Discussion Hypocrite

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Invisalats, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypocrite is not a technical term which requires a degree of satisfaction before being applied. It is inherently something that can't be debated on substantially without, as you put it, understanding the definition.

imK and MadraRua like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon corn.png
    go on don't mind me

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither, because they are both practicing what they preach. Did you by any chance mistake inaction for hypocricy?

I'm not really sure if these are good examples, because frankly, 2 out of 3 of them are "necessary evils". Air travel is a necessary evil in modern day because there is no alternative while armed security is a necessity for them to do their job. Gun ownership while arguing for a total gun ban though is arguably a case for double standards. It's just the other 2 are not really optional or have alternatives.

imK and ongoingwhy like this.
  4. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link

Nightow1 likes this.
  5. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't view it as a hypocrisy because two of them have their own ideals or preaching you are speaking, what if you put yourself in the little boy shoes and think about it, Iam taking both of their respective persona's, if you can't save every homeless dogs, then would that make the little boy care and concern as useless and its same if you put yourself into shoes of the old man, don't detach from the story itself and think from their individual perspectives

6. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    .... but none of that is hypocrisy. Lack of empathy maybe but definitely not hypocrisy.
    I think you might have a misunderstanding of what hypocrisy is. It's saying one thing and doing the opposite, which neither of the people in your story is doing. If the old man was saying "Don't feed the dog" while feeding it or the boy was going "Someone should feed the dog" while holding a sack of dogfood he wants to throw away, THEN that is hypocrisy. Nothing of what you have narrated is hypocritical by any means because they are doing what they are telling others to.

imK, ongoingwhy and yuzen like this.
  7. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you heard of judgmental hypocrites?I'm showing in terms of actions between the two and if you put into emotions
    You are certainly true about lack of empathy.
    thanks for your thoughts..

8. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the problem, you can't even call them judgemental hypocrites because there isn't even any hypocrisy. I think you really misunderstood what hypocrisy means, even "judgemental hypocrites" can't be used in a case like this because no one is judging anyone in your story nor is anyone doing the opposite of their advice.

I think you got the meanings of the words wrong in both cases Judgemental or hypocrisy.
    Just to confirm, English isn't your first language is it?

ongoingwhy and yuzen like this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What's ptr?

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    You're misunderstanding something, I am not saying you're judgemental or something , I know hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, standards that does not actually have. A sort of deception of others and is thus lie,
    I think there is no barrier between us when it comes to english. Forget about all of this, my story is about this part..

11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I'm reacting, I'd say no. lol.

imK likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Better examples would be like when, politicians and business leaders push to raise minimum wage to $x and they themselves don't pay that as a minimum wage to their staff. Or when business leaders talk about virtues of unions and don't allow their staff to unionize.
    If I give more concrete examples the thread would get locked.

imK and Nightow1 like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    A pointer value. It points to other data rather than holding any.

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  14. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is so hypocritical.

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    You are missing one thing in those examples though, someone can say something is bad while openly doing it themselves, while also making ill-founded excuses that there is nothing bad about it when they do it for whatever reason.
    Those cases can arguably be worse than the hypocrites that keep their behaviour secret because that openly undermines the advice given.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Smokers that tell others to not smoke don't pretend that they don't smoke.

It's usually like... "You shouldn't smoke, because smoking costs a lot of money, makes your teeth yellow, gives you cancer, makes you lose stamina, you start coughing more, and is super hard to stop once you start. Believe me, I tried more times than I can count. Addiction sucks."

That's not being hypocritical, that's being addicted to something they no longer wish to be addicted to, and trying to stop other people from making the same bad decisions they did in their youth.

asriu likes this.
  17. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've met people who smokes who do that.

Technically you can use E cigarettes, but they say it's the same thing if they are going to get cancer.

In my experiences? Smokers don't give a crap about others than themselves and the enjoyment of the addiction. They don't care if it makes other people irritated, they say they care about their own health, but not enough. While smoking They don't care about the family they leave if they die of cancer or the medical bills associated with it.

Are there my smoker friends who cared about all of the above? Yes. They quit. Period.

What's with the hate? I have a weak allergic lung due to smokes from my brother. Didn't realized fast enough to get away. My dad died due to cancer coz of smoking. My brother is having financial problems, but he still smokes anyway after a heart attack procedure. A known associate of mine didn't listen to his wife and kept smoking, his toddler died because of smoke residues in his lung and got pneumonia, then he stopped.

We are all hypocrites. Just own it. Let these fucking smokers know and own their own hypocrisy. Prob someday they will wake up and quit.

18. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it really hypocrite if they are self-aware?

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You're generalizing your bad personal experiences and applying it to a larger group. *shrugs*

justmehere likes this.