Agree or disagree with this post about diseases or illnesses or conditions getting cured or treated?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Arguably, almost any disease or illness or condition could be either cured or at least treated, be it in the past, present, or future. The one that we will never truly cure or truly treat is stupidity. This is especially the case with Flat-Earthers, various forms of climate denial, SJWs, racial superiority, etc.

Agree or disagree?

2. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree, but I wouldn’t call that stupidity though.. imo it’s either arrogance, ignorance or poor upbringing where the environment shaped such distorted world views or a combination of all the above.

Eg. the place they were brought up caused his ignorance which lead to their arrogance on said matter

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Lisarra

Lisarra 『 The one under the rock 』

Reading List:
    Link
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Disagree. There are likely many diseases that cannot be effectively treated. They are just rare.

PS: There actually were attempted treatments for stupidity. Specifically, the eugenics movement tried to eradicate stupidity by euthanizing mentally handicapped people.

6. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's sex reassignment surgery... but then you'd be a prick!

8. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a cure for stupidity.

It's called genetics, sure it will still take a while for it to actually be used on human babies, but it can prevent any brain deformity or undergrowth.

That is if your definition of stupidity is biological. If it's just based on their different perspective in life then yeah there's no cure for our humans' diversity in philosophies.

asriu likes this.
  9. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Anti-vaxers come to mind. *rolls her eyes*

I accept that some people cannot be vaccinated....children that have low immunity or had transplants come to mind. But everyone else needs to get vaccinated to eradicate avoidable diseases. It's about inoculating the masses so that the incidents of these diseases diminish and eventually 'disappear'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have an issue with this.... >_>

imK and otaku31 like this.
  10. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    people believe what they want to believe~
    best thing can do is to prevent it spread while trying to quarantine those who hmmm infected?
    another thing to refute or not refute are politic and or economic gain~

12. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Pardon? this was just meant as a general statement about science vs feelings/unsubstantiated opinions. Like flat earther, climate change (for me, not global warming), etc. >_> there is a lot of silliness going on because people ignore just basic science and common sense.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it for the upper class hmm people on power perhaps?
    the example climate change and energy based on fossil fuel~ science study to solve that problem kinda hmm lacking on funds~ nope some upper class do really understand where the problem lie~ it just they choice not solve it by science cuz reason I stated before~
    similarly how sjw popularity or how religion or race problem used for political gain~
    imo common cat sure have problem with this stupidity cuz education problem but most blame still fall on the leader~
    they know it wrong but still used for personal gain~

14. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand where you are coming from. You are saying there are other considerations that can influence a person's opinion. However, 1. I can't discuss my view on government, politics, religion and what not here on NUF.....Forum Rules. 2. Science does not need any of those things to be true.

What I can discuss openly is that there is a difference between a scientific fact based on tried and true methods of experimentation. i.e. scientific method that can duplicate the same experiment over and over again to get the same result...and a person's opinion without the proof required to be a fact.

In your argument, the information provided by CDC is as valid as Alex Jones peddling Colloidal Silver as a cure for the Coronavirus. >_> It is dangerous and irresponsible to give arguments like that validity.

I'm not saying science has all the answers, there is always something to learn AND to debunk, but it's better than wishing on fairies or throwing your money away out of irrational fear. :(

Prayer works too, but in my opinion, God helps best those that help themselves.

MadraRua likes this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah that ok~ it just easier to spot ridiculous thing from politic pov~ it effect on national level~ I kinda lazy to try research silly thing from education pov cuz it not popular and harder to examined~
    not understand common science can examined by how person education fare~ how education system work as whole, it aim, area hmm effect? coverage? hmm not sure best term.for it~ education affect critical thinking be it formal or informal education~
    hmm put it simple some stupidity exist cuz people indirectly or directly raised to be stupid~
    people who have better education formal or informal sometime forget not everyone as lucky as them so kinda hmm dissonant no no what term used to explain point a not meet point b?

Femme Fatale likes this.
  16. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me see if I understand, you are saying that people's cultures, education, etc can affect their ability to comprehend science or common sense vs opinion?

I can agree with that but to a point. My parents cannot read or write, which makes it difficult at times to convey scientific information, but when I take the time to explain they can understand the general point, learn and adapt. Sometimes, demonstrations need to happen or I need a video to show something...but that's besides the point I want to make. The reason they learn is because, I think, they are willing to listen and know there is more to life than their opinions. If you aren't willing to listen for understanding, then it doesn't matter what education/culture/socioeconomic background/idiosyncrasies you may have...that unwillingness will stop you from learning/understanding. This applies to all age groups...children, teenagers, adults, etc.

I so want to quote Bible scripture to explain something, but I can't. (forum rules)

asriu likes this.
  17. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the sake of this thread, stupidity excludes the mentally retarded except when using "retarded" in a figurative sense about SJWs.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    problem lay on are they willing right? based on my experience it may cuz personality background plus experience~
    hmmm personality is another matter that may involved plenty of various factor~ as for experience let say how wide type of person someone know or what kind of live experience someone have~
    example someone born and raised on rural area, lack on formal education, never venture much to outside then let say cheap internet pop up so that person can communicate with outsider~ what will happen? sure it extreme case but it not impossible to encounter it~
    I'm not saying these retard sorry stupid people cannot be cured it just sometimes those who not willing to listen no matter what you do may have deeper root on it~ a
    decade ago there people who still think menstruation is dirty blood, no kidding cuz I heard myself it not even on rural area but on city~ when I try to explained.... it was amusing let say some agree while other not~
    there also type who not trust outsider cuz..... various reason~ there was also a friend who seriously think about sjw thing but with screw up arguments put it simple only take what pro while disregard cons~ learn on reputable distinguish uni by scholarship which only aimed for smart person~

living on developing country with various disparate infrastructure, economy, health, education ect teach me to try to not laughing or condem stupidity~ unless it for joke sake~ well it just make me dislikes more those who called intellectual or leader who manipulate some poor dumb cat~

tbh this cat enjoy arguments between so called stupid and smart cat~
    for da lul
    19668.png

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupidity can always be cured by making people earn some Darwin Awards~

20. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link