought.

Its already a pain in the ass. Making me and my mum have high bp due to the panic.

12. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Although my say on this doesn't hold a candle as, I myself, already hoarded 3 boxes of surgical mask and 2 small boxes full of alchohol and hand sanitizer atm. In my defence, this was done by steady buying over the span of 2 months.

Just a day before, as the zone I'm living is struck, I took a stroll in my street and give some of the preventive supplies to my close neighbors. I originally had 7 boxes of disposable surgical mask, but I gave some of them to my neighbors because this sh*tty panic buying.

I still feel disdain the sight of people of running around like headless chickens they are the moment their has been strucked yet didn't even bother to stock some before even when seeing the longevity of the virus.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
  14. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    As a wise man once said : "How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death".
    So yeah, fear is good, as long as it doesn't override our logical thinking that is.

15. celestiallion

celestiallion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you know a thing or two about china, you know that this is their propaganda to keep the masses from panicking. Like I said in my previous reply, it'll take years to develop vaccine. China has been manipulating the number of cases so the number looks 'small'. China has been arresting people caught spreading 'rumor' of the coronavirus, trapping people inside their home whether they're healthy or not and force arresting sick people or people saying negative things of the CCP (chinese communist party). Just recently, Journalists have 'dissapeared' for investigating the virus. If this doesn't convince let's take a look at statistics, assuming china is getting better, then, china workforce are supposed to be back to work and resuming normal activity right? but nope, there are statistics showing the CO2 emission in china and the emission has been low up until now. Assuming daily routine has started again, this seems odd, shouldn't the CO2 emission increases as daily routine is back again? Hopefully you're prepared because this is going to get worse and not better, that's just the reality of things. A virus spreading to 50+ countries should be fact enough for you to take it seriously.

16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: The 'you' used here is the 'communal you', not an attack on the OP.

This is what the WHO kept saying, which they are now singing a different tune as Europe is locked and America is isolating itself from its former allies. Now WHO accused the world governments for not doing enough to stop the virus instead when it was they who told the world governments that it was not bad enough to do anything drastic. They even accused Taiwan of being paranoid, but now Taiwan is free from coronavirus because they ignored WHO's suggestions.

There is no protection from the coronavirus. If you have it, even when you don't know about it, you can already spread it to everyone around you. You touched that plate, and you don't wash it, the person who touch it next now carries the virus, and if he touches his face, he's now infected, just like you, and he won't know it until between 6-14 days later. By 14 days later, both of you may have already infected hundreds other people. And you won't know it until there's a huge spike in symptoms 14 days later. Out of these hundreds of people, maybe 10 people will die.

Oh, it's only 10 people out of hundreds, you say? It's not that bad, you say?

Oh dear. Do you have parents? Do your friends have parents? If these parents are infected by your virus, they will most likely die. Imagine that, you have killed your own parents. Because you think it's not a big deal.

Maybe your sister has asthma. You'd have killed your own sister too. All because you wanted to act like it doesn't hurt you. But it does hurt you, it killed your sister, and in turn, it hurts you.

How about your children? You'd have killed your own children too. All because you want to play it tough. Italy is in full lockdown, because they wanted to play it cool, but now look at them. Germany wanted to play it cool, but even Merkel realizes that it's out of control.

Oh please, it's cool bruh! It's just a flu, bruh! More people die from traffic accidents, bruh! No need to be afraid, bruh! Everything will blow over, bruh! No need to hide in the house, bruh! No need to lose your cool, bruh! No face mask is fine, bruh, give it all to doctors, bruh! Who cares if I'm infected, bruh, I'm strong, bruh!

But this is the perfect time to lose your cool. There is no cure, unlike flu. There is no avoiding it, unlike traffic accidents. The best thing you can do is delay its spread and hope that it won't be able to reach critical mass to spread over to your area.

While panicking may not be the best move, you have no other choice. If your country has reached critical mass like Italy, Iran, Germany, China and South Korea, it's already too late for you. Hunker down with your loved ones and hope none of them perish from this.

imK, runsing, Westeller and 1 other person like this.
  17. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you did. But not everyone is you and not everyone has your circumstances.
    You might not be panicking but how about your neighbor? Your community? It's human nature to panic and give in to fear, especially if there are vulnerable family members involved. And once everybody starts panicking, it spreads because it's in our brain telling to be on survival mode.

Telling people not to panic sometimes gives an adverse effect of making people more panicky. The government advises against hoarding but you do really think they will punish people who did? For what? For thinking about surviving in self-isolation without basic needs?

People have a right to panic if they feel so. Saying panicking too much or too little doesn't help the conversation.

Okay, declare me dead next week. Wished I could have spend all my money. At least I wont be paying bills anymore.

this-is-not-fine-001-dae9d5-1.png

We have 3 confirmed cases just within the span of the day. But no, everything is just peachy.

imK, elengee, Ai chan and 1 other person like this.
  18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no cure for the flu. There's medication for symptoms, at best, and that's equally true for the coronavirus.

imK, KuroKaze and Ai chan like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    But there is no medication for coronavirus. People have been saying that HIV drugs can medicate Covid-19, but it's not confirmed and it's still being tested. Some people even sold colloidal silver as a cure, but it's not confirmed either. With flu at least, there is a vaccine, but there is none for Covid-19. Sure, the flu vaccine is not 100% effective, but it's still effective enough that it's not as scary while there is no such thing for Covid-19. The closest vaccine we supposedly have hasn't even gone through human testing phase yet.

imK likes this.
  20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Err. What? Colloidal silver? That's just snake oil. ... Geez, I wasn't talking about a vaccine. Vaccines are not cures. They're preventative measures. Something you take *before* you get sick to reduce the chance that you will. There is no cure for the flu. There are vaccines, yes, but no cures. If you get the flu, all you can do is medicate the symptoms until it passes.

So. Medication for symptoms. Coronavirus presents with a fever and a cough most often, and some other symptoms with variation. Y'know what you do for a cough? You take cough suppressants. You know what you do for a fever? You take fever reducers.

So you get coronavirus, you take .. idk, Tylenol. Cough syrup. Acetaminophen in your preferred brand. Whatever.

Same as for the flu. The symptoms are about the same, and, yes, they're both incredibly dangerous to the elderly or immunocompromised. This strain of the coronavirus is more deadly than the average flu strain, but there is a damn good reason people are comparing them: they're essentially the same thing. Neither has a cure.

Reindeer and AliceShiki like this.